The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Argh! Another Lacie drive bites the dust!!
Old 16th August 2007
Argh! Another Lacie drive bites the dust!!

My Lacie drive **** the bed a couple days ago, which isn't surprising as their d2 Extreme Triple Interface drives have a disturbing tendency to do so. But the amazing thing is this:

IT HAPPENED EXACTLY ONE YEAR TO THE DAY THAT MY LAST D2 EXTREME TRIPLE INTERFACE DRIVE FAILED!! WHAT ARE THE ODDS!?!??

Are they pre-programmed to die every August 13th? Weird...

At least this one's still under warranty.

Ugh. Luckily, I'm a responsible backer-upper...
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yours too?
I bought a Lacie external Usb drive and less than a year after, the case started to make some weird noize, and i couldn't access it from my pc anymore!!! Those Drives are Crap! Crap! Crap! Death to Lacie!!!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Good that you back your stuff up.. thumbsup

Usually when these external drives die, it's the enclosure, not the drive. Pop it out & mount it, there's a good chance it'll work.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Same thing happened to me a couple of days back. d2 triple extreme - bwoof - dead. Though I did get 2 years out of the thing.

Anyone help me with this? It's an ATA/133 HDD drive (despite being in a USB / FW 400/800 casing) and I'd like to try getting it running again, but I'm a complete computer dunce. I'm running an all SATA rig at the mo - what kind of enclosure should I ask for at the computer store to get it compatible with my USB/FW Mac?

Thanks! heh
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
Good that you back your stuff up.. thumbsup

Usually when these external drives die, it's the enclosure, not the drive. Pop it out & mount it, there's a good chance it'll work.
99% of the time it is just the case. Usually there are Seagates inside.

Take the drive out. Order this; http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Alumi...7301044&sr=8-2 . Problem solved.

How do you back up? I've been using Retrospect and AIT for a minute. Works great. Backs ups up fast after every session, easy and organized restoration to.
Old 17th August 2007
No dice...already tried another enclosure, plus putting the drive into a G4. I also was able to get an old backup drive to work inside the enclosure, so...dead drive.

And when it happened last year, the circuit board on the drive itself was SEVERELY melted. Yikes!
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Here's a handy device for times like this:

NewerTech® USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter

I bought one a couple of months ago and it is invaluable with all the tech work I do...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Lacie + Maxtor = CRAP fuuck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search