The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Don't buy DELL laptops!
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Addict
Don't buy DELL laptops!

As I am having to work from home I thought I would shell out on a top of the range DELL so I had something fast and reliable.

What a mistake. BSOD for 5 different reasons in the first week, then does DELL hardware error (no SSD detected). Also latency is so high I cant even stream video/audio reliably which is the primarily reason I bought a high end multimedia laptop.

Dell support has been extremely pure, like talking to a 'BOT', just sending me lists of driver to install and even asking me to install 3rd party monitoring software and soak check it and report to them...I did this for about a week spending hours of my time installing and uninstalling drivers as requested ..still BSOD every day, I asked them to swap the laptop and they said they cant now as it has gone over 14 days (whilst I was trying to fix it remotely for them!).

So now I have to wait for them to change both the motherboard and SSD (on a brand-new new laptop!) and them I will have to spend many days setting up again and reinstalling all my software and re-licencing to 'hope' its fixed (no guarantees).

And this is 'Premium Cover' on a new £1800 laptop...I have lost about a weeks productivity out of the 3 weeks I have had the laptop and it still has to be fixed.

20 years of PC use, first and last DELL.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Sorry to hear that, that’s always the worst.

Dell laptop model are hit or miss. I’ve had Dell laptops that rates top 3 of all time. But I’ve also seen and used models that are nothing but trouble. I haven’t heard too many good things about their top end. XPS used to be better when the brand first started.

Dell doesn’t usually manufacture their own parts (motherboards and such), which can lead to bugginess if the model design was rushed out. Dell simply slaps all the parts together.

If you really want a high performance laptop thats worth the money, long lasting, and not buggy get an ASUS. ASUS are the best laptops I’ve used for home use.

ASUS makes their own motherboards and has decades of experience in motherboards. I would go ASUS and not look back.
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux View Post
Sorry to hear that, that’s always the worst.

ASUS makes their own motherboards and has decades of experience in motherboards. I would go ASUS and not look back.

Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

That's to bad.

My daughter bought a Dell for college. After 4 years of college abuse and graduation, we bought her the top of the line HP multimedia with the military grade case as she commutes everywhere by bicycle (she loves the HP.) Her Dell was pretty beat up - cracked case, wiggy screen, blue screens all day long. I sent it in for a warranty repair with about a week left. Dell completely refurbished and had it back in 3 days. New case, new screen, fresh install. I was sort of amazed. Now it's her sisters for HS.
Old 8th August 2020
My brother had a brand new Dell laptop that didn’t even last a full week before getting bricked.💻
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Dell Precision 5750, anyone?

I would like to buy a new laptop for music – including big sample libraries so memory (I'd prefer 64GB) and brute CPU strength are a must. I have a MBP from late 2011 – it's time.

I'd like to stay with a laptop though, since portability is important to me...

I was looking seriously at a Dell Precision 5750, but from what I've read here, it would be best to steer clear. Or are there sufficient workarounds to make things work right?

The thing is, I am a long-time Mac User, but right now is just NOT a great time (arguably) to buy a MacBook Pro 16 - they only use up to Intel's 9th gen i9 chips, and I don't want to spend big on something which is essentially already out of date. 10th gen would suit me fine, especially since I also need to run some Windows software and so will need to use Parallels or similar (apparently not possible on the new Mac Silicon machines, whenever they arrive.)

So for these reasons I was thinking of straying into PC land...

But is it true I'll need to do some extensive uninstallation/hacking just to eliminate basic latency issues inherent in the Dell system?

Is it also true that if I get an Asus that I won't have to worry about latency – is the DPC latency problem unique to Dell? (Unfortunately Asus don't seem to offer a laptop with 64GB of RAM, although I could be mistaken.)

Dell Precision 5750 17in offers some advantages - bigger screen, ability to have two SSD's inside the case, arguably better cooling with a vapour chamber, higher wattage usage profile for the CPU, things like that. I would be prepared to get my head fully around Windows if Dell Precision 5750 is a competent machine, but if the Precision 5750 would come with latency issues and driver nightmares out of the box, then I'd prefer to just sit and wait... hopefully a 10th gen i9 MacBook Pro 16in may be released in Oct or Nov this year, or some say so anyway.

I would be very grateful for further backing-up opinions on the idea of purchasing a Dell Precision 5750 as a music composition workstation, versus getting the current MBP, versus waiting for the hopefully-still-to-come 10th gen MBP.

Many thanks for your wisdom!
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Himbouk, the precision laptops from my experience are tough and durable and well performing for the price. HOWEVER I have used a Precision model that had audio issues and drop outs on certain audio cards.

I wouldn’t risk it on a Dell if you are Looking to do audio stuff. But again, thats just my opinion.

ASUS is great in my opinion. I haven’t run into any weird audio issues. Latency and performance was good on both ASUS laptops I owned.

MSI also makes solid high end laptops from what I’ve been told. But I have no experience with them. Their “stealth” line are built for gaming but they are some sexy powerful computers. Generally gaming laptops have all the specs you want for audio work. MSI is also a motherboard manufacturer like ASUS.

If you do decide to start looking at ASUS models, its best to go with a higher end model. Dont get one thats all plastic. You want one with a mostly metal chassis.

At least 16GB of RAM, and a 1TB SSD. You will probably] get better performance and therefore latency, because ASUS makes their own motherboards.

As far as your question about tweaking things on a PC:

Mac will have less setup and tweakability. But the price to performance you get isn’t worth it to me. They also tend to overheat and throttle these days.

Honestly though, you really don’t have to tweak anything on a PC at all besides your sound card buffer settings. You can do system performance tweaks to squeeze out some CPU cycles and an extra meg or two of RAM.

I think all those PC latency myths came about either in the old days (when it was an issue) or from super buggy laptop models.

But yeah, I would say ASUS or MSI. And get one thats somewhat higher end, metal (generally aluminum) chassis.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut

Hi,

Asus, Dell HP & whatnot almost all use the same components (Intel's processors for example). They also have the same os (Window). So I'd rather worry about the technical specs (ram, processor's cores, ssd, etc.) rather than the brand.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi HerbDelux, thanks very much for your informative reply. I certainly can use it.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedeal0 View Post
Hi,

Asus, Dell HP & whatnot almost all use the same components (Intel's processors for example). They also have the same os (Window). So I'd rather worry about the technical specs (ram, processor's cores, ssd, etc.) rather than the brand.
That is not true.

In terms of base components like a cpu, sure they may all use intel CPUs. Theres only two major home computer CPU companies anyways, so thats not saying much.

But Dell uses COMPLETELY different mother boards, wifi cards, port hardware, chipsets, etc etc etc etc.

There are SO many more imporant aspects to a computer than just your CPU.

Dell generally does not make their own motherboards, and occasionally makes their own peripheral devices such as wifi cards, andbluetooth chips. For the most part though, they buy all their products from vendors and third party companies, and Dell simply slaps it all together in a package.

This can lead to huge issues, because now Dell is relying on code they
1. Did not write
2. Do not support

If they buy a third party motherboard for use in a specific model laptop, and the motherboard vendor has chipset or firmware bugs... guess what? The laptop becomes unusable and can be buggy and slow.

You know the blue screen of death? 99% of the time cause by bad drivers, bad firmware, or poor motherboard design.

ASUS and MSI on the other hand have been motherboard designers and manufacturers for two decades. They build and design their own motherboards (as well as some other peripheral equipment.)

They wrote the code. They support the code.

It's properly optimized to work better with the components that go inside, such as an Intel CPU.

Also in my personal experience, the metal chassis/high end models tend to last FOREVER.
Whereas Dell is hit or miss.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict
So DELL came and changed my motherboard and SSD, left me with about 6 hours upgrading from Windows version 18XX but I haven't had a crash today...I hope that's the end of it. I ran latency monitor directly after the clean install before I put any software on- hit 2500us after about 10 minutes which is a little annoying as DELL had publicly stated that did not have latency problems with the new laptops...which is what I bought!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-c....423048.0.html
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear