The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ripped off hard: share your pain with me, brothers and sisters
Old 1 week ago
Ripped off hard: share your pain with me, brothers and sisters

My Soundcraft 200B arrived, Shady McShaderson, and my moment of weakness was my undoing.

Was shipped in a box too large with no padding, that was the first clue...

Paid too much, got too little, no power supply, missing more knobs than the picture showed. Seems to have 4 out of the 16 as the "B" channels, the 16th channel is loose in the chassis... afraid to open it up.

I'm even more afraid now to shell out ~350 for a PSU and have this thing not even power up.

Bought it outside of Reverb too. Idiot.

Basically I should've just walked down the street naked with a kick me sign on my back and my wallet in my mouth.

Idiot, again.

Share your rip-offs, make me feel better. I may never buy gear again after this... well that's not true, but I'm out $550 USD right now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

A friend of mine was disappointed after purchasing a vintage console. But he bit the bullet and had it professionally refurbished.

Now it sounds great and he's lovin' it. The end result is that he spent more than he wanted to, but he says "you remember the quality long after you forget the price."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Basically I should've just walked down the street naked with a kick me sign on my back and my wallet in my mouth.
That made me laugh so much.

But I feel your pain man, I once was shipped freaking brick instead of a DBX 160.

I had to punch the wall and yell at my girlfriend, her unsuspecting ass made her lose her sh*t so she made me clean the house.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm not so sure you were ripped off as you were an uninformed buyer. The 200B is a 35 year old console.

Any time you buy electronics with that sort of age, expect that you will need to do a major replacement of internal components. It's not just about failures, it is also a matter of inconsistencies between channels etc.

For instance, I expect capacitors to last 20 years BEST case. There might be a few exceptions to that but 35 years is way past the point of pushing your luck.

IMHO the 200B is the not the sort of console that is worth the investment to do a full overhaul and re-cap on. That's the sort of thing best reserved for classic high end consoles.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
I'm not so sure you were ripped off as you were an uninformed buyer. The 200B is a 35 year old console.

Any time you buy electronics with that sort of age, expect that you will need to do a major replacement of internal components. It's not just about failures, it is also a matter of inconsistencies between channels etc.

For instance, I expect capacitors to last 20 years BEST case. There might be a few exceptions to that but 35 years is way past the point of pushing your luck.

IMHO the 200B is the not the sort of console that is worth the investment to do a full overhaul and re-cap on. That's the sort of thing best reserved for classic high end consoles.
Cool. I now feel worse. Nice work.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Maybe, but so many times you ask someone, "Does it work, does it work perfectly, does it have any issues?" Seller, "no way man, it is perfect everything is good on it"

After you purchase it, seller upon hearing your complaints, "Well HEck, you knew it was 30 years old. You didn't expect it to be or work like new did you?" Me, "I expected it to work like you said, which yes you said was perfect".
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. I now feel worse. Nice work.
Sorry, the intent was not to pile on. But the point is, I think you should just chock this up as a loss and move on. You can probably resell it at a loss to recoup some of the cost.

Buying gear that old necessitates an investment/effort, regardless of the seemingly deceptive seller..... and unless you have a tech nearby that you are willing to pay handsomely, is best left to those with the electrical engineering skills to do their own maintenance on the gear.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Sorry, the intent was not to pile on. But the point is, I think you should just chock this up as a loss and move on. You can probably resell it at a loss to recoup some of the cost.

Buying gear that old necessitates an investment/effort, regardless of the seemingly deceptive seller..... and unless you have a tech nearby that you are willing to pay handsomely, is best left to those with the electrical engineering skills to do their own maintenance on the gear.
You just can't control yourself, can you?
Old 4 days ago
I’ll trade you, any day. I actually paid full price for waves mercury before they started giving away plugins for nothing. 550? HA!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You just can't control yourself, can you?
What's with the attitude? It might not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.

I had a 48ch console stolen if your intent was just to hear others stories of pain.
Quote:
What's with the attitude? It might not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.
Well the title is, "share your pain" about getting ripped off, not "help I bought something old and I can't believe it needs work!".

Quote:
I had a 48ch console stolen if your intent was just to hear others stories of pain.
Now we're talking...
Gear Guru

Quote:
Where's the lack of due diligence in that? It's only half bad if you're not also pissed at yourself. :-)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Bought a Behringer mixer about 21 years ago off eBay.

Item was described as excellent condition, smoke free home.

The red flag which I ignored was it had just one slightly blurry product photo.

It was far from excellent condition. Power supply was in pretty bad shape and it definitely reeked of tobacco products. Then to top it off, the serial number was scratched out.
Old 22 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Bought a Behringer mixer about 21 years ago off eBay.

Item was described as excellent condition, smoke free home.

The red flag which I ignored was it had just one slightly blurry product photo.

It was far from excellent condition. Power supply was in pretty bad shape and it definitely reeked of tobacco products. Then to top it off, the serial number was scratched out.
Sounds like it was stolen in excellent condition, from a smoke free home. What happened after that....

But it sucks, it's a waste of time, money and trust in fellow humans.
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Bought a Behringer mixer
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillie View Post
Sounds like it was stolen in excellent condition, from a smoke free home. What happened after that....

But it sucks, it's a waste of time, money and trust in fellow humans.
Ironically, it was well packaged with plenty of bubble wrap and peanuts when shipped. And for the most part, it worked well.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear