The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre-mixers and the Clients Who Let It Happen
Old 17th September 2020
Pre-mixers and the Clients Who Let It Happen

It's crept up over the last couple years. The client who outsources everything and then passes it along for me to mix. Drums premixed. Strings premixed. Horns premixed.

I mean, what the fvcking fvck?

Balances only sorta work, different verbs on everything... gah! And the client whines that the vendors have amazing credits and gave him a killer deal and it'll cost extra to split out the tracks and the earliest he thinks he can get around to it is Tuesday and... moan moan moan.

BGV's are a different story. If someone's gonna tighten and tune and mix 40 tracks of the same two highly average singers so I don't have to, hey, go for it.

Better now, thanks.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Better now, thanks.

Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It's crept up over the last couple years. The client who outsources everything and then passes it along for me to mix. Drums premixed. Strings premixed. Horns premixed.

I mean, what the fvcking fvck?

Balances only sorta work, different verbs on everything... gah! And the client whines that the vendors have amazing credits and gave him a killer deal and it'll cost extra to split out the tracks and the earliest he thinks he can get around to it is Tuesday and... moan moan moan.

BGV's are a different story. If someone's gonna tighten and tune and mix 40 tracks of the same two highly average singers so I don't have to, hey, go for it.

Better now, thanks.
Lately people are sending me tracks that have already been "pre-mastered" and want me to "master them". One client send a track that was already +3 dB over FS and wanted me to "make it louder" another had so much added bass that I had to keep my monitor level low otherwise my speakers would have been knocked over by the bass. If you want me to master your songs - GREAT but don't do it yourself and then send me a badly done "pre-mastered" song and expect me to do anything with it.

I feel your pain...
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

I have a new term, and a solution for you guys.

The new term is "ingestables."

Kinda like "deliverables"... you know, the explicitly defined file formats and specifications that you agree to provide in your contract?

Ingestibles are the formats and specifications of the files they agree to supply to you, before you are required to begin working on earning the second half of the agreed upon fee.

You already earned the advance 50% deposit, now the ball is in their court.

"Hey, no problem man, just get those files to me whenever you can, oh, hey, look... the Tahitian resort's daily volleyball match is starting soon, I gotta run, lemme know when my files are ready... later!"

;-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m getting a lot of vocals sent to me with reverb and other effects baked in lately.

Please stop it.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear