The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Lamb of God the new Pantera??? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Head

I was debating this with my friends almost two years ago. Lamb of God is taking the place of Pantera since they resided due to misfortunes..but they don't really sound the same to me or my friends.. If you compared for example As the Palaces Burn had way to much high midrange compared to full on fidelity with Reinventing the Steel. If you could put Dimebag with his crazy effects and solos side by side with Lamb of God you would just get a generic sound out of Lamb of God with your chug chugs, palm mutes and double bass...where Pantera always seemed to keep this more dark southern kick your ass out of a swamp sound...even though Vinnie Paul is not as impressive as lamb's drummer.

P.s. not to change the subject, but if you want really good metal. Living Sacrifice and their album "The Hammering Process" plus they are reuniting!
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

To me Lamb of God is what editing and Pro Tools sound like if abused to hell.
Old 22nd February 2008
Smile

l.o.g. the new pantera?

no, but pink is the new orange....

Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Nut

Pantera had a good guitar player.

Lamb of god doesn`t.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LackOfIntelect View Post

Lamb of god doesn`t.
LOL- yes, they have two.
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristen View Post
even though Vinnie Paul is not as impressive as lamb's drummer.
True, Vinnie paul ain`t THAT good. But he sure is a lot better that lamb`s drummer.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
Other question, what does " Redneck " means in slang words ( think that I´m from Spain )?????
urbandictionary.com is a good source for slang, if youre not sure check it out.

Redneck-
Mildly offensive term for a lower class white person from the southeastern states of the USA. Derives from someone who spent a lot of time on manual labour outside and so received a "red neck" from the sun.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I picked up the 'producer edition' of the last LOG cd (its basically just the stems from the album in mp3's). The drums are for sure snapped to a grid but I was suprised at how 'loose' some of the guitar tracks were. I tried copying and pasting sections and flipping the phase to see if they copied and pasted parts and its all played... no copying and pasting of choruses or anything.

I'd say the new LOG cd is less pro tooled then your average modern metal record. Aside from the drums (and who doesn't BD drums on major label releases) it sounds like there's very little studio trickery other then a lot of punches and good takes.
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Maniac

I am a big LOG fan. I have actually seen them in concert 3 times. While I will say that yes they do Protools their albums, in concert they sound just as good. They are a very tight band and quite talented. Some people may not dig the music, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

That being said, I am a HUGE Pantera fan. And in my opinion, no one will be the next Pantera. Just like there will never be another Beatles or Led Zep.

My two cents.

ScottyD
Old 22nd February 2008
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
While I will say that yes they do Protools their albums, in concert they sound just as good.
that's because they're most likely playing along with their own pro tools tracks -
like everyone else - only maybe they do it a little better than the average signed live band heh

these days there's very little difference between major label / major indie metal bands
and major label / major indie pop stars, in terms of live production...in MANY cases.

think the label's going to sit back and have their band suck live?

think again......you can also think twice about who's actually playing the parts
on many of those records, because believe me, if the players can't pull it off,
the label producers will make damn sure SOMEONE will.

(gee why does that snare sound so fat?.....
i can't believe he gets that kickdrum sound live - that's sick.....
and those GUITARS.....holy f*ck....hmmmmm, i wonder....
well....i produce backing tracks for live rock and pop bands,
and people come up to me after the shows - ENGINEERS, mind you,
and are like HOLY SH*T - the drums sound AWESOME -
yeah?.. that's because there are like 15 more drum kits behind the frikkin drummer,
how does he GET those TOMS to sound like that LIVE??
....i need the number of your SOUND guy.....hilarious...
yeah, it's because we use vintage u47s on the kit.. and aurora pres..heh....)

Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

LOG definetly arent playing to tracks live. Those guitar players are very very tight and take what they do seriously.

Its not like their music is that complex that really solid well rehearsed players cant pull it off live..
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
that's because they're most likely playing along with their own pro tools tracks -
like everyone else - only maybe they do it a little better than the average signed live band heh

Well I can say after touring with LOG for 5 weeks -
On that tour I was on, they weren't using tracks.
Old 24th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Being a big youtube studio vid junky, I found this gives some insight on the band.

YouTube - Lamb Of God In The Studio
Old 25th February 2008
jrp
Lives for gear

Pantera - best band in the world for me.
Special about them: they groove like hell. good songs. most metal bands sound like midiplaybacks compared to that.
I like pop and classical and anything that touches me. I just never fealt that brutal force in any music before or ever since.

what are log supposed to have to do with them?
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
You never saw Pantera when they were GLAM METAL!! With Phil singing even!

They release 2 tapes of the Glam metal stuff, that you will never find. I remember people telling me back in the day how heavy Pantera was....at the time I didnt know they did a metal 180......
they have 4+ glam records. You can still buy 3 of them. I have all of them. It's more like priest than glam. lyrics are corny. But so are 95% of metal lyrics. And so are 99% of ALL lyrics.

Who cares. If a bands' music takes you somewhere then they are a good band.

As far as pure metal goes there are really only 5 or 6 bands that are not contrived or cliche. Everything that's come out since 1990 or so falls under the category of cliche'. It's all been done and it's all been done better.

I like Pantera, they obviously had there influences. Dime was Hetfield to the bone with Randy or Eddie lead playing thrown in. Lamb is just a polished Slayer with a Phil Anselmo type Extreme metal singer.

Everyone knows Pantera was just a ripoff of Metallica and Exhorder. But I love them just the same

pantera
Old 2nd March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
they have 4+ glam records. You can still buy 3 of them. I have all of them. It's more like priest than glam. lyrics are corny. But so are 95% of metal lyrics. And so are 99% of ALL lyrics.

As far as pure metal goes there are really only 5 or 6 bands that are not contrived or cliche. Everything that's come out since 1990 or so falls under the category of cliche'. It's all been done and it's all been done better.

I like Pantera, they obviously had there influences. Dime was Hetfield to the bone with Randy or Eddie lead playing thrown in. Lamb is just a polished Slayer with a Phil Anselmo type Extreme metal singer.

Everyone knows Pantera was just a ripoff of Metallica and Exhorder. But I love them just the same

pantera
God is a ripoff of me.
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

pantera
Pantera is LAME...time to listen to some Brutal Truth!!!

Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

I definately hear Pantera in Lamb Of God. That`s a good thing in my book.
I also hear some Metallica (Justice) and even some Mega (Rust) ....

Thomas
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you wanted any of the Sacrament vid's they were using Logic...
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Pantera is LAME...time to listen to some Brutal Truth!!!

Err... wow.

But I do agree about Brutal Truth. Killtrend Suicide is a GREAT record.
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Nut

Pantera is better than any metal band out right now. Metal won't die, but right now metal sucks....Its mostly your guys fault! There is too much production, beat detecting and bull**** in it right now. Metal should be raw, with mistakes (like Slayer, decade of aggression)....bands these days have nothing to say, or think they're vampires...lame! dfegad
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Agree...that goes for most metal right now....

When Lombardo came back, they beat detected him, and now he sounds no different then Bostaph. Lombardo is one of the few heavy drummers who has a groove, even when he is thrashing. Now, slayer has been overproduced I hate to say...quit making records for robots PEOPLE!
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Err... wow.

But I do agree about Brutal Truth. Killtrend Suicide is a GREAT record.
I love "extreme conditions"

sdf
Old 11th March 2008
Here for the gear

i bet you like pro wrestling too and think its real.....ever see a chick at one of these shows...hmmm angry and homo-erotic...just a bit.
Old 29th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LackOfIntelect View Post

Lamb of god doesn`t.
You've got to be kidding. Willie Adler and Mark morton are both awesome guitarists and they are as different to each other in style and writing as they are to Dimebag. Dimebag is awesome, but so are Mark and Willie. They can pull out some brutal technical riffs. Dimebags talent to me truelly lied in his ability to make a really simple riff completley catchy, groovy and infectious. Most simple riff are boring but Dimebags came from the heart. I think LOG lack heart compared to Dimebag, but thats not all playing guitar is about. Its a big part but not everything.

The last post on this thread was almost 2 years ago before mine. Since then LOG have brought out Wrath. To all you people who just put down Sacrament as an excercise in post production, what do you think of Wrath?
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post

How many guitar players can brag that their signature model guitar (let alone that they have one in the first place) is able to boast perfect intonation at every fret
Perfect intonation at every fret?

This is impossible for amultitude of reasons....

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search