The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comment on Gear 'Shootouts'........ Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Comment on Gear 'Shootouts'........

Hi All,

I wanted to make a comment on this idea of gear 'shootouts'.
Sometimes when someone does one of these, there are usualy soundfiles involved with the gear/s in question recording the same performance to judge by. Such as a vocal, acoustic guitar, etc,...I find this somewhat inconclusive, even if I do it myself at the studio. This is not about 'one trick pony' or specialty gear but general observations before a purchase or endorsement.

In theory, theres nothing wrong with this approach, but if this 'shootout' pretains to music related pro audio, there is so much more to consider. Ultimately, of course, it comes down to this sounds better than that, but I think the usual way of doing a comparison as mentioned above, is not enough to really hear the characteristics of the gear/s in question.

A singular instrument or voice through different gear recorded at the same time proves minimal. Its the complex harmoncis of instruments, voice, and tone blended together that defines the characteristic of said gear/s. When I 'test drive' gear, I try to record as many different things with the one piece. As the music starts to take shape, I can really hear and feel what the gear/s are really about.

You record a snare through an Api something micpre, then you do the same with a Great River micpre.... So what. Put up a U87, M49, and a U47 on her or his vocals,...Only proves what mic sounds good for that person.

I say, Record a drum kit with 10 of each, if you only have one of each, stack and overdub multiple tracks, then record vocals, then all the background parts with one then the other, you will really hear and feel the difference now. This to me is the only real way to know. Also as you get the feel for the gear/s, you will appopriate its uses as you see fit.

Its hard to tell what something sounds like if there is only one source to compare. We go with what sounds best, but in order for us to use what sounds best besides the standard A vs. B method, we need to hear what it sounds like in a complex harmonics situation. Thanks for the time.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search