The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Lamb of God the new Pantera??? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Is Lamb of God the new Pantera???

Hi I think that music is so close to waves over the sea, a wave hit over the coast and it back again to the sea, after a few minutes we can think that the same wave strikes again.
Well there was about 13 years ago that I don´t hear nothing at speed metal or trash metal, maybe because I opened my mind into another kind of music, but nowadays I´m recovering all my old LP and hearing it again, about 16 years old I was really trapped with pantera, they create a new music style that sounds very cool, they really impresioned me. That heavy guitars, that might drums and that broken voice singer makes an inflexion point on heavies of my generation.
Well today I was seeing MTV and I see and hear a band called Lamb of God, some of my friends know them but I never see them before. Well after seeing and hearing a few videoclips of that brand the seems to me really really closest to Pantera style ever seen. What do you think??? will be another metal heads becoming on the next years???? I think that it is so hard to get over Pantera they was really great, but... that Lamb of God are so close
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Lamb of God>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pantera
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

no way
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Lamb of God vocals and guitars are so much better than Pantera. Less cheese, more wow, and more meaningful songs IMO.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Lamb of God vocals and guitars are so much better than Pantera. Less cheese, more wow, and more meaningful songs IMO.
And the award for most backwards statement of the year goes to...

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Lamb of God bores the hell out of me. I love metal, but these guys are so cliche it's not even funny.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

lamb of god and pantera are both pretty awful, unless they've got some nostalgic value to you i think you should put your time towards listening to something a bit less cornball.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmanning View Post
lamb of god and pantera are both pretty awful, unless they've got some nostalgic value to you i think you should put your time towards listening to something a bit less cornball.
You said it perfectly.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Thumbs down CORNBALL?????

This made me laugh. How can anyone call Pantera or Lamb of God cornball ??? Someone should throw you in a Lamb of God mosh pit. That will show you how cornball they are!!!! Now, back to the original topic....Lamb of God is just another death metal band. I really don't understand how they got to play the main stage at Ozzfest, but anyway....they can not compare to Pantera. Just my opinion. Well, time to go listen to some more "cornball" music......lol
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

No, as they don't really sound anything alike.

They just stepped into the Pantera-shaped hole.

My fellow bandmates are just a little too much in love with Pantera & Lamb of God though...
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
And the award for most backwards statement of the year goes to...

Words stolen from my brain, before they reached my mouth...(well fingers, I guess)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Lamb of God bores the hell out of me. I love metal, but these guys are so cliche it's not even funny.
Harsh, but yep. The guitar players are so safe. I've not heard anything inventive, and I like metal. I approached them as an optimist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methmetal View Post
This made me laugh. How can anyone call Pantera or Lamb of God cornball ??? Someone should throw you in a Lamb of God mosh pit. That will show you how cornball they are!!!! Now, back to the original topic....Lamb of God is just another death metal band. I really don't understand how they got to play the main stage at Ozzfest, but anyway....they can not compare to Pantera. Just my opinion. Well, time to go listen to some more "cornball" music......lol
Because we all know a band is only as good as the pit it can generate (PLEASE READ AS SARCASM!)

I guess SYL and Meshuggah are cornball, because fans can't beat each other up to 7/4, eh? Nothing more comical than a bunch of kids at a Meshuggah show. Every one bopping heads out of time, growing increasingly frustrated, nauseous, or confused because they can't find 1 and 3.

Back on topic...sorry, OP, but LOG=. Saw 'em at Ozzfest this year, and live too. (BTW: Daath on the 2nd stage were great!)
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't get really understand how a band like LOG gets so much press when a band like Strapping Young Lad is our there kicking their ass all over the stage.

LOG are a decent metal band, to a point- but SYL are something else all together.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe the ignorance shown in calling Darrell Abbott's playing "safe". Listen to Cowboys From Hell just for starters. Steve Vai Himself said in a published article, [slight paraphrase] "I can't Shred anything close to what Dimebag can do."

How many guitar players can brag that their signature model guitar (let alone that they have one in the first place) is able to boast perfect intonation at every fret. Dimebag Darrell [RIP] is among the greatest guitarists ever... so don't be insulting the guy with cheapshots like "cornball". You might be rolling your eyes, but honestly... if you don't like it, listen to something else, you don't need to badmouth it.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
I liked Burn the Priest.

LoG material, however, is so incredibly boring my heart completely slows down and stops every time I hear them. LoG sounds like so many other bands right now I can't even bring myself to care whatsoever. SNORE.

Nobody sounds or sounded like Pantera. Except maybe Exhorder, but we won't go into that. People will still be talking about Pantera in 20 years. Nobody will care about LoG in 10 years.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

heh heh, are we dancing about architecture again?

I loved Pantera back in the day, but I have to admit that while the music was killer that Phil's neanderthal chest beating was pretty cheesy... I used to go to every metal show that went thru Mpls in the 90s and Pantera was the only band that brought the ex-jocks with the shaved heads who wanted to hurt people in the mosh pit. Oh yeah people get hurt in mosh pits but there's usually an unspoken respect for everyone else, just get outta the way.

Lamb of God, meh, I really wanted to like them and believe the hype, but they left me pretty cold.

Now Machine Head, there's a band that not only filled Pantera's shoes, but outgrew them! I can't get enough of The Blackening and I don't even listen to metal anymore... love it.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
I can't believe the ignorance shown in calling Darrell Abbott's playing "safe". Listen to Cowboys From Hell just for starters. Steve Vai Himself said in a published article, [slight paraphrase] "I can't Shred anything close to what Dimebag can do."

How many guitar players can brag that their signature model guitar (let alone that they have one in the first place) is able to boast perfect intonation at every fret. Dimebag Darrell [RIP] is among the greatest guitarists ever... so don't be insulting the guy with cheapshots like "cornball". You might be rolling your eyes, but honestly... if you don't like it, listen to something else, you don't need to badmouth it.
I'm the only one who used the term "Safe" in this thread....and if you read my post, I was speaking of LOG, not Pantera. Gawd, not Pantera....Darrell could play.

Hopefully you've just read my post, and made a mistake.....
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
Dimebag Darrell [RIP] is among the greatest guitarists ever...
Really? I never heard any one say anything of the sort before he died, but maybe I wasn't listening. Shredding ...s ounds dull to me. It dosent impress me.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by methmetal View Post
You never saw Pantera when they were GLAM METAL!! With Phil singing even!

They release 2 tapes of the Glam metal stuff, that you will never find. I remember people telling me back in the day how heavy Pantera was....at the time I didnt know they did a metal 180......
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I don't get really understand how a band like LOG gets so much press when a band like Strapping Young Lad is our there kicking their ass all over the stage.

Yeah, i´m agree with that...but to tell the truth just their two firts albums (heavy as a really heavy thing and city) of SYL was amazing...the rest is very good but not so good as their two first albums.

Even so...the only problem between the popularity of LOG and SYL have a name: MARKETING (LOG´s marketing is better )...
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrheroiNe View Post
Yeah, i´m agree with that...but to tell the truth just their two firts albums (heavy as a really heavy thing and city) of SYL was amazing...the rest is very good but not so good as their two first albums.

Even so...the only problem between the popularity of LOG and SYL have a name: MARKETING (LOG´s marketing is better )...
It is a personal choice I guess- but I am loving "The New Black" as much as I loved "City".
Marketing- yes there is no getting away from it I guess- but at least we know where the real metal is. :-)
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodDamn View Post
Really? I never heard any one say anything of the sort before he died, but maybe I wasn't listening. Shredding ...s ounds dull to me. It dosent impress me.
Shredding is "boring" although that is of course deeply opinionated... but yes, it is flashy and not nessicarly skillful. Dimebag, on the otherhand, did it in such a way where he simply played with a passion and feeling that some of the greatest guitarist of our time [Steve Vai as an Example] have a tough time touching. 'Dimebag' for those who don't know but may be interested, actually won many many state and national competitions as a young player, and went on to be a hero to many players. It is my personal belif, that he was blessed with that unique southern passion that is hard to match... A prime example being Stevie Ray Vaughan : Many people can play like him, and close to him... but its just not the same. The man could play with a passion that is hard to match. Anyways, that is what many believe 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott did for Shredding / Metal Guitar Playing.

If your bored a classic example would be 'Cowboys From Hell'

YMMV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
I'm the only one who used the term "Safe" in this thread....and if you read my post, I was speaking of LOG, not Pantera. Gawd, not Pantera....Darrell could play.

Hopefully you've just read my post, and made a mistake.....
Guilty as charged. I very much made a mistake. Don't type when tired I guess I will have to remind myself.

Quote:
I guess SYL and Meshuggah are cornball, because fans can't beat each other up to 7/4, eh? Nothing more comical than a bunch of kids at a Meshuggah show. Every one bopping heads out of time, growing increasingly frustrated, nauseous, or confused because they can't find 1 and 3.
Big respect for that part of the post. I actually missed the Meshuggah concert in toronto a few years back and I really regret it. It would have been great to see the crowd moshing during the coda in Future Breed Machine

What an awsome band =)

P.S> Side note : You do know it is Thomas Hawke playing drums on 'Toontrack's DKFH : Superior' Virtual Drumming Software yeah? I almost bought it as soon as I saw that! What a WILD drummer =)
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
It is a personal choice I guess- but I am loving "The New Black" as much as I loved "City".
Marketing- yes there is no getting away from it I guess- but at least we know where the real metal is. :-)

I think my problem with SYL´s new albums after "City" its that, for me, these albums sounds more like a Devin Townsend´s solo albums, especially their third record "SYL".
"City" and "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing" are metal albums with a crazy punk Attitude and the new albums sounds great and destroyer but haven´t this ..."crazy and young freshness"...

Anyway...i think that´s normal, of course. ¡The are humans! (i think...haha).
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I guess SYL and Meshuggah are cornball, because fans can't beat each other up to 7/4, eh?
Well, Meshuggah is mostly simple 4/4.

And, regarding Lamb of god, I think of them more as a new Testament. I don´t think they have much to do with Pantera.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

check this out if you want to hear who is the new pantera. listen to holy roller. you will either be amused or disgusted guaranteed it took me a couple of listens, but i am finally forgiving them and digging the tune.

MySpace.com - THROWDOWN {The New Album: In Stores NOW} - Orange County - Metal / Hardcore / Thrash - www.myspace.com/throwdown

i think as far as lamb of god goes, except for redneck i dont hear any more pantera in them than any other band that was influenced by pantera. which is alot of bands by anyones count.
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Addict

Back to the topic.
I found this video
YouTube - Lamb Of God-Redneck(uncensored)

This sounds to me exactly to Pantera.

Other question, what does " Redneck " means in slang words ( think that I´m from Spain )?????

Last edited by ezrecords; 22nd February 2008 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: bad link
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

I spent 5 weeks working on Gigantour 2 I thought LOG was one of the better bands on the tour along with Into Eternity (of Course) !!
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Maniac

Into Eternity kicks azz!!!

I await the return of Death Angel next week

Back on topic LOG is a good band and the musicianship is pretty tight, Randy is a decent vocalist at best though, He does know how to work a crowd in his defense
Old 22nd February 2008
pantera is pantera. period.

log is a good band but they lack so many things to be big and good like ol'pantera.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

I'll take Mastodon over any of the above mentioned yahoos.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

LOG are nothing compared to Pantera. Seriously, will LOG ever have a "Walk", "Cemetary Gates", "5 Minutes Alone" or "Cowboys From Hell" I think not. Pantera are legends because they wrote killer songs, and re-invented metal, back when "metal" was a bad word.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search