The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motivation Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Unhappy Motivation

Hi. New guy here. Just wondered if anyone can share thier battles with writers/recording block and motivation issues. I've got a home recording project that I need to start and haven't been able to make myself sit down and start laying the foundation for the first song. Don't understand what it is. I know once I start that I'll be totally into it. Anyone have a similar problem?

Thanks, and by the way, this community is the best!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

I think with a studio, it's even more important not to get fractured and go in too many directions all at once. That's kind of a death knell for creativity, for me anway. It's important for me to stay focused. So if I'm writing I'm not EQing or compressing or otherwise futzing with gear. When I'm not writing I can be futzing. When I'm playing guitar I play guitar and I'm not messing with my mic or routing my DAW.

I think it's crucial to know what hat you're wearing at any given time or you end up wearing none because you're trying to wear too many at once.

Welcom to GS btw!
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the welcome Henry. You're right. I've been so easily distracted and have had a difficult time deciding what to do first and how to do it. One problem is having too many choices with sounds, eq, etc. When I go into the room to start, I usually end up fooling around with stuff that really has little to do with recording the parts and wasting time tweaking for no reason!

Great to be here. I have a long way to go, and thanks to Gearslutz I'm learning every day.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

i can relate. i think the most important thing for me is just to get started doing something--to be in the studio working. when i need to get started on a specific project, it's key to be physically in the studio, whatever it is that gets me there: mixing down an old project, creating sounds, even housekeeping.

what works best for me, though, is just to get a simple two-mic setup going with reverb dialed in at most, take my acoustic, and just start recording bedroom covers. before long i'm inevitably into something else, and often something useful.

good luck and get in the studio!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

One is motivation in the first place. But motivation can get lost with too many choices.

I never waste time (for me) with sounds when I'm writing. I can take hours looking for sounds. I just get something up and put a sketch down. Well to be truthful any more I write it down first like the old way, with pencil and manuscript paper or on Sibelius. Then when it's more or less written I draft it out with my guitar, DP, Kontakt2, Battery, etc.. Each step I'll detail it more until I'm bored. heh
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Great suggestions and help. I should do some sketching out of parts like I used to on my VS-880. That would be the smart thing to do. And should do some housekeeping to get the crap cleaned up from around my work area, and clear a path to the computer!

Thanks to all.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Oblique Strategies can help!

Oblique Strategies
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the link to"Oblique Strategies" David. Brian Eno huh? Sounds interesting. I need all the help I can get.

Peace
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I hate engineering my own stuff. I guess it's that right / left brain thing.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
Thanks for the link to"Oblique Strategies" David. Brian Eno huh? Sounds interesting. I need all the help I can get.

Peace
I consider them as something very simple but that can change the way you approach something. Can be very interesting and can really help.

Also, from small acorns big oaks grow. Sometimes it's hard to imagine where you are going, so just focus on something small. Don't think of the bigger picture. Just play some chords and slowly work on them adding or taking away certain notes etc.

BUT, anyone who tries to do original creative work will have blocks at some point, so don't see it as a problem. Maybe see it as the need to look further than where you usually look or it could be you are bored with your way of working...

Good luck anyway!
Old 22nd August 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Baby steps. Play anything. A hihat on a keyboard even. It will come. I go through this regulary, not writers block as such, but 'innertia' - a stationery body will remain stationary without a greater force acting on it. It's always hard to make myself start but soon after I do I blink and 12 hours has gone by and I'm havin fun. The most important note is the first one you play.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Baby steps. Play anything. A hihat on a keyboard even. It will come. I go through this regulary, not writers block as such, but 'innertia' - a stationery body will remain stationary without a greater force acting on it. It's always hard to make myself start but soon after I do I blink and 12 hours has gone by and I'm havin fun. The most important note is the first one you play.
Yeah baby. That's great.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
You nailed it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search