The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crappy Ultalite distorting like hell Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Crappy Ultalite distorting like hell

im not talking about the mic pres getting too hot of a signal. its more like the audio driver is ripping apart and extreme noise distortion starts and scares the ****te out of me and whom ever is close by.
sometimes it starts with a little crakling with small pops and getting worst and worst until it distorts. this way i can restart before it goes into hell mode. but otther times it goes into hell mode randomly. damn its loud ..

i updated everything several times.
havent heard back from motu yet.

this is under OSX 10.4 PPC.

anyone with the same issue?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Had a similar issue with the Echo audiofire 12. I eventually sold it, but I learned that it was caused by a setting in the Audio MIDI Setup application. Basically, you have to go in there and make sure the interface is set as the source for sync. Mine worked sometimes, but then you'd hear these random pops and clicks, and then it would do some violently loud stuff, and sometimes not play audio at all, just crazy chopped up noise.

I'd try messing with some settings in there and your audio application. Sounds like it's a sync issue to me.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

interesting.

but for the internal audio drive it only has an option for internal or external sync. but no choice for ultralite.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

i re intalled the driver and my computer is giving me the mesage of death...
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

What message is that?

My computer totally locked last night while I was updating to the most recent security update. Gave me a little scare, it's damn rare that my macs ever completely freeze.

I'd try setting it to external, if that's the only option. Under the 'Properties for' menu select the MOTU (it has to be attached), then select external for the clock source.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

the mesage is called "kernel panic " or something. when it turns gray and it tells u in difrent languages to do hard reset.

but too late now. the computer doesnt work anymore. everytime I start it up it brings the kernel panic. thus, o cant troubleshoot. so i start it in target disk mode, saved some files i needed and im going to reinstall OSX.
but to Motus credit, the tech guy at apple told me to reset the memory by unplugin everything, even the power, and holding start for 30 seconds. start it and hit comand, option, P and R to reset Pram. thats when the computer said.. bye bye.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, that's a drag. I haven't had to reinstall os x. I do have a G5 iMac myself, and have had to have the motherboard replaced a couple of times, because there's a capacitor that blows from the heat. So far, Apple has done it for free, usually with a 2 day turnaround.

I've had a few kernel panics, but not during startup, as a rule. If you can boot from the OS X DVD, you might try running disk utility and repairing permissions. It sounds like some file got corrupted, or your hard drive has bad sectors.

Good luck!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

nope, no hope for me in the horizon. ran disk utility but running the g5 in target disk mode. the drive and permision where fine. but still it ghives the kernel panic.... so reintalled everything now. or i am reintalling everything now.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
nope, no hope for me in the horizon. ran disk utility but running the g5 in target disk mode. the drive and permision where fine. but still it ghives the kernel panic.... so reintalled everything now. or i am reintalling everything now.
Hmmm... assuming you can get the machine to boot again, why not try a Firewire PCI card with the Ultralite? I've had customers with blown Firewire ports on their Macs do this and it almost always works.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
Hmmm... assuming you can get the machine to boot again, why not try a Firewire PCI card with the Ultralite? I've had customers with blown Firewire ports on their Macs do this and it almost always works.

well, thats how i have it conected right now. and before. tried difrent ways.

after re-installing OSX, all my programs and plugins its happening again. even with the DVD player. out of noware. i hear a little distortion and sudenly a kernel panic and system crash. on a new system. i reset the factory default in the ultralite everytime.

motu tech suport actually is replying to my mesages so lets see this time. i told them i just cant sell this junk i am not an a-hole. im not selling something that doesnt work and bring hardship to a fellow musician.... karma dude

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search