The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Duped by a HA 1176 Seller
Old 14th July 2020
Duped by a HA 1176 Seller

I am posting this story here to help anyone avoid the hell I am going through with a fraudulent seller (and to vent thank you!). I purchased a Hairball Audio 1176 unit listed in "FAIR"condition on Reverb.Com. I use Reverb because they service the professional audio community and I have never had a problem with purchases on there and in fact never had to return anything. People have been up front until now. According to my back and forth with this seller whom I am unfortunately barred from naming here...the unit was listed as "FAIR" only because of certain cosmetic blemishes and because of the age of the unit (2010 Hairball Audio) The listing did not have very good pics but the unit seemed good for the price ($680including shipping) and the seller claimed the functionality was great and the unit only required a calibration which is about a $75 investment with my tech here in So Fla. I went for it. Upon arrival I first noticed the packaging was totally shoddy badly taped job and an old raggedy box. I opened the unit and it looked like the pic with scratches but like a sturdy Hairball Audio 1176. I set it up (even without calibration I of course wanted to test it). First off the input and output knobs were badly misaligned with the numbers. The input knob was "bent" and stuck some. The unit worked. I ran some drums through it and there were loud pops and lots of noise but with all buttons in and input and output cranked the drums became a beautiful mess. Still, something seemed out of whack. I tokk it in to get calibrated. My engineer came back to me after the July 4th holiday and told me 1. the unit had a bad input potentiometer, 2. looked to be poorly wired 3. was real noisy and all the fixes to get it up to the standards of a Hairball Audio 1176 fully ready to go calibrated unit would be under $400. He rec'd that I return the unit. In good faith, thinking I would have no problem on Reverb.Com , I got back to the seller and asked for a full refund + shipping. The unit had been sold "AS IS" but was sold as "FAIR" and clearly was instead a "Damaged" item. The seller could not be more of a jerk unfortunately and I have had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back and this unit returned. Luckily REVERB.Com has a very strict buyer protection and I was within the 7 day window just barely because of the July 4th holiday. I will be fully reimbursed and returning this unit to this bogus seller. At this point I am getting a Universal Audio 1176 LN brand new any moment now and I couldn't be more happy. I'd be happy to buy the Hairball Audio or perhaps even buy the kit and make one myslef in the future. The moral of this story is - beware of sheisters. Even on a top pro site like Reverb.com some fraud may b lerking. Test your gear as soon as you get it and know the store policies for returns and how you are protected. I don't know what else I could have done to avoid this bad story. The guy had good reviews and a few bad ones. He did not communicate well before the sale and that should have been a huger red flag. I hope this helps someone. Good luck and Happy Buying.
Old 15th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseconde View Post
I am posting this story here to help anyone avoid the hell I am going through with a fraudulent seller (and to vent thank you!). I purchased a Hairball Audio 1176 unit listed in "FAIR"condition on Reverb.Com. I use Reverb because they service the professional audio community and I have never had a problem with purchases on there and in fact never had to return anything. People have been up front until now. According to my back and forth with this seller whom I am unfortunately barred from naming here...the unit was listed as "FAIR" only because of certain cosmetic blemishes and because of the age of the unit (2010 Hairball Audio) The listing did not have very good pics but the unit seemed good for the price ($680including shipping) and the seller claimed the functionality was great and the unit only required a calibration which is about a $75 investment with my tech here in So Fla. I went for it. Upon arrival I first noticed the packaging was totally shoddy badly taped job and an old raggedy box. I opened the unit and it looked like the pic with scratches but like a sturdy Hairball Audio 1176. I set it up (even without calibration I of course wanted to test it). First off the input and output knobs were badly misaligned with the numbers. The input knob was "bent" and stuck some. The unit worked. I ran some drums through it and there were loud pops and lots of noise but with all buttons in and input and output cranked the drums became a beautiful mess. Still, something seemed out of whack. I tokk it in to get calibrated. My engineer came back to me after the July 4th holiday and told me 1. the unit had a bad input potentiometer, 2. looked to be poorly wired 3. was real noisy and all the fixes to get it up to the standards of a Hairball Audio 1176 fully ready to go calibrated unit would be under $400. He rec'd that I return the unit. In good faith, thinking I would have no problem on Reverb.Com , I got back to the seller and asked for a full refund + shipping. The unit had been sold "AS IS" but was sold as "FAIR" and clearly was instead a "Damaged" item. The seller could not be more of a jerk unfortunately and I have had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back and this unit returned. Luckily REVERB.Com has a very strict buyer protection and I was within the 7 day window just barely because of the July 4th holiday. I will be fully reimbursed and returning this unit to this bogus seller. At this point I am getting a Universal Audio 1176 LN brand new any moment now and I couldn't be more happy. I'd be happy to buy the Hairball Audio or perhaps even buy the kit and make one myslef in the future. The moral of this story is - beware of sheisters. Even on a top pro site like Reverb.com some fraud may b lerking. Test your gear as soon as you get it and know the store policies for returns and how you are protected. I don't know what else I could have done to avoid this bad story. The guy had good reviews and a few bad ones. He did not communicate well before the sale and that should have been a huger red flag. I hope this helps someone. Good luck and Happy Buying.
Yeah, that sucks big time! There really is nothing you can do, it's in the end a leap of faith that the seller is being transparent. You simply had a bad experience, having nothing to do with Hairball. But, perhaps the moral of the story is, if you're buying DIY gear, you have to be extra careful. Clearly this guy had no business building a compressor. You're lucking you didn't blowup your 500 series rack or worse.

I purchased a Hairball RevA Blue on Reverb. I probably have a string of messages well into 30 deep. And I only did it because he showed me emails from Hairball and a written report stating that they had given it a once over and calibration before he sold it. Needles to see it's fully functional. The next one I got which was a Rev D, I just had my tech make it for me. They're both outstanding comps.

Glad you were able to get your money back!! And good post...
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Addict

Wow I know which listing you mean, I almost bought that item...!
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Maniac

I also almost bought that blue stripe. I can say from experience that if you were to fall out of that period, even by a day or two, Reverb would not give a flying heck about you.
Old 15th July 2020
Really glad it worked out for you. I've read about a few reverb cases recently where the buyers were nearly stuck with things, including a counterfeit item. Always risks when buying used.
Old 15th July 2020
I bought some mini audio cassette recorders from two different people on Ebay. Both listed their items as "working in perfect condition" unfortunately neither of them matched the description and one of them literally went "up in smoke" when it was turned on. I got my money back for both of them. There are a lot of scam artist on Ebay and Reverb, although I think less on Reverb, so the old adage "buyer beware" applies. I sympathize with your plight. Glad it all worked out in your favor.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
Yep fell for the same scam on Reverb. Hairball Audio 76 that just needed to be "calibrated". I wasn't quick enough and this one just sits on the shelf. Always act quick and test gear the day you get it. I was looking into getting it repaired as Hairball does offer a repair service for $150, but you have to detach the PCB and that would involve desoldering. My tools are somewhere, I just don't really care anymore.

Vast majority of purchases have gone great on Reverb and they have settled a dispute before that was within the time frame. This world needs a massive injection of morals again though, Satan's winning as far as I'm concerned.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Yep fell for the same scam on Reverb. Hairball Audio 76 that just needed to be "calibrated". I wasn't quick enough and this one just sits on the shelf. Always act quick and test gear the day you get it. I was looking into getting it repaired as Hairball does offer a repair service for $150, but you have to detach the PCB and that would involve desoldering. My tools are somewhere, I just don't really care anymore.

Vast majority of purchases have gone great on Reverb and they have settled a dispute before that was within the time frame. This world needs a massive injection of morals again though, Satan's winning as far as I'm concerned.
Dm me if you want to sell it
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear