The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anybody know what sound this is?
Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear
Does anybody know what sound this is?

Hello! I hope you're safe and well

Whenever I record electric guitars at home, there's this noise. It's driving me insane. Whether I plug my guitar into my audio interface or my amp, there's this sound.

Anyone knows how to fix it?

I've tried different guitars, headphones, speakers, cables and even tried plugging my AI into different power sockets. No luck.

Please help!
Attached Files

electrical_noise_at_home.mp3 (939.5 KB, 114 views)

Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear
It sounds like interference from the guitar's pickups. This is common with single coil pickups (Fender, etc.) that haven't been properly shielded. A guitar tech could shield them for you and it might help cut down the interference.
Old 28th July 2020
that's a tricky one to fix, it could very well be a light switch dimmer, make sure your guitar is well sheilded inside, often cheap amps are never sheilded properly, I like shielding them with aluminium foil, it might sound over the top but it has gotten rid of issues before.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear