The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone know of any 24/7 recording studios in Northern Ohio???
Old 19th July 2020
Anyone know of any 24/7 recording studios in Northern Ohio???

I keep getting all these calls from people who want to come over and do a recording session RIGHT NOW! I got one this morning at 12 noon and the caller called four times within 5 minutes. She obviously did not check the number before dialing it again.

I seriously would like to recommend another studio for these people since we are NOT a recording studio and we ONLY do mastering, video and audio/video restoration. I got a couple of calls about a month ago from a very determined caller who said "I just got to get this out of my head and onto the internet" and wanted to come "right over" at 11 pm at night. I also got a couple at 2 am a couple of months back. Most times I just tell them that we are not a recording studio and they hang up. With the COVID-19 threat increasing in Ohio I doubt there are any studios who do face to face recordings but I don't know. Any suggestions as to studios that are open and are doing face to face recording sessions in Northern Ohio at the present time? Thanks in advance.

FWIW: We are not having any clients in for client attended mastering sessions but with the proper safe guards we are allowing clients to drop off and pick up their materials.

Be safe and STAY HEALTHY!
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Time to add a room!!
Old 21st July 2020
Man you need to switch on the answerphone out of hours!
Old 21st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Man you need to switch on the answerphone out of hours!
With out going into personal details I have to be able to answer the phone if my Niece or her Mom calls me.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 21st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
With out going into personal details I have to be able to answer the phone if my Niece or her Mom calls me.

Fair enough - but you can set up services so only certain numbers get through. Most mobiles can do this too (the iPhone certainly can set specific numbers to defeat true do not disturb function - itโ€™s the only way I can get through to my wife half the time!).
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

So your personal phone is your work phone...?
Old 21st July 2020
Here for the gear
Tom,
There is the Akron Recording Company:

https://www.akronrecordingcompany.com/

Great name, actually :-)
Old 23rd July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagefields View Post
Tom,
There is the Akron Recording Company:

https://www.akronrecordingcompany.com/

Great name, actually :-)
I looked at their website. I don't think I will be sending any one there. Thanks for the info.

Be safe and stay healthy.
Old 24th July 2020
Quote:
I looked at their website. I don't think I will be sending any one there. Thanks for the info.

Be safe and stay healthy.
I don't know - looks like your typical "guys in bands open a rehearsal room and tack on recording/jack of all trades" type thing. They've got decent enough gear (better than the usual at this sort of place) and look like they're into it.

Assuming they're charging prices to fit, what's the issue?
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I thought I was in Hipster Hell whilst browsing their website.
Old 24th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
I thought I was in Hipster Hell whilst browsing their website.
Haha but you could say that about a lot of places...!
Old 24th July 2020
Quote:
I don't know - looks like your typical "guys in bands open a rehearsal room and tack on recording/jack of all trades" type thing. They've got decent enough gear (better than the usual at this sort of place) and look like they're into it.

Before I recommend any studio I like to meet the owners and know a bit more about them. I am not going to drive to Akron (about 65 miles from here) to meet these people so I have to rely on their website. For all the reasons you mentioned I would probably not recommend them. It looks like a warehouse that is also a recording studio/video studio/mastering studio and storage space.

Maybe I will find another place to recommend. Maybe they do exceptional work but their website is not forthcoming with information.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 24th July 2020
Quote:
Before I recommend any studio I like to meet the owners and know a bit more about them. I am not going to drive to Akron (about 65 miles from here) to meet these people so I have to rely on their website.
Well fair enough, but that's not really their fault!

Quote:
For all the reasons you mentioned I would probably not recommend them. It looks like a warehouse that is also a recording studio/video studio/mastering studio and storage space.
Definitely jacks of all trade!

Quote:
Maybe I will find another place to recommend. Maybe they do exceptional work but their website is not forthcoming with information.
Well, there's links to audio projects. I had a listen. It's not terrible. At least, the recordings aren't terrible - the bands/artists I heard were average! But it's not great either - kind of demo-ish sounding bands, boring generic hip hop.

More worrying is the statement "mixing and mastering from $65 (2hrs max)".

I'd revise my statement somewhat. I wouldn't recommend it based on the methodology and the samples either, definitely a bottom feeder type joint. Shame - it could be pretty cool.
Old 24th July 2020
Quote:
I'd revise my statement somewhat. I wouldn't recommend it based on the methodology and the samples either, definitely a bottom feeder type joint. Shame - it could be pretty cool.
I agree. I have seen recording studios in old warehouses that were amazing. I think this place does almost anything to make money and probably does none of them particularly well. There used to be a plethora of recording studios within 10 miles of my studio but they all seem to have either closed or changed directions and are now "personal studios". Too bad some of them were GREAT to work with and I always felt comfortable sending recording clients to them. A couple of studios were fantastic but then they started offering mastering (something that I do) to the recording clients that I sent them. I was somewhat upset but, hey, we all have to live and make money.

There was a group of people in Oberlin that wanted to start a studio/remote recording operation but the cost of startup versus what people in this area were willing to pay soon put a damper on their plans.

The day of the DIY'er is here and people will go to GC or Sweetwater lay down some serious $$$$ and then wonder why their stuff doesn't sound professional. HINT: it all has to do with the person who is doing the work. Unfortunately the DIY'ers caused the shut down of a lot of commercial studios so the independent artist, who is not a DIY'er, has really nowhere to go if they want to record.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear