The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reading and writing about audio is like...
Old 18th August 2007

Reading and writing about audio is like...

Reading and writing about audio is like smelling a picture and expecting to understand how the picture looks.

Think about that for a minute!

Now read it again.
Old 18th August 2007

I'm hoping that in the future, the combination of higher speed Internet, greater storage space, and the interactivity of Web 2.0 will bring these audio forums to the next level.

Somehow, instead of generalizing about work-flow and FX settings, and instead of using very personal word choices of how something sounds: we instantly SEE the FX adjustments being made, and HEAR how they affect the sound.

Somehow combine YouTube with GearSluts, but without text. I could wish for mind reading, but that's kinda ridiculous. So, how do we get more depth between people over these impersonal lines of communication?

Even face to face, there is often a lack of communication depth. Can the next generation forum bridge the gap altogether?

The thing I love about text is the ability to suck in ideas quickly, change reading speed, or even skip sections all together. All as desired to fit my needs. But , no matter what, the downside is lack of true depth of understanding (a picture is worth a THOUSAND words!), and not really getting in the mind of the poster. Somehow, the audio-visual postings have to be able to be BROWSED in a similar way that text can be browsed.

So, how can this work? What are the upsides? The downsides? Will it be better or worse or altogether different than I suggest? Lets talk about this...
Old 19th August 2007

Didn't I moan enough about text being extremely vague in describing sound?

How many of you have read something in a forum or in a book to be totally taken in by the author, thinking them a god, then to hear the authors' actual engineered sounds on CD not at all as described by their text -- to find they really suck?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Dancing about architecter...
Old 19th August 2007
YEAH

more samples with everything, to go

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search