The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is Steinberg still alive while having an abismal customer support?
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Why is Steinberg still alive while having an abismal customer support?

Seriously. Through the years you find out which companies have good customer support and which companies don't. Steinberg has been the worst by far, in my opinion. It is unbelievable that they get away with it for so long and it seems they have no shame. The worst is their forum in which people have various problems, but the best support is done by members of their forum and not by their employees. And those members don't even get paid for doing Steinberg's dirty work.

It just all boggles the mind. And mind you, Steinberg is not the only company that ****s on its customers. It is just a shame that hard earned money is wasted on companies that don't deserve it. Thank god for 30 days return policies.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

...maybe 'cause there are engineers such as me who can't think of a single reason why they should ever get in touch with a manufacturer - and i haven't come across a single issue which would have stopped me from using nuendo since version 2 in ca. 2003.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Been using Nuendo for 20yrs. Never needed customer support.
Ever tried to get support with Avid? I have and it was a huge pain. So?
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Been using Nuendo for 20yrs. Never needed customer support.
Ever tried to get support with Avid? I have and it was a huge pain. So?
Good to know Avid is a pain, so I can avoid them. Thanks.
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...maybe 'cause there are engineers such as me who can't think of a single reason why they should ever get in touch with a manufacturer - and i haven't come across a single issue which would have stopped me from using nuendo since version 2 in ca. 2003.
You must have a simple setup then.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmaker View Post
You must have a simple setup then.
indeed: madiface xt, mostly 128 i/o's to/from daw, another 32 to daw for stems, 32 from daw for external efx, cue mixes, backup tracks etc. and 32 inserts from/to daw - simple enough for my needs.
Old 21st July 2020
Here for the gear

It depends on the product. Support for Dorico is one of the best I have ever encountered. Had a question, wrote the product manager (!) an email, had an extensive answer within several hours. That’s unparalleled.
With Cubase though, it’s a totally different thing. Can’t comment on other products from Steinberg.
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
indeed: madiface xt, mostly 128 i/o's to/from daw, another 32 to daw for stems, 32 from daw for external efx, cue mixes, backup tracks etc. and 32 inserts from/to daw - simple enough for my needs.
I knew it.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I knew it.
care to explain how your setup is supposed to correlate with your issues?
Old 22nd July 2020
Gear Addict
I've also had bad experiences with Steinberg (& Cubase)... Or let's say no experiences since most of the time they haven't answered a signle question...Been Cubase user for over 15 years during which time I've had a few cases I've had to contact support because something hasn't been working and I couldn't found a solution myself...Like a few issues with the Steinberg dongle and downgrading Cubase because of issues caused by bugs in newer Cubase upgrades. So sad...One would think that companies like Avid and Steiny are big enough to provide a proper and working support...

-- Mikko
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

I use Halion and I had Pendleton with their elicense giving me a error and got a reply and fix in a couple days. Maybe they just don't like you 😂
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear
I think most large company customer support sucks. Microsoft, the cable companies, and my vote for worst ever and perpetual champ, AT&T. Don't even get me started on the phone menus from hell.
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

The customer support is horrid! Horrific.

But I have to admit I needed to contact them only 3 times in the last 20(!!) years since Cubase vst3... (I got a reply only once)
Very stable on most versions (I did skip a few)...Better on PC then Mac, especially CPU performance-wise.
So all in all, at least I'm not paying Pro Tools money, getting a program made of bugs AND not getting a reply, THAT would piss me off...
:-)
So the answer is that they have an ACE product, getting better and better all the time...and that keeps them going
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

I seem to get really great support from Steinberg... and Yamaha in general. So far, I can not think of an issue that has not been worked out
Old 22nd July 2020
Gear Addict

FWIW, the only time that I had to use a support ticket last year (I was having a Cubase 10.0.20 installation issue with my previous Windows 7 based system - turned out that there was a Windows component missing), I got an answer in the two days that followed.

YMMV, as usual...
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The worst is their forum in which people have various problems, but the best support is done by members of their forum and not by their employees. And those members don't even get paid for doing Steinberg's dirty work.
Seriously....their forum is peer to peer. Nowhere do they suggest Steinberg employees will solve your problems. They do lurk, but rarely chime in.

Reality....Steinberg USA phone support IMO isnt as good as peer to peer forum support. There are exceptions of course, but few. You cant have a tech support person who knows everything there is to know about Cubase. Cubase is too huge of an application for that.

On a side note, I know of one developer who's product complaint is often that it's a fantastic and unique VST, but its too expensive. He keeps the VST expensive because if he lowered the price he claims he would be flooded with support requests. Weird huh? Pay a premium, get answers that same day. It keeps the lazy out of his club is what he told me.

If you aren't happy, find a DAW developer who will give you better support and be happy. Good luck with that!
Old 22nd July 2020
My Steinberg interface is still going strong
Old 23rd July 2020
Wavelab has a secret weapon on their forums. His name is PG and he is the creator of WL. He answers almost every question and listens to users comments and problems and endeavors to make WL even better with the next update. Truly remarkable to have the creator of a program actually on the forums. I don't know what will happen if he retires. PG is the best!!!
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Wavelab has a secret weapon on their forums. His name is PG and he is the creator of WL. He answers almost every question and listens to users comments and problems and endeavors to make WL even better with the next update. Truly remarkable to have the creator of a program actually on the forums. I don't know what will happen if he retires. PG is the best!!!
For myself, part of the monetary value in Wavelab is the assurance that PG will address my issues and questions. You will never get the support PG gives from a paid support group. And over the years he has always come through with excellent support. Wavelab is PGs baby and he calls the shots. So yes, that forum is not strictly peer to peer since PG participates daily.

But Cubase is totally different. It's a group of developers. And I would guess Wavelab sales is just a very small fraction of Cubase sales. Martin Jirsak often replies to Cubase forum questions, however since it's such a broad and deep program, even Martin gives wrong answers on occasion.

The few times I have submitted a ticket or called Steinberg USA support for Cubase, all they do is log the issue and forward the problem to "Germany." And to be honest, I cant expect much more from them.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear