The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Refusing a Thomann Delivery in the US, Anyone Done This?
Old 15th July 2020
These are JASPERS and worth the wait! Have some one sign for you like a neighbor.
Old 15th July 2020
As an aside: I ordered my stand directly from Jaspers after I tried to order from Thomann and they told me the shipping would be crazy expensive.

Jaspers also has all the parts and add-ons on their site. Shipping was no problem.

https://www.jaspers-alu.de/index.php?sprache=2

Pete
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith View Post
really! i had the impression that taxes on tobacco, gasoline and real estate (that's civic but the state gets a kickback) were rather at an all time high! not to mention all the online activity the state profits from - and now getting to charge state sales tax on out-of-state sales pretty much doubles the income previous to that i'm guessing
Yep, down 8.8% in June from 2019. Corona is going to kill the budget, which unfortunately will hurt a lot of people, particularly the schools, which I believe were the first to face cuts (smfh).
Old 15th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Yep, down 8.8% in June from 2019. Corona is going to kill the budget, which unfortunately will hurt a lot of people, particularly the schools, which I believe were the first to face cuts (smfh).
Interestingly, sales tax is a drop in the bucket there (-2.7%). For some reason, corporate income tax is down 56% from last year.

Details here:
https://dor.georgia.gov/press-releas...venues-down-88

Pete
Old 15th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Interestingly, sales tax is a drop in the bucket there (-2.7%). For some reason, corporate income tax is down 56% from last year.

Details here:

Pete
The litmus test from the lawsuit that started it all is whether the company has a significant presence in the state.

That standard is if the vendor does more than 200 transactions or $100,000 in-state sales, they need to collect and remit sales taxes on transactions in that state. So an outfit like Perfect Circuit may not meet that standard in some states. I doubt they're doing that kind of revenue in, say, Alabama vs somewhere like Illinois or New York.
Old 15th July 2020
You ordered something from a different continent during a pandemic.
Refusing the delivery would be throwing your toys out of the pram.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post

Details here:

Pete
Not sure how to explain that one. I don’t know enough about what may or may not have changed in the last year or two. My first guess would be companies pulling out as a result of the heartbeat bill, but that seems like a stretch.
Old 16th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Nope. Most places on Reverb don't charge state sales tax to several states still, including Louisiana. B&H Photo/Video doesn't charge state tax outside NY (and possibly a couple others). Analog Haven, Detroit Modular, Perfect Circuit, Pro Audio LA, etc., etc., etc. still aren't charging tax unless you're from that home state.

If you're paying tax now then you're not getting the best available prices.
Everything I've bought from reverb and definitely Sweetwater has hit me with a tax since April of last year. Maybe smaller stores aren't doing it. It's been very worth it for me to buy from Thomann and just pay the shipping these days. I think I got the VC340 for 475 plus shipping vs 699 and tax from somewhere in the US.

It's due to the U.S. Supreme Court Overturning the 1992 Quill Ecommerce Tax case in the South Dakota v. Wayfair that states can mandate that businesses without a physical presence in a state with more than 200 transactions or $100,000 in-state sales collect and remit sales taxes on transactions in the state.
Old 16th July 2020
IIRC it depends on how much business they do within your state. In PA I've gotten taxed from Sweetwater, ZZounds/AMS but not from Perfect Circuit or Three Wave. It's probably different in each state, but AFAIK if you do $100,000 of business in PA you have to pay our sales tax.
Old 16th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
Everything I've bought from reverb and definitely Sweetwater has hit me with a tax since April of last year. Maybe smaller stores aren't doing it. It's been very worth it for me to buy from Thomann and just pay the shipping these days. I think I got the VC340 for 475 plus shipping vs 699 and tax from somewhere in the US.

It's due to the U.S. Supreme Court Overturning the 1992 Quill Ecommerce Tax case in the South Dakota v. Wayfair that states can mandate that businesses without a physical presence in a state with more than 200 transactions or $100,000 in-state sales collect and remit sales taxes on transactions in the state.
Sweetwater charges everywhere. I still use them for extreme sales, but most other stores are easier to get discounts. If you love Sweetwater’s service and are ok paying more, go for it.

I’m well aware (I think most Americans are) of the state tax/online tax situation. The point you should take away here is there are still many stores you can avoid paying the tax for now, no matter where you live.
Old 16th July 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

So: if you buy from an american shop you pay tax, but if you import it from europe, there is no tax? Is that right?

That sounds crazy.
Old 16th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
So: if you buy from an american shop you pay tax, but if you import it from europe, there is no tax? Is that right?

That sounds crazy.
You wouldn't pay European VAT, but you are subject to import duty taxes.
Old 16th July 2020
Quote:
So: if you buy from an american shop you pay tax
In person you pay the state tax which % varies state by state.

As stated earlier, you can still avoid online taxes if you shop around. I probably pay online tax about 20% of the time for music gear from stores. Sometimes what you want is only available at a couple stores or there could be deals that outweigh the tax.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
I agree with you but, like I said, it's supposedly sitting at a warehouse across town and has been for about a week. Maybe "hey, sorry, but things are backed up", or "we're unfortunately running behind because of the pandemic" would suffice. Instead it's "we don't know", "call the 800 number", "go enter the tracking number at our website" well, that's not being very helpful. Should I consider it lost? Or just late? If people here are saying a month isn't unusual, then that's a little more encouraging.

I just don't buy much stuff from overseas, and this is my first time dealing with Thomann.
This is not Thomann fault at all. You should stop bringing it every time. It's your local problem.

It doesn't matter if Thomann shipped it x days after you paid - they shipped it within reasonable margin (pandemic,remember). But they shipped it.

As other people said we are in pandemic situation. Everything is being delayed. Worldwide. Literally.

I do understand your frustration i really do. Here i am in Europe and i ordered Novation keyboard with Thomann. Guess what? It took longer then usual. Maybe Thomann delayed it (pandemic), then carrier delayed it(pandemic), then import process delayed it (pandemic). But it's here.

I suggest you wait for it and be done with it.

I envy you. If that is one of your biggest problem i truly envy you. No pun intended. No disrespect intended.

Respect and stay safe.
Old 16th July 2020
So...this recent Synth Memes post seems relevant

Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Your bills aren’t horribly backed up in customs, this entirely an issue with the international post due to c-19.

I have no clue what you think this has to do with the vendor. We’re all stressed out but try to have some perspective.

People are likely dying where you are too.

i’m a cranky butt that my Keystep pro isn’t here after months of preorder but i try to keep in mind the supply chain ****ery going on now.
Old 16th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Your bills aren’t horribly backed up in customs, this entirely an issue with the international post due to c-19.

I have no clue what you think this has to do with the vendor. We’re all stressed out but try to have some perspective.

People are likely dying where you are too.
Well, all the junk mail I endlessly throw out shows up with lighting speed. They're at least able to get that out of their hub.

If it's not on a truck tomorrow, I'm filing a CC dispute. This is unacceptable.

Listen, if Amazon can get a 35lb automotive part in a fairly oversized box to me in two days via the USPS, then there is zero excuse for it sitting where it is. I'll bet anything that box went through the same network hub, too. Ordered Monday, on the doorstep Wednesday.

I was at USPS this morning to mail something out and asked for help. "Can't help you." Let them fight it out with the vendor, I'm done.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

That sounds crazy.
eBay made me pay state sales tax on a Yamaha cs60 I bought in New Zealand and had shipped over ... so ... everything is taxed no matter where you get it from now
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

I can see tensions are running high. Please try and see the mad covid situation for what it is, to make us scared and angry (and so submit). I hear some States are now rejecting complusory wearing of "the mask" as they've realised it's a scare tactic (which is obvious anyway). Also the reporting of deaths from covis are been manipulated. So it can help to think in terms we are being subjected to a huge scam, that keeps me sane .

Any complaint can go to the local delivery people with the view to getting them to "wake up" but I suspect they won't (political). Blaming Thomann or DHL International are just the wrong people. If ya gonna shoot someone, make sure ya shoot the right guy! (clue BG)
Old 19th July 2020
Still not delivered.

Still sitting in a warehouse 20 miles away. No updates to the tracking, it's still "on it's way to the next facility", and the USPS has now marked the issue as "resolved". WTF.

I spoke with the CC company and they said it's my call. I'm leaving for 10 days, I'll deal with it when I get back. I want my money back if it's not here by then, I really couldn't care less WHO gives it back to me.

I really don't care at this point, ordering from Thomann has been an overall crappy experience. My advice to anyone in the US ordering from this outfit is to think twice, especially if your only choice of shipper is the USPS. UPS was not an option, I actually called Thomann the day I ordered it and asked.

"Thank you for taking the time to notify us of your experience. Your USPS® Service Request has been marked as resolved."

Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Yeh I know.. "..marked as issue resolved" it's just one of those "can't be bothered" responses some companies give out, overwhelmed staff unable to deal with the situation. It would make me see red too. It's still not Thomann's fault, it's a local politics problem. Making demands will only be a negative experience, causing bad vibes everywhere.

At least we fully understand your situation, I suspect most of us have had the same thing happen to us even without the corona/takeover mess going on. You might be right to leave it for a week or so, then re-establish the missing/undelivered parcel notice on the local courier. In that time they might have got through the millions of other boxes and finally got to yours.
Thomann may have the same situation going on with many other deliveries to the US too, or any country that acquiesce to this political takeover.
Old 20th July 2020
Curious how much this has to do with COVID and how much to do with D.T's actions taken / insistence on dismantling the USPS. Voting matters, people!
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

I think we're heading off into politics but... voting can be rigged so that process must be carefully inspected for truth. Be very sure about what is going on, lies and deception are rife, media spin and more deception. It's messy and very intense right now. It's always easy to think don't vote for Mr XYZ but we live in a two party state so if Mr XYZ doesn't get in, Mrs PQR does and that could be far worse. It's a matter of looking beyond the smoke and mirrors. I think whatever happens next will be not good for any of us mere mortals.

In the meantime, hug a synth.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear