The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daft Punk quit
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
After RAM the DP narrative was kind of over imo. Where to go from there?

We did get 4 LP's and a OST. That's not bad. Quality vs quantity too.

I'm going to assume creative differences, that can happen after a 28-year career.

Or maybe they were in a creative rut and wanted to end on a high note.

For those wondering, both have been involved in side projects and solo releases throughout the years.

I don't see that stopping. Quite the contrary hopefully.

This was Thomas's latest release for Climax OST in 2018:

He made this track in the 90s apparently.
It was just used for the film, but not a new/fresh creation.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
RAM is their final album. It was their dream unlimited budget 'Thriller' album. Very hard to follow-up such an achievement no matter if you think it was the wrong commercial direction. As stated they were confirmed to score the next Dario Argento horror film (that obviously got pushed back by COVID) and that's rather sad news if that is being binned as I would have loved to hear their darker side. Maybe Thomas will do it on his own though..

@ Vinw : AFAIK Sangria is unreleased and composed (or re-arranged) for the film AFAIK. The other track that appears in the movie "What To Do" was released on Roulé in '95:

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The YouTube clip is now on 808K likes
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
1. No one died, thread title should be changed.
2. Some of the most annoying repetitive use of samples i ever heard (was forced to watch their anime), quite happy there will be no more of this trash.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar ➡️
huh I think Random Access Memories is good, is that not en vogue?
Nah, that's passé...electro farts on a $200k monophonic modular a la Richard Devine is where it's at.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
1. No one died, thread title should be changed.
2. Some of the most annoying repetitive use of samples i ever heard (was forced to watch their anime), quite happy there will be no more of this trash.
I agree with the first point but totally disagree with the second. Each to their own. We all have different tastes. I personally can’t stand a single Beatles or Elvis song. They all sound like background music in a car salon.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It’s kind of funny some people still haven’t got over Discovery, a concept (anime) album released 20 years ago. Then to zoomers, they are the act that collaborated with Pharrell, The Weeknd etc. Maybe it’s a good thing they bury the DP moniker / robot act, and the stigmas associated with them. Perhaps they’ll come back as just Thomas & Guy-Man?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
was forced to watch their anime
Good. Cuz it's the jam.

Daft Punk, you had a good run. I tip my hat.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I didn't really expect them to release any more material anyway...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
"Dafunct"
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm glad C3PO finally got lucky
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Worst and most overrated awful crap in history IMO. Good riddance, and long live Giorgio Moroder !
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I love that they turned repetitive loops into something compelling (their older work) they had a real nack for that.

Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You is a banger for the ages.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blue Man Group created Blue Schools that are basically factories that crank out Blue Man clones. Daft Punk should had done the same thing to proliferate and preserve the Daft Punk experience imo.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️
I love that they turned repetitive loops into something compelling (their older work) they had a real nack for that.

stardust was a daftpunk side thing ?

Edit
Thomas Bangalter was part of stardust
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Love Daft Punk. Hope this is a new beginning rather than end.

Damn youall, surprising how many hipsters here too cool for school to enjoy Daft Punk. Too bad, Daft Punk, like funk music, is almost universally enjoyable. Like the majority of listeners, when Daft Punk comes on I get a little pumped up, excited and want to dance.

Sounds good + feels good = is good.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Staggered by the overwhelming amount of love in this thread.

It's as if all this hatred is directed at me because Daft Punk is among the bands which I understand at the deepest level sharing the same influences both musical and visual. They are like older cooler brothers which I never had who got into everything I love sooner than I could.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 ➡️
Blue Man Group created Blue Schools that are basically factories that crank out Blue Man clones. Daft Punk should had done the same thing to proliferate and preserve the Daft Punk experience imo.
But they did do that, you just never knew
Here for the gear

Do the robot rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla ➡️
surprising how many hipsters here too cool for school to enjoy Daft Punk.
They can play the wall while we pop it on the dance floor
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I loved RAM because it came out at a time when everything on the radio or that was popular was super digital harsh or just in your face (ie bro step, and the beginnings of Trap taking over pretty much every thing in-terms of popular sound). Daft Punk released RAM as an ode to dance music of yore, with real instruments, warm tones, catchy melodies and rhythm. A complete anti-thesis of the sound of that time. I remember a lot of folks were mad because it wasn't "dance-y" enough for the EDM crowd, and to me it was taking dance music back to its essence. So RAM was it for me, it was perfect in every way imo. One of the few albums where I was into it from every aspect (video, presentation) and songs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I expected to see some hate on this thread but not as much.

I have so many fond memories of dancing to their songs in parties in my 20's, they are a very good part of the soundtrack of my life. Sad to see them split.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don’t know whether there’s any deeper message in the video - possibly not - but it did play out like one wanted to keep going, while the other one was tired and wanted to pack it all in.

I also have a vague memory of reading a short interview with Daft Punk somewhere recently and, during the course of it, there was something that suggested they were possibly going to be hanging it up soon. I may be mis-remembering though.

In any case, I wouldn’t say I’m any kind of huge fan, but I’m still kind of sad to see them go. Has a bit of an end-of-an-era feel to it.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy ➡️
Even when this was new--before I was into synthesis--I figured this was a totally lazy and pointless remix. Now that I understand synthesis, I realize it's actually a totally lazy and pointless MS-20 filter sweep.

Don't kid yourself, these guys were never geniuses. Maybe 20-years-ago me expected too much from them? I still listen to their stuff, but more in the way I'd go back and watch an old blockbuster popcorn movie from the 90's. Still catchy, good stuff that did a lot to define an era for a lot of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️
...but also this, undeniably.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree ➡️
Even when this was new--before I was into synthesis--I figured this was a totally lazy and pointless remix. Now that I understand synthesis, I realize it's actually a totally lazy and pointless MS-20 filter sweep.

Don't kid yourself, these guys were never geniuses.
Incorrect. I think you need to double check all your opinion math.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Im not a biggest fan of Daft Punk duo but few records have their place in my permanent best of the best playlist. Sad news.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
RAM is their final album. It was their dream unlimited budget 'Thriller' album.
Come on, that's just too much.

Thriller was a brilliant album featuring a dream cast of up and coming & talented musicians + a seriously good & experienced production & song-writing team.

How is dreck like RAM, which boils down to a slick muzak like production of lame & cheesy loops + sound fx + a somewhat lame cast (Pharrel, really, what's his special talent?? ) comparable in any way to a masterpiece like Thriller?

Moroder & Nile Rogers are true legends but they clearly didn't build their reputations on this joke of an album.

The real tragedy here is that DP didn't disband decades ago.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Twas a great run, and a fairly long one.

Best of luck to each of them now.

Thanks for all the music/art/vibe.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak ➡️
How is dreck like RAM, which boils down to a slick muzak like production of lame & cheesy loops + sound fx + a somewhat lame cast (Pharrel, really, what's his special talent?? ) comparable in any way to a masterpiece like Thriller?

Moroder & Nile Rogers are true legends but they clearly didn't build their reputations on this joke of an album.
“Muzak” lol..

Daft Punk spent four years and over a million dollars on their quest to revisit the golden age of record production. Mick Guzauski and Peter Franco were with them all the way.
Old 3 days ago
Daft Punk - the soundtrack of every birthday party / wedding / bar mitzvah in the past 20 years. I'd say that's pretty influential.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…