The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Refusing a Thomann Delivery in the US, Anyone Done This?
Old 14th July 2020
Refusing a Thomann Delivery in the US, Anyone Done This?

First world problems, and kind of silly, but I'm a little irritated.

Long story short, I ordered a Jaspers stand over a month ago (June 10), paid $72 US to have it shipped over and it has been sitting in a USPS distribution facility 20 miles from me for nearly a week. I have personally visited both my nearest distribution facility around the corner, and the one across town that tracking says it's sitting at. Both trips were a giant waste of time. There was no option for any other carrier.

Anyway, It came into the US via DHL to Miami customs, handed off to USPS and took two days to get it up here to NE Florida where it has been sitting all this time...20 miles away. USPS is unable to tell me when it's going to be delivered. Getting them on the phone is near impossible as wait times are over 90 minutes. Then they tell me they have no idea, just wait. Every day, the tracking site says "on its way to the next facility" with whatever date today is.

At this point, I am so frustrated that I am going to go in a different direction (slat wall) since it seems there is really no end in sight and nowhere else to buy one of these stands. They could bring it next month, who knows, cannot get an answer out of them. All I guess I can really do is refuse the shipment, USPS can haul it back to Germany and I'll take it up with the credit card company to get my money back.

I realize this is only partly Thomann's fault (they waited several days before shipping it which didn't help), and the rest lies with the carrier, but never again. I can only imagine if I paid thousands for something and knew it was sitting in a warehouse with the carrier refusing to put it on a truck for that "last mile". At least it was only $400.

Since no one sells Jaspers in the US as many here already know, overseas shipment is really the only option. I've read numerous stories here saying people got things in "two or three days" or "a couple of weeks". Yeah well I'm jealous and you got lucky. Never again.

Anyone ever refused an overseas shipment like this? Can I even do that? <end rant>
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Why don’t you wait on it being delivered ?
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Nut
There are quite a lot of shipping delays with the virus situation everywhere. Normally Thomann ships within a day, but since the pandemic started they've shipped slower than usual due to limitations imposed by the shipping companies.

For international shipping from overseas I've had very different outcomes in the last few months, even when using EMS (shortest: four days for a large item, longest almost a month).

Basically, waiting is the only thing you can do. Besides, if USPS is unreachable for asking information, how are you going to tell them you don't want the package anymore?
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Why don’t you wait on it being delivered ?
Well I really have no choice...but when is that? Two weeks? Three? Complicating matters I have a cross country drive scheduled for the 22nd and will be returning after the 1st.

I'm planning on giving it until Friday of this week. I never expected this to take over a month, and certainly not a week sitting in a warehouse across town for no good reason.

My bills sure show up on time, though, so I know at least that part of the post office is functioning.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

USPS had a system barf about a month ago with everything stuck in transit, although it had been delivered. It's possible it happened again (or if it's been sitting there that long, it's the same one.). Things don't sit around for more than a day (except Media Mail). Go to their website and file a Help Form for Missing Mail.& Lost Packages. I don't think anybody who answers the phone can actually help you.
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
There are quite a lot of shipping delays with the virus situation everywhere. Normally Thomann ships within a day, but since the pandemic started they've shipped slower than usual due to limitations imposed by the shipping companies.

For international shipping from overseas I've had very different outcomes in the last few months, even when using EMS (shortest: four days for a large item, longest almost a month).

Basically, waiting is the only thing you can do. Besides, if USPS is unreachable for asking information, how are you going to tell them you don't want the package anymore?
What is EMS? Haven't heard of this.

Your answer is logical and makes sense, but it's not stuck at a port in Germany or New York. You can reach them, you just have to sit on hold for 90 minutes (which is what I'm doing yet once again as I post this).
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Maniac

We are in a global pandemic.

Everyone has to wait longer for stuff and it's been like that for months.

As your first line says, you are being silly.
Old 14th July 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Can't you pick it up from the depot? That's strange.
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
USPS had a system barf about a month ago with everything stuck in transit, although it had been delivered. It's possible it happened again (or if it's been sitting there that long, it's the same one.). Things don't sit around for more than a day (except Media Mail). Go to their website and file a Help Form for Missing Mail.& Lost Packages. I don't think anybody who answers the phone can actually help you.
Had them mess up an Amazon delivery back around Jan/Feb. Said it had been "delivered" but it wasn't. Amazon helped out, gave me a refund, and I reordered the item, only to have the original, "already delivered", package show up a week or two later. Amazon didn't want it back and said "keep it" and now I have two of said item LOL.
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Can't you pick it up from the depot? That's strange.
No, it's at a "regional distribution center" so off limits to the public. Went there today, it's 20 miles from here, and had to speak to someone at the front door over a phone who said "call the 800 number".

And yes, I tried to call this location first. Recorded message with 5 minutes of directions about how to get there, then it hung up.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

I don't understand why you would refuse delivery. You obviously needed / wanted the stand enough to order it.
So what if it takes a little longer? We're in the middle of a global pandemic.
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
I don't understand why you would refuse delivery. You obviously needed / wanted the stand enough to order it.
So what if it takes a little longer? We're in the middle of a global pandemic.
I agree with you but, like I said, it's supposedly sitting at a warehouse across town and has been for about a week. Maybe "hey, sorry, but things are backed up", or "we're unfortunately running behind because of the pandemic" would suffice. Instead it's "we don't know", "call the 800 number", "go enter the tracking number at our website" well, that's not being very helpful. Should I consider it lost? Or just late? If people here are saying a month isn't unusual, then that's a little more encouraging.

I just don't buy much stuff from overseas, and this is my first time dealing with Thomann.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
First world problems, and kind of silly, but I'm a little irritated.

Long story short, I ordered a Jaspers stand over a month ago (June 10), paid $72 US to have it shipped over and it has been sitting in a USPS distribution facility 20 miles from me for nearly a week. I have personally visited both my nearest distribution facility around the corner, and the one across town that tracking says it's sitting at. Both trips were a giant waste of time. There was no option for any other carrier.

Anyway, It came into the US via DHL to Miami customs, handed off to USPS and took two days to get it up here to NE Florida where it has been sitting all this time...20 miles away. USPS is unable to tell me when it's going to be delivered. Getting them on the phone is near impossible as wait times are over 90 minutes. Then they tell me they have no idea, just wait. Every day, the tracking site says "on its way to the next facility" with whatever date today is.

At this point, I am so frustrated that I am going to go in a different direction (slat wall) since it seems there is really no end in sight and nowhere else to buy one of these stands. They could bring it next month, who knows, cannot get an answer out of them. All I guess I can really do is refuse the shipment, USPS can haul it back to Germany and I'll take it up with the credit card company to get my money back.

I realize this is only partly Thomann's fault (they waited several days before shipping it which didn't help), and the rest lies with the carrier, but never again. I can only imagine if I paid thousands for something and knew it was sitting in a warehouse with the carrier refusing to put it on a truck for that "last mile". At least it was only $400.

Since no one sells Jaspers in the US as many here already know, overseas shipment is really the only option. I've read numerous stories here saying people got things in "two or three days" or "a couple of weeks". Yeah well I'm jealous and you got lucky. Never again.

Anyone ever refused an overseas shipment like this? Can I even do that? <end rant>
wait or don't

seems you are pissed at the delivery system in the U.S, DID YOU COMPLAIN?

thomann did their thing as far as i can see

Maybe you need a 450, or a punch bag or something similar to let some of this build up out ?
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
wait or don't

seems you are pissed at the delivery system in the U.S, DID YOU COMPLAIN?

thomann did their thing as far as i can see

Maybe you need a 450, or a punch bag or something similar to let some of this build up out ?
Yes, yes I did.

And since when is it not okay to piss and moan?

Be nice or I'll start yet another Behringer thread!
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear
One time a courier didn't even bother to show at my address and lied that I refused delivery and package was returned back to Thomann. So I can imagine that is possible. If I recall correctly they shipped it again and second time it was delivered fine.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, yes I did.

And since when is it not okay to piss and moan?

Be nice or I'll start yet another Behringer thread!

thankyou for keeping a S.O.H

hey we all get pissy at delays - hammer the bas7ards who are holding the gear, troll them badly, emails, calls, spend some time and energy on them
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

When it actually does show up, why on Earth would you refuse delivery? I would only refuse delivery if it doesn't show up.
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
It's a likely explanation of why OP's delivery is stuck in the state it is in.

There's nothing political about facts and science, despite what some may think.

Pete
Indeed, after 1h 38m on hold the guy said "we're short staffed due to the corona virus and this is not unusual". They "opened a ticket", whatever that means. I just said, "why don't you just reach out to the distribution center and ask them when it's going on the truck?" He said "can't do that, but I opened up a ticket."

This may become my standard answer in the future whenever anyone's pissed off at me.

Where is the "shrug" emoji?
Old 14th July 2020
Here for the gear

Funny story I ordered a Jaspers Stand from Thomanns Germany also about a month ago and it also got held up in a loop for about 3 weeks.

Firstly I missed the guy at the door by about 5 minutes (heard him drive off) our doorbell doesn't work and he may have knocked but I knew it was coming so was checking every 30 mins or so for a package. I ordered extra holders too the annoying thing is they just left those by the door but the big stand they took away and stashed at their distribution center.

Also USPS handed it over to Startrack so when I started tracking it to schedule a redelivery I was calling and logging onto startrack who would ignore every request to redeliver it. I worked out by ringing them that I had to either contact Thomanns to get it redelivered or USPS, I eventually got them to redeliver it and f***king waited by my front door all day to meet the guy and grab it.

When the Startrack guy came he said "oh I've seen this one just sitting around for 2 weeks and wondered if it was going here" (I order gear a lot and have it delivered so he knows me) anyway, I just told him he can leave any packages by the back door which is out of sight from now on.

Yes it is a hassle, and yes the pandemic hasn't helped but try calling USPS with your original tracking code and ask them to redeliver it ASAP.
Old 14th July 2020
This is the risk one runs ordering anything from overseas. I had two items held by USPS from Thomann. One took a month, the other one week. This was several years ago. Pandemic doesn’t help things. You took the risk; actions have consequences. Of course it’s annoying, but I’m not sure what you’re looking for. You either wait, or “refuse delivery” and deal with that headache.
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

That's cruel fate, though, having the holdup, on an international shipment, happen 20 miles away.
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Nut

I guess those are, like, just the breaks dude.

Seriously though, I ordered a matriarch from a store in Toronto and it took over a month to get to my apartment (also in Toronto, requested the priciest/fastest shipping method). Try out Canada post some time lol You'll think UPS are miracle workers

I'm actually still waiting on a small package of modules that I ordered, that have been in transit since June 17th with Canada Post. I ordered an argon 8 from perfect circuit last weekend through Purolator and got it from the US in 2 days (with cheapest shipping option).

Frustrating for sure, but I assume the delays are for safety reasons, and not just the post office jerking me around
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I agree with you but, like I said, it's supposedly sitting at a warehouse across town and has been for about a week.
So I had something shipped from Washington to Texas and it sat in a ups warehouse for 6 days in idaho. The thing is the warehouse was understaffed and the sorting / processing simply couldn't happen. Your stuff, like my stuff, is sitting around with hundreds of thousands of other people's stuff.. They could either have all available staff answer phones and explain to the reasons one by one.

It sucks, and of course it makes it even harder when you have to try to work the logistics of 'it will happen when it happens' into everything else.

I feel your pain, but its the way things are for now.
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Great stand. Worth the wait.
Be patient
Old 15th July 2020
Glad this community is around to keep me from going...postal.

How am I supposed to quarantine myself without a 6D 120B? This is an essential supply.

Guess I'm not alone.
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Agree with Pete. Find something else to do. It'll show up eventually.
Old 15th July 2020
Jtt
Gear Addict

Thomann has always taken 4-6 weeks for me. It just takes a ton of time to clear customs and find its way through usps. Things aren't moving all that fast currently, if you hadn't noticed. What are you doing right now that makes this need to get done yesterday?

Be aware that USPS wants to see someone home in order to drop off from thomann.
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

**** is moving extra slow through the system. I ordered a key fob battery (refuse to pay $6 for one in person) and it took over two weeks from the day it was postmarked to get here. That’s just domestic.

Absolutely not helpful to take out your frustrations on the workers, I guarantee it is out of their control. Most of them are being expected to do more work (everyone ordering more things online) with less people (reduced/rotating staff in the warehouse) in questionable conditions/at the risk of being exposed to their coworkers/you/etc...
Old 15th July 2020
You guys are getting only a few weeks of delay?

Over in Australia, I ordered a guitar pedal from Russia on Reverb.com,

on April 11th 2020.

The tracking shows it just completed it's transit and has landed domestically, never mind it getting to a distribution center near me, now I'm patient person but this is 3 months now.

Hopefully it arrives unmolested and in good working order, I paid $600 dollarydoos for it.
Old 15th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOmegaShadow View Post
You guys are getting only a few weeks of delay?

Over in Australia, I ordered a guitar pedal from Russia on Reverb.com,

on April 11th 2020.

The tracking shows it just completed it's transit and has landed domestically, never mind it getting to a distribution center near me, now I'm patient person but this is 3 months now.

Hopefully it arrives unmolested and in good working order, I paid $600 dollarydoos for it.
When I was a kid "Please wait 6-8 weeks for delivery" was the standard for pretty much everything. In Australia, that was probably 6-8 months

Pete
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear