The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empirical Labs please holdout
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Empirical Labs please holdout

I really hope Empirical Labs is the last great hope and doesn't sellout and join WAVESfuuck to make the distressor plug in and the fatso plug in. PLEASE don't enable waves to make another single dollar! I really am saddened to see API buying into this crap
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

i think waves should recreate something easier first! perhaps something from behringer heh!

to me they could not even recreate the URS pluggies! heh
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I really hope Empirical Labs is the last great hope and doesn't sellout and join WAVESfuuck to make the distressor plug in and the fatso plug in. PLEASE don't enable waves to make another single dollar! I really am saddened to see API buying into this crap
agreed, this is some more sad news.tutt

Mike Vick. You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
i think waves should recreate something easier first! perhaps something from behringer heh!
haha yes thumbsuphehthumbsup
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Waves plugins-thumbsup
Wave business practices-
I'll never buy anything from them.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm waiting for Waves to release an emulation of the classic L1 limiter...
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

And the dumbest part of the whole thing, the distressor is digital. I love the fact that guys are so bent on making sure their whole studio is analog this, that and everything.

If they are using the same chips, they easily could port it over to HD.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

The distressor is analog.

Some of the parameters may be digitally controlled, but the audio path is analog all the way!

Or am I misunderstanding something?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
And the dumbest part of the whole thing, the distressor is digital. I love the fact that guys are so bent on making sure their whole studio is analog this, that and everything.

If they are using the same chips, they easily could port it over to HD.
Digitally controlled..
Anaolg signal path..

Unlike most analog compressor/limiters the Distressor is a digitally controlled audio device and actually incorporates several products into one by utilizing digital controls to switch totally different circuits in and out.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

No, No.....AAAaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh
Old 18th August 2007
Ok!! I want to understand this:

If Waves can make a Distressor o Fatso Plug in:

a- if sound as good as the hardware!!! great!!!! that's what technology is all about!!!

b-and if does not sound as good....so the owners could feel that their investment was worth it!

I wonder if most of you guys would prefer to be without a DAW...just because they copied the concept of a console and a tape recorder.
..I do not think is wrong...just technology

anyway I think always may be a difference in sound and you could take your own decitions of what ypu prefer to buy....
But if currently Empirical Labs owners feel offended because they bought the real thing at a higher price ...maybe would be a good idea to give a special discount to registered hardware owners(that could apply to other companies too) ...
Empirical Labs is a great company with excelent products and if is true the rumour here..I am sure they may try to achieve a great emulation of their awesome products!!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Ok!! I want to understand this:

If Waves can make a Distressor o Fatso Plug in:

a- if sound as good as the hardware!!! great!!!! that's what technology is all about!!!

b-and if does not sound as good....so the owners could feel that their investment was worth it!
Exactly.

I fail to see how the addition of a product one doesn't care for harms you in in any way. don't buy it! Your hardware Distressor does not stop working the day someone makes a plug-in, regardless of whether that plug-in sounds better, worse or the same.

these are the same people who get upset when upgrades come out.

Unless somebody WANTS a Distressor plug-in, but just not from Waves? Is that why the upset?

If you think about it, the release of inferior products is good for you. Assuming you are the one with a discerning ear who can tell the superior products from the inferior ones, it puts you one step ahead.

Let other people buy the 'wrong' thing! The more the merrier! They are, after all, your competition.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Exactly.

I fail to see how the addition of a product one doesn't care for harms you in in any way. don't buy it! Your hardware Distressor does not stop working the day someone makes a plug-in, regardless of whether that plug-in sounds better, worse or the same.

It just diminishes everyone's hard earned sense of elitism, thats all.

XJ
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Unless somebody WANTS a Distressor plug-in, but just not from Waves? Is that why the upset?
I think that's probably it.

Kinda like in the 90s wanting someone to win the Superbowl, as long as it wasn't the Cowboys.

-dave
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post
I think that's probably it.

Kinda like in the 90s wanting someone to win the Superbowl, as long as it wasn't the Cowboys.

-dave
in most cases with certain companies, i think the above would be more or less correct, but with waves and their "wup" policies i think cats around here just dont want to see waves, the company, have any more revenue streams based on emulations of gear they love.

the whole covert illegal software campaign by waves is acceptable for a company to do, but coupled with absolutely horrid customer service and the wup and the alleged having to re-buy the license if you buy a new computer, has left a very acrid taste in the mouths of waves and potential waves customers alike.

add the latter in with the former and i think it makes sense why the waves haters exist.
Old 19th August 2007
I think the wup is not so bad now.
and I think many people for some reasom make Waves look like evil.....Native instruments have the Komplete Care !!

Anyway....I think Waves is one of the few companies that can do a good emulation....o do you prefer a bad emulation but without the name Waves on it? I rather don't have anything!!
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
I think the wup is not so bad now.
and I think many people for some reasom make Waves look like evil.....Native instruments have the Komplete Care !!

Anyway....I think Waves is one of the few companies that can do a good emulation....o do you prefer a bad emulation but without the name Waves on it? I rather don't have anything!!
Dude waves blows! If you don't get that...you obviously have never owned their software and had to deal with the company. The point of this thread is I hope thoses slimy bastards(WAVES) don't profit any further off of modeling REAL audio companies bitching hardware. END OF STORY
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
in most cases with certain companies, i think the above would be more or less correct, but with waves and their "wup" policies i think cats around here just dont want to see waves, the company, have any more revenue streams based on emulations of gear they love.

the whole covert illegal software campaign by waves is acceptable for a company to do, but coupled with absolutely horrid customer service and the wup and the alleged having to re-buy the license if you buy a new computer, has left a very acrid taste in the mouths of waves and potential waves customers alike.

add the latter in with the former and i think it makes sense why the waves haters exist.
gracias
Old 20th August 2007
There are a lot of cool things happening at Empirical Labs, and none of them involve Waves.

Rest assured, our customers (and our customer service) always come first. ELI will not release any product that does not live up to Dave Derr's high standards. There is a reason why it takes years between product introductions - Dave is meticulous, and fussy, and approaches every product design with great dedication and passion.

You will not be disappointed with his future product releases.

-gil
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
There are a lot of cool things happening at Empirical Labs, and none of them involve Waves.

Rest assured, our customers (and our customer service) always come first. ELI will not release any product that does not live up to Dave Derr's high standards. There is a reason why it takes years between product introductions - Dave is meticulous, and fussy, and approaches every product design with great dedication and passion.

-gil
Well, to be honest with you, I believe this topic is fueled by Waves and their sneaky behavior toward studio owners. It's having a negative impact on the honest studio owners who pay for ever plug they have on their computer. When someone shows up at your studio with a hidden agenda to charge $16,000. or sue you for pirating software, it reminds us business people of the IRS. I don't endorse pirating at all, but right now, it seems that Waves is devoting more time to catching criminals than developing better plug-ins.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

thumbsuphehthumbsup
Quote:

-gil
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Man you seem to spend a lot of time thinking about Waves. I seen your other posts on other threads concerning Waves. Just a suggestion, no offense intended but, maybe you should get out of the studio for a while, this stuff ain't that serious. Time to think about getting a life, this obsession you have is unhealthy. I have three plugin bundles from Waves and they work for me, but if I felt the way you do it would be so easy just to not buy from them. It's not like there are no other options out there, just go and buy something else, end of story. Some guy PM'ed me once, because I use Waves, and tried to convince me that I should dump my plugs, he even went so far as to compare Waves business practices to Apartheid! Being a black guy, I found his comparison very offensive, tho I never told him so. Anyway there are many worthy things that you could start a crusade over, the war in Iraq, genocide in Dar-four, Free Taiwan, lots of worthy causes, lets all hate Waves ain't one of them. IMHO, YMMV. Rant over.

Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
Man you seem to spend a lot of time thinking about Waves. I seen your other posts on other threads concerning Waves. Just a suggestion, no offense intended but, maybe you should get out of the studio for a while, this stuff ain't that serious. Time to think about getting a life, this obsession you have is unhealthy. I have three plugin bundles from Waves and they work for me, but if I felt the way you do it would be so easy just to not buy from them. It's not like there are no other options out there, just go and buy something else, end of story. Some guy PM'ed me once, because I use Waves, and tried to convince me that I should dump my plugs, he even went so far as to compare Waves business practices to Apartheid! Being a black guy, I found his comparison very offensive, tho I never told him so. Anyway there are many worthy things that you could start a crusade over, the war in Iraq, genocide in Dar-four, Free Taiwan, lots of worthy causes, lets all hate Waves ain't one of them. IMHO, YMMV. Rant over.

haha heh

yeah I am taking some time off from the crusade currently thumbsup

I shall speak no more of Waves EVER
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretbored View Post
Well, to be honest with you, I believe this topic is fueled by Waves and their sneaky behavior toward studio owners. It's having a negative impact on the honest studio owners who pay for ever plug they have on their computer. When someone shows up at your studio with a hidden agenda to charge $16,000. or sue you for pirating software, it reminds us business people of the IRS. I don't endorse pirating at all, but right now, it seems that Waves is devoting more time to catching criminals than developing better plug-ins.
If your car was up for sale, but before you could sell it, someone stole it, wouldn't you want it back, or at least be compensated for it? Same exact thing. Good for Waves! I'm a honest studio owner and it has absolutely zero negative impact on me because everything in my studio is paid for, so Waves, Digi, or anyone else is welcome to come have a peak and have a cup of coffee on me, nothing to hide here, everything fully licensed and completely paid for.

Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
haha heh

yeah I am taking some time off from the crusade currently thumbsup

I shall speak no more of Waves EVER
Waves stuff is (generally) excellent as far as plugins currently go. I have URS, heck even endorse them - but Waves does tend to have the edge plug for plug.

They suck at business (although not THAT bad) and they suck that they unfortunately operate under the Israeli governement. But thats another story and is hardly their fault.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
If your car was up for sale, but before you could sell it, someone stole it, wouldn't you want it back, or at least be compensated for it? Same exact thing. Good for Waves! I'm a honest studio owner and it has absolutely zero negative impact on me because everything in my studio is paid for, so Waves, Digi, or anyone else is welcome to come have a peak and have a cup of coffee on me, nothing to hide here, everything fully licensed and completely paid for.

As I stated earlier, I don't endorse piracy. I pay for EVERYTHING. I don't even know how people pirate software. This is just my assessment.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

-gil

what ? EL is coming out with some new stuff ?

so does anyone know what that might be?

i'm definitely getting a distressor when i can afford one. that will probably be my only REAL comp for a long time.

oh..btw, [email protected]#k waves. [email protected]#k wup. a company that suffers from piracy still does not have a right to extort its customers.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_who View Post
i'm definitely getting a distressor when i can afford one. that will probably be my only REAL comp for a long time.
same goes!

but im bloody terriable at saving money
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude waves blows! If you don't get that...you obviously have never owned their software and had to deal with the company. The point of this thread is I hope thoses slimy bastards(WAVES) don't profit any further off of modeling REAL audio companies bitching hardware.
I've owned their software and have had to deal with the company, and every interaction and experience I've had has been fine...and while I don't agree with all of their business practices they have made their WUP policy much more reasonable (and I've had their plugins for years and have never paid any WUP fees, and my plugins still work).

And the REAL companies of which you speak (at least SSL and API...not Neve) who have partnered with Waves do profit from the sale of the plugins as well, and are involved with the creation of the plugins as well to make sure that they meet up to their standards.

As far as Empirical Labs...my Fatso may well be my one single favorite piece of hardware, but if they partnered with Waves (or any other company, for that matter) and put out a good emulation of it I'd be happy to throw it up on multiple tracks. It wouldn't make me love my "real" one any less.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I ran some waves through 6 distressors today, they all came back out sounding GREAT!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search