The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pricing gear for sale on Reverb.com
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Pricing gear for sale on Reverb.com

So everybody knows with increased fees Reverb.com is really squeezing sellers, as if they weren't already, and there is an extra percentage fee to get your ad visibility. This bites from one side, but the other is the sale price. If I look at "blue book" estimate of what a piece of gear is worth and pick the low end, or if I come out with what I think is a fair price, I will FOR SURE only get offers that are 25-30% less. If I turn off the offer option, then nothing sells at all. Am I supposed to inflate my prices 25-30% to compensate?

So on one end Reverb is taking a big cut, and on the other the buyers are constantly low-balling me with offers. At a certain point I feel like why not just give my gear to charity?

Maybe it's time to go back to ebay, price things according to their own fees and just use the "Buy It Now" feature.
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
So everybody knows with increased fees Reverb.com is really squeezing sellers, as if they weren't already, and there is an extra percentage fee to get your ad visibility. This bites from one side, but the other is the sale price. If I look at "blue book" estimate of what a piece of gear is worth and pick the low end, or if I come out with what I think is a fair price, I will FOR SURE only get offers that are 25-30% less. If I turn off the offer option, then nothing sells at all. Am I supposed to inflate my prices 25-30% to compensate?

So on one end Reverb is taking a big cut, and on the other the buyers are constantly low-balling me with offers. At a certain point I feel like why not just give my gear to charity?

Maybe it's time to go back to ebay, price things according to their own fees and just use the "Buy It Now" feature.
How did you sell gear before Ebay/Reverb? Maybe try that again?
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
How did you sell gear before Ebay/Reverb? Maybe try that again?
I haven't sold gear with any other platform since Harmony Central classifieds in the early 00's.
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Well, everyone does this differently but personally I think keeping Open To Offers ON is a good way to do business on Reverb.

I like it both as a buyer and a seller.

As a buyer it always feels good psychologically to feel like you've done a little bit of successful haggling (even if the actual amount is just a token), and as a seller, a little bit of 'to and fro' negotiating quickly gives you a sense of whether you're dealing with a fair buyer or just some clueless muppet or a dealer who is simply trying to buy things super-cheap and flip the item.

You can always block low-ball offers below a certain % of your asking price, meaning they'll never even reach you and you won't even feel the insult.

I don't really know what a 'blue-book' estimate is - I just look around and see roughly what these are selling for, but mostly I set the price at what I think is a fair one, and/or send in an offer that I think is fair.

Past sale prices simply cannot tell the whole story in terms of what's fair - sure, this U87 on the recent estimates graph might look like it sold for $500 but it was actually a blurry photo of a non-working rust-bucket with the serial number scratched out and was obviously 'hot' property. There's no comparison with that U87 that just came out of a reputable studio. A realworld example: I have a Drawmer compressor on Reverb right now that's actually been back to Drawmer only a few months ago for a service, caps replacement and repair. If I was selling to a serious, discerning buyer who is actually going to read the description of the item in full (like myself!) I know that is worth something more than the next one that features just a single stock photo and a one-line copy'n'paste description. On the other hand I'm also selling a Waldorf Pulse cheaper than the going rate because it has non-standard knobs - it annoys me that to the untrained eye that's going to look like it lowers the price of all Pulses, but there's really nothing I can do about that other than always be honest with my own listings and hope people take the time to read the details.

Of course, much of this is rather idealistic and often things don't actually work this way because of a million other market variables. And yes, of course I have sent in the odd low-ball offer in the expectation that the seller will refuse. And if I get lowballed as a seller I first check someone's feedback profile to see if they are worth responding to, and then I will usually take the time to write back and see if once they know me and a bit more about what I'm offering there's room for a deal in there somewhere. People who don't even reply to sensible offers (I'm always amazed how many people do this!) - well, I just ignore them in future; clearly I don't even want to start dealing with anyone who is fundamentally rude.

One final thing I'll say is that selling on Reverb can be a relative 'slow-burn'. If you price your items fairly people will eventually find you and they will eventually sell in my experience, but if you're used to or absolutely have to shift stuff within a week then you might be better off listing elsewhere, albeit maybe for less.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 20th July 2020 at 09:54 AM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear