The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
archaic plugin company practices
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Head

archaic plugin company practices

Please allow me to vent a little here about a few software companies that are still living in the dinosaur ages of software activation...

I have always had a studio desktop as my only music computer for close to 20 years. I just recently also got a new MacBook Pro laptop. Now I have 2 machines for recording and studio work.

I have spent the past week installing all of my plugins onto my new laptop. Out of all the plugin manufacturers I use (quite a few), I am stunned in a bad way with the following three for their antiquated thinking and customer support:

1) Empirical Labs Arouser. I love this plugin. I want to use it on my laptop, as well. However, if I want to do so, I have to use a stupid iLock dongle AND a ridiculous adaptor to even get a USB port into my new MacBook Pro. Sorry, that is not going to happen. What I do not understand, is why they will not just introduce the ability like many other plugin manufacturers that use iLock to be able to still use iLock, but allow me 2 activations that are set in my computer (no dongle required)? When asked about this, they said it may or may not happen in the future... Seriously. pretty lame in 2020. There are other plugins that are also good and I will most likely just concentrate on those as a result. Sad.

2) Altiverb: exactly the same scenario as above. And, as there are so many great reverbs out there now, I will also move away from them. This sucks, as I have spent a lot of money on them for quite a few years. But, I am really put off by not allowing me to use the software on my two machine without a stupid dongle. And again, you are a very smart software company, I think you could find a way to use the computer based verification/activation system that is included in the main software you already use to protect your software. Many other companies have found a way to do this as an option... You just do not want to, simply.

3) Waves: I have them on my studio machine and the Waves Sync/updater thingy works just fine for me so I am happy there. However, while they can now graciously give me a second authorisation for my laptop, it will expire when the Update Plan does at the end of the year, as well! Really? Basically an extortion tactic to keep me paying for their update plan. this leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I am not happy as a result. Therefore, I have not loaded any Waves plugins onto the new laptop. This sucks, because there are a few truly useful tools they have that I have spent money on and theoretically own, but not really it seems when it comes to putting them on my laptop in a truly clean and free way for the future.

I explained this to them over the phone and they seemed surprised... I also told then when I buy something, I expect to own it. Call me old-fashioned...

My praise goes out to Celemony, DMG, Oeksound, PSP, Sound Radix, Reverb Foundry, Exponential Audio, Sound Toys, Sound Theory, Eventide, U-He, Kazrog, MOTU, Ableton, Fab Filter, Mastering The Mix, Plugin Alliance, Sonar Works, Sound Theory, Twisted Wave, Valhalla, Apogee, Song Surgeon... All of whom have found a way for meta be able to use my software on my two machines with no hassle or time limits!

I don't care if they have used their own system for authorisation or iLock (in a computer-based activation). They give me 2-3 activations and the ability to put them on 2 machines. This is the way it should be in 2020. Reward those who help us, and put pressure on those to join the modern times ASAP, please!

Again, I am only complaining about the top three software manufacturers because I am frustrated by their antiquated approach to activations and licensing.

I hope everyone is well!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear