reality vs. insanity
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

reality vs. insanity

teenage engineering...

plain white unbranded t-shirt = £70

1 x tiny bit of plastic & small elastic band (bender) £15

1 x unbranded radio Ariel (£1.50 amazon) = £15

1 x `shower` case (`cause that`s the way ya want you stuff to hang, baby!)
£190

they nearly doubled the price of the op-1 and rectified none of the problems with it.

etcetc. Has ever a company took the pss more out of anybody than TE?
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Do you think some of that could be tongue in cheek/humour?
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Head

Companies will charge whatever they can get away with.
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Nut

45.-€
11,-€ Shipping
—————-——
56,-€ Total

Ooops!

I mean an OP-Z is a nice piece of gear, but this?
I can’t believe what I’m seeing here...
Attached Thumbnails
reality vs. insanity-19f5b518-e440-43df-8b49-3a03c1227090.jpg  
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Addict
Only people who wear White Mountaineering, Supreme collabs, Stussy, and buy their skate gear from Zumiez are into Teenage Engineering gear.

This is what boutique companies do. Half of it is about humor and brand/legacy-building. The rest is $$
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

they are a design company. they happen to make some audio related gear occasionally. but they are not a music tech company. plus nobody forces you to buy anything that they make. they're cool toys. but gimmicky. op1 felt really nice in the hand and design wise. made a few tracks for a release using the onboard synth sounds and quickly moved on to better more interesting gear. the op1 design did kinda make it on the cover though

Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

The very name "trust fund" is an inside joke in itself. At least they're not buying angel dust or 'ludes with it (do they still make those somewhere?). Look at it this way - would you rather your kid call you from jail, or from Brooklyn? Anyway, they learned it from you, dad! Now, go back to overpaying for your Moog systems and Gibsons and fancy wine.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

It's a company focused on hipster design , that's what yo pay for
I never considered them a synth company , I had the op-1 sold it after 3 weeks ..crappiest algoritms ever
Just noticed the price of the op-1 price doubled LOL , I got mine for 700 euro's back in 2014 , now it's 1400..totally insane
Their designs from a purely aesthetic pov are great .
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

When I saw the plastic case I definitely thought it was something you hang on your dorm shower (maybe their inspiration).

Obviously someone is paying these prices, more power to them.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

It's pretty silly, of course, but it's not more insane than literally pissing away your life working a job you don't really like so that you can buy a more expensive car and house than you need, with a large part of the motivation coming from wanting to impress people with those things. And it seems to me that people with this kind of mental illness vastly outnumber the try-hard hipsters.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

yeah there taking the piss but they know the woke starbucks soy latte drinking beard wearing tight jeans army will buy it..i wont because there stuff is over priced,over designed and dont fit in with most studios..
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

yeah there taking the piss but they know the woke starbucks soy latte drinking beard wearing tight jeans army will buy it..i wont because there stuff is over priced,over designed and dont fit in with most studios..
Old 19th July 2020
I know some very legit electronic musicians / composers / producers that I’m sure people in this thread are into who use the op-1 for interesting things when they’re traveling or for live stuff. They bought them when they were cheaper, of course. If teenage engineering stuff is “overpriced toys for hipsters”, then it seems like those that don’t like overpriced “toys” and who are not “hipsters” (whatever that means) wouldn’t care about what they cost or what they do - they would focus on the tools that they like that are priced fairly. Any other reaction seems based in insecurity or envy or something.

FWIW (nothing) I have never used any teenage engineering stuff but I’d love to play around with the op1 or op-Z sometime...seem fun.
Old 19th July 2020
Kja
Lives for gear
I believe it's all tongue in cheek humour.. this is the same company that half of there music instruments don't have real cases and are made from a sheet of metal or a PCB... It's all a big screw you too the "my precious" synth crowd... They think it's cool to not be materialistic by making things that are very hard to love!! Lol..
They remind me allot of buchla actually..
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Come on, think about it! Obviously, you don't just get a "plain white unbranded t-shirt" for your £70. That would only be performance art, barely above "mime" on the pyramid. No, that t-shirt must be wrapped around a quarter ounce of the finest Swedish dank. The £190 "shower case", a half ounce. The £15 "small plastic thing" looks like a roll, to me. Accessories indeed!
Old 21st July 2020
Fact of life:People will pay what they will for what they think important.

How many people are going around right now with some sports/sports equipment logo on their $35.00 tee shirt. Not only are you over paying for the tee shirt you are also doing "FREE ADVERTISING" for the equipment supplier or sports team. It has been going on for decades. Look at NIKE's $250.00 tennis shoes. I guess you just have to prioritize what you want to spend your hard earned money on.

FWIW
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear