The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GIK DIY Frames for Acoustic Bass Traps...
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Addict

GIK DIY Frames for Acoustic Bass Traps...

I ordered these. Put them together. The wood split in multiple places because pilot holes were not pre-drilled. I had to guess on the bit size since there weren't any directions or suggestions. A couple of corner support pieces were missing. It wasn't that big of a deal but I had to come up with a solution of my own. I also had to reinforce the frames to be sure they were durable enough to hang.

I called a couple of times and sent more than one email to let them know of my disappointment and concerns. NO RESPONSE! This was more than a month and a half ago. They are finished now, but the assembly process wasn't as efficient as it could have been if GIK had taken more care in pre-drilling the pilot holes. Also, I don't think the wood would have split. Missing parts? It took more than a month for them to be manufactured. No way was I waiting to have missing items sent. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I definitely expected better from them.

I know there are issues with delays due to COVID and that's fine, but over a month and a half to get a response to an email about my concerns and a remedy?

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I definitely don't intend to order anything else of theirs and there were a couple of additional products I am interested in.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

To be fair the instructions on the website say "Step 1: Assemble the frame using the screws provided. We recommend drilling pilot holes to keep top piece of frame from splitting. (Screwdriver or drill required)" so it shouldn't have been a surprise the pilot holes aren't drilled, as useful as that would have been.

The unresponsiveness is a drag though :(
Old 31st July 2020
From their site https://www.gikacoustics.com/important-update-covid-19/

Important update: We have been receiving some queries with regards to our current production schedule in relation to Covid-19. Currently, it is possible your order may take over a month to produce, considering we have sent home high-risk employees, we are seeing an uptick in orders due to people working from home, and are seeing occasional delays in raw materials.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
To be fair the instructions on the website say "Step 1: Assemble the frame using the screws provided. We recommend drilling pilot holes to keep top piece of frame from splitting. (Screwdriver or drill required)" so it shouldn't have been a surprise the pilot holes aren't drilled, as useful as that would have been.

The unresponsiveness is a drag though :(
To be fair,

I did drill pilot holes. I knew the website said that I would need to do so. However, I feel if they would have been pre-drilled, the wood likely wouldn't have split since it would have been design tested for durability. That is what I was trying to convey in my post and to their design team. I could have built them myself, but choose not to do so. I could have made them more durable as well. The fact that I had to reinforce something that should have been already design tested is beyond my comprehension.

I shouldn't have had this issue whether the holes were pre-drilled or not. The least they could have done was give me the correct drill bit size. I had to guess. This is an over sight. The wood split in several places. THAT is a big issue.

Just saying...
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR74 View Post
To be fair
Just saying...
I agree on all points
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
From their site https://www.gikacoustics.com/important-update-covid-19/

Important update: We have been receiving some queries with regards to our current production schedule in relation to Covid-19. Currently, it is possible your order may take over a month to produce, considering we have sent home high-risk employees, we are seeing an uptick in orders due to people working from home, and are seeing occasional delays in raw materials.
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. I was aware of this when I purchased. It took more over a month to get them. I didn't mention it but since you brought it up, you should know that am and was I well aware of the circumstances. However, I spoke to folks on the phone several times after putting them together and sent more than one email as instructed. I even followed up via phone where I always was able to speak to someone. GIK has too many hands in the pickle barrel. Customer service won't handle the request. It has to be passed around to several different people 9the design team and then someone else...from my conversation) to get resolved. To me this seems counter-productive and ridiculous.

I'm not asking for a substitute or product replacement. I resolved the issue on m own. I just want an email acknowledging that I had an issue and somehow it will be taken care of. I didn't have issues speaking to someone on the phone, but I can't get any of those I spoke to, to address this issue. Was also told to give them some time, that they were backed up. It shouldn't take more than 45 days for a response via email or a response saying that they are at least attempting to resolve the issue. What I'm saying is that there should be more than one person capable of handling an issue. It shouldn't have to pass through however many hands to get resolved.

I'm not asking for replacements. Humans are NOT raw materials...I feel I should have received a response by now. I am in a region that was shut down, so I get it. I was also sheltering in place. I had access to a computer and phone. I presume they likely do as well. They can also give other staff members that are working capability to resolve issues more effectively.
Old 1st August 2020
Quote:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. I was aware of this when I purchased. It took more over a month to get them. I didn't mention it but since you brought it up, you should know that am and was I well aware of the circumstances. However, I spoke to folks on the phone several times after putting them together and sent more than one email as instructed. I even followed up via phone where I always was able to speak to someone. GIK has too many hands in the pickle barrel. Customer service won't handle the request. It has to be passed around to several different people 9the design team and then someone else...from my conversation) to get resolved. To me this seems counter-productive and ridiculous.

I'm not asking for a substitute or product replacement. I resolved the issue on m own. I just want an email acknowledging that I had an issue and somehow it will be taken care of. I didn't have issues speaking to someone on the phone, but I can't get any of those I spoke to, to address this issue. Was also told to give them some time, that they were backed up. It shouldn't take more than 45 days for a response via email or a response saying that they are at least attempting to resolve the issue. What I'm saying is that there should be more than one person capable of handling an issue. It shouldn't have to pass through however many hands to get resolved.

I'm not asking for replacements. Humans are NOT raw materials...I feel I should have received a response by now. I am in a region that was shut down, so I get it. I was also sheltering in place. I had access to a computer and phone. I presume they likely do as well. They can also give other staff members that are working capability to resolve issues more effectively.
I understand. Right now COVID-19 is changing all our lives and the way we do things. My company has been hard hit with almost no business but we are making it through this with money we had in the bank. Not sure about the future. I just wanted to point out the information on their website. I really sympathize with what you had to go through. A lot of companies right now are operating on minimal staffing. The other day I had to wait for 1.5 hours to get through to customer service with a multinational company. I just hope and pray this will all end and soon. Best of luck! be safe and STAY HEALTHY!
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I understand. Right now COVID-19 is changing all our lives and the way we do things. My company has been hard hit with almost no business but we are making it through this with money we had in the bank. Not sure about the future. I just wanted to point out the information on their website. I really sympathize with what you had to go through. A lot of companies right now are operating on minimal staffing. The other day I had to wait for 1.5 hours to get through to customer service with a multinational company. I just hope and pray this will all end and soon. Best of luck! be safe and STAY HEALTHY!
I understand and your point is well taken.

I plan to reach out again to GIK to follow up.

Thanks.
Old 10th August 2020
who's fault is it that you can't drill holes without splits? all you have to do is measure the width of the screws with digital caliper to get the exact size then drill a pilot hole, this is 100% your own fault.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
who's fault is it that you can't drill holes without splits? all you have to do is measure the width of the screws with digital caliper to get the exact size then drill a pilot hole, this is 100% your own fault.

First of all, mind your manners. You have no clue what my experience is... Second, the wood is pressed and is not great quality to begin with. I have drilled many pilot holes in other projects for other panels and have had ZERO splits.

Don't come accusing me of something you know absolutely NOTHING about. Your opinion has been poorly executed and you are also being 100% disrespectful!
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
First of all, mind your manners. You have no clue what my experience is... Second, the wood is pressed and is not great quality to begin with. I have drilled many pilot holes in other projects for other panels and have had ZERO splits.

Don't come accusing me of something you know absolutely NOTHING about. Your opinion has been poorly executed and you are also being 100% disrespectful!
Aye aye captain!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear