The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Truth is like every other major industry. The labels have a monopoly.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBOYO View Post
R&B and hip hop mostly.

Posted this in a forum couple of months ago and I deleted it because I personally like to play the internet game. I don't want to really want to be known especially when we discuss issues like this that can ultimately effect biz and your rep. Especially in this day in age.

Vocals were recorded through a Neumann U87 (at someone's house)
Guitar was run through a Traynor Tube Amp with mild gain, recorded through an SM57 into a Steinberg ur44 directly into the Ableton session.
Yeah this is really very good. Definitely some harmony tricks can be used to carry it through stronger, but your talent as a singer is clear. My dude. Just keep pushing. You can't change the world, you can only change what's in your reach. But you already have a leg up on most. I think you should be posting more of your music everywhere and keep making music and trying to always make it better. Network and create, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am speaking as a American, musician, a black man, and person who still can't taste my food or smell anything because of a virus that people don't even want to take precautions for.
I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully everything will be alright and you don't suffer from any longterm effects because of the virus.

Although it's not the genre I usually listen to, I really liked your demo. Your voice has a pleasant tone to it, like others said find somebody to mentor you. Don't worry too much about the other stuff at this point. For now, focus on how you can grow as an artist.
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
R&B and hip hop mostly.

Posted this in a forum couple of months ago and I deleted it because I personally like to play the internet game. I don't want to really want to be known especially when we discuss issues like this that can ultimately effect biz and your rep. Especially in this day in age.

Vocals were recorded through a Neumann U87 (at someone's house)
Guitar was run through a Traynor Tube Amp with mild gain, recorded through an SM57 into a Steinberg ur44 directly into the Ableton session.
Not really what I usually listen to but I think you sound good. I'm sure you could grow a fan base with that kind of stuff and your vocals.

The problem is, if you don't want to play the internet game in 2020, you have almost no hope. It's not really the labels fault, it's just how people consume music these days (and not only music). There are "successful" independent musicians. There are also musicians who get noticed and signed every single day. But they almost all have a strong online presence. If you don't play the game, you start we a huge penalty compared to all the competition. Or you can work for other, already signed, artists. That's up to you.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I will call it a demo - it is good enough and shows enough skill and talent that 'OBOYO's time would be better spent finding a professional mentor than 'playing the internet game'.
I bet a ton of RnB and Hip-Hop acts are developed by producers and then signed to a label through them. The eventual label can play the internet game for him.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I will call it a demo - it is good enough and shows enough skill and talent that 'OBOYO's time would be better spent finding a professional mentor than 'playing the internet game'.
I bet a ton of RnB and Hip-Hop acts are developed by producers and then signed to a label through them. The eventual label can play the internet game for him.
I appreciate all of you all's kinds words and recommendations. I'll just keep grinding and pitching to A&R's. Hopefully someone bites. If any of you all produce or mix a sound similar to what I do and want to collaborate I would be down just shoot me a private message.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Look up producers who make similar music to you and try contacting them.
A&R is a tough route to go down.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Try @ OBOYO to work with @ BitDepth as he is in Dallas and same age as you.
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
I bet a ton of RnB and Hiphop acts are discovered through Youtube / Insta / TikTok. And then eventually signed. Sure you can probably find a producer that will love to get paid to produce you. And it may help taking your music quality to the next level. Now, finding someone doing it for free, expecting to get you signed to a label and eventually make some money on the master royalties ? Of course you can also buy a lottery ticket.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9173ceb View Post
Now, finding someone doing it for free, expecting to get you signed to a label and eventually make some money on the master royalties ? Of course you can also buy a lottery ticket.
It happens all the time. What the producer gets out of it is the opportunity to produce the records when they are signed, plus the kudos of being a top talent scout in the industry.
Of course, the producer has to see a quick route to income and success, so they will only work for free on a very, very good sounding project and that work will be limited.
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
It happens all the time. What the producer gets out of it is the opportunity to produce the records when they are signed, plus the kudos of being a top talent scout in the industry.
Of course, the producer has to see a quick route to income and success, so they will only work for free on a very, very good sounding project and that work will be limited.
I don't do much hiphop myself but it's clearly not the vibe I get from producers around me who are into it. Those who do have major level connections would rather spend their time working with signed acts so they have a guaranteed ROI. Those who accept to work for points only won't do it unless you already have a track record as an independent artist. In fact, I just had a conversation the other day with a producer telling me that if you don't have at least 1M streams on Spotify he wouldn't consider points. So sure, if you are Michael Jackson level of talent and you can find your Quincy Jones that's fine. But again, you could also buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But again, you could also buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best.
So you keep saying.....
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What @ Ran_ks producer was it who said they wouldn't consider points?
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
So you keep saying.....
Yes, because if the plan is to hide and hope for a producer to take you under his wing, work for free and pitch you to a major label, the odds a clearly against you. Not impossible, but clearly NOT a career plan.

I don't know, maybe we work in totally different niches but I don't know many producers or labels that would "invest" in an artist that has zero social medias presence and no Spotify stream. You have tons of rappers, r&b singers and DJ all over Youtube and TikTok that can show they invest time (and money) in releasing music, getting new fans and actually performing. You can see how people react. Why, as a producer or label, would I invest in an artist that has nothing to show ? This is not 1970 anymore. A few days ago, I was reading about AI based A&R. Yes that is, AI scanning the net to find artists that could fit into a certain label catalog. That's where we're heading to.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 3rd December 2020 at 02:56 AM..
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
What @ Ran_ks producer was it?
What do you mean ?
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AI @ Ran_ks based A&R sounds nonsensical given how human A&R's have made and do make mistakes alongside successes but AI in anything sounds depressing.
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
AI @ Ran_ks based A&R sounds nonsensical given how human A&R's have made and do make mistakes alongside successes but AI in anything sounds depressing.
Sounds depressing, maybe, but it is coming. The point is that you can't really plan to "make it" if you don't have any online presence (at least in those genres we are talking about).
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran_ks View Post
Yes, because if the plan is to hide and hope for a producer to take you under his wing, work for free and pitch you to a major label, the odds a clearly against you. Not impossible, but clearly NOT a career plan.
I think my point was a little more nuanced.

I never suggested someone 'hide', or abandon social media completely. I was advising the OP on what I thought was 'time well spent'.
There are literally a million new artists pummelling Youtube, Tik Tok, Facebook and Instagram every day. From what I've seen, using that as your main strategy to success is as much a crap shoot as anything else.
My attitude is to do everything you can - which includes seeking out like minded people. Maybe people a little further up the ladder than yourself.
In the end, just about everyone needs a hand up, a stroke of luck, a mentor.
My attitude is also - you don't ask, you don't get.
I would never give up on something just because I'm told 'you might as well buy a lottery ticket'.

I'm a completely different age and demographic, but I am exploiting social media AND engaging with mentors to further my music releases.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why, as a producer or label, would I invest in an artist that has nothing to show ?
As above ^^
Your replies are rather black & white.
I never suggested hiding or ignoring one aspect of career building. Actually the opposite. You are abandoning seeking mentors and concentrating solely on social media. I'm saying do both, but realise social media is an ocean of competition it is almost impossible to effectively rise above.
Deleted 9173ceb
Quote:
As above ^^
Your replies are rather black & white.
I never suggested hiding or ignoring one aspect of career building. Actually the opposite. You are abandoning seeking mentors and concentrating solely on social media. I'm saying do both, but realise social media is an ocean of competition it is almost impossible to effectively rise above.
Sorry, no of course, I didn't mean he should only rely on social medias. Getting help every time it's possible and getting advice from people with experience is of course really important. If you can find someone who want to invest in you, that's awesome. It was more a reaction about "not playing the internet game". That's just not possible right now, mentor or not.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear