The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb Increasing Selling Fees to 5%
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Reverb Increasing Selling Fees to 5%

Effective August 4th. Up from 3.5 , that’s not huge, but it’s not minor either.
Old 14th July 2020
Here for the gear
Zero competition so they can do whatever they like. Interesting to see what happens.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Reverb just upped it's take. Like you didnt know this would happen.

Beginning on August 4, 2020, we are increasing our selling fee for the first time ever⁠— from 3.5 % to 5%.

The thing that gets me, is the email title is, Growing Together

Because someone sitting in an office somewhere thinks that this will 'soften the blow' by using the word together, making it seem like Reverb is telling it's customers that we are all together. Oy.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Reverb Marketplace ups seller fees

Just got this email:

I’ve enjoyed buying and selling on Reverb very much but this sort of feels like the wrong time to announce a fee increase

To Our Community,

I’m writing to share upcoming changes that will enable us to significantly grow our marketplace so that we can help you reach even more buyers all over the world. Beginning on August 4, 2020, we are increasing our selling fee for the first time ever⁠— from 3.5 % to 5%.

When Reverb launched in 2013, the idea was simple—an online marketplace built specifically for the musical instrument community by a team of musicians. Our team thought about everything that we, as music makers, wanted in a site for selling gear and put it into Reverb: A live support team staffed with musicians, tailored tools to make things like price negotiation easier, a personalizable feed and useful content to help buyers find exactly what they want, and more.

Today, Reverb is the largest online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling musical instruments. In the past year alone, our community has achieved tremendous growth. More consumers are buying instruments than ever before, and players of all levels increasingly are buying gear online. As more buyers move online, we’ve heard you loud and clear: You want more support and more tools to help you get your gear in front of Reverb’s expanding audience of high-quality buyers and grow your sales.

We take the role that we play in supporting your business very seriously. Over the past seven years, our team has worked tirelessly to improve our marketplace to support your business and to find new ways to help you grow your sales. Now is the time to deepen our commitment to these efforts. We are modifying our selling fee to help us invest more to sustain our community’s continued growth. This year alone, we plan to increase our investment from 2019 by:
Investing over 30% more in marketing initiatives—including SEO, online video advertising, and other digital advertising—to get your inventory in front of more buyers from around the world.
Expanding by more than 25% the capacity of our global customer support team focused on assisting you and your buyers as we grow.
Increasing by more than 40% the capacity of our product team focused on creating and enhancing seller tools and services to increase the visibility of your shop and inventory.
Our team comes to work each day to ensure the success of our sellers—our marketplace simply doesn’t exist without the independent shops, makers, artists, experts, and individuals that form our vibrant seller community. These changes will enable us to bring more buyers to Reverb on your behalf, support the long-term health of your online business, and continue growing together.

Sincerely,
David Mandelbrot
CEO, Reverb
Old 14th July 2020
This plus the sales tax BS, plus the losses from sleazy sellers mislabeling the condition of items, items that get lost in shipping, etc etc It becomes less and less attractive a marketplace to save a few bucks.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

It was inevitable after Etsy bought them. Gotta maximize the return on their investment.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Addict

They must be feeling a big pinch with Ebay's £1 listings now

Need to reduce prices to bump economy at the mo, not raise things
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Guru

I get it. For them, the number of transactions is probably off, and the average selling prices are probably way off. Their nut is the same or higher. They've got one competitor who isn't very competitive. They now have a parent company that's probably hurting as well. I don't think they'd do it if they didn't think it was necessary, though; it's not like it's just because they can get away with it.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Nut

Just read the mail.
"Hey guys bussines has never been better so were gonna try to make it worse,for you offcourse! "

God i hope they regret this but in reality nothings gonna happen ,i wouldnt touch eBay if it were the last available thing to use.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Now is the worst time to squeeze people with higher fees. If anything, they should be dropping them to stimulate more transactions.
Old 14th July 2020
Here for the gear

unfortunate

unfortunate this is going the wrong way to incentivize selling. I'm having to raise my reduced prices to cover the difference. I've already been trying to drop them to move things as myself and others are all very tight right now.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Nut

Fortunately you continue to have the option to not use Reverb.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
I’ve enjoyed buying and selling on Reverb very much but this sort of feels like the wrong time to announce a fee increase
+1

As it happens I've got quite a few items listed on Reverb just now.

So to find out that now – of all times – they're increasing their selling fees, is disappointing to say the least.

In fact this feels like a kick in the teeth, given that I've been a responsible Reverb buyer & seller for years.

At the very least, the increase shouldn't apply to items already listed before this unwelcome announcement.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 14th July 2020 at 05:18 PM..
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

**** them. Seriously. Sell your stuff elsewhere.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Maniac
The thing that gets me is the doublespeak. Just say that due to economic circumstances the decision has been taken to up the price or whatever. Don't patronise me with bullsh!t about upping customer service. The service provided for me when needed was excellent in the past. It can only get worse, expecially with this lot at the wheel.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Ya, this is sad. Reverb was a pretty well oiled machine right before etsy bought them, they couldn't have screwed this up any more if they tried. Fees are ridiculous and their help staff are obviously not all musicians anymore. It's almost like they're tanking it on purpose, they must have some other idea up their sleeves...
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Great news for the Gearslutz Classifieds.

BYE BYE REVERB
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Sometimes I take that mentality and head to Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Dealing with people on CL/FB - and all the fake messages, scam attemtps - and the non-zero risk of getting robbed/killed and the haggling makes me give up and return to reverb. Basically I can sell something in two days on Reverb with zero hassle or spend a month on CL/FB hating my life in hopes of a few dollars more.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Greed. Just like eBay. They start out reasonable, then jack things up, again and again.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Addict

Between the fees raising and Reverb starting to charge State sales tax in the U.S. for all private sales (implemented last year as I recall?), it is going to hurt a lot of financially challenged musicians.

I think this is going to hurt Reverb's profits overall and is the wrong move to encourage more sales. Probably 95% of my gear has been used gear and I used to do a lot of buying/selling just to try things. Can't say I'm going to be doing much of that now.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Totally agree with the first sentence. I don’t know where else to sell, though. I’m pretty happy with what I have right now, so I’m hoping I don’t need to sell again in the foreseeable future.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Head
The biggest frustrations as a buyer on Reverb in 2020 has been the additional state sales tax (not their fault, obviously). I was in the market for an Xpander. While not cheap in its own right these days, the additional sales tax and shipping fees rounded it to the next thousand dollar pricing tier essentially.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Are there other sites that people use? Craigslist and eBay and forum classifieds I’m aware of. Are there any other sites that are similar to Reverb?
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Head

Very sad to see the decline begin post-acquisition by Etsy. I've really loved seeing Reverb grow over the years. I hope the founders got an amazing payday and are living comfortably near a beach somewhere. Just rough for the rest of us who now have to watch a great site fall into the cookie-cutter corporate greed pattern that seems to befall pretty much everything good.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Nut
I've sold a fair bit of stuff through Reverb in the past but screw them - 5% is taking the piss.

I'll be trying out FB marketplace and CL until I find a better replacement. I only have one synth listed for sale right now... I might just bite the bullet and put that one on eBay instead (even though I hate eBay).
Old 14th July 2020
Deleted a2500d9
This is bull. F reverb, such a shame to see the deterioration since Etsy took over.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Not happy about that bump at all. Between reverb/ebay (5%/?), paypal (3.5%), shipping costs (hugest chunk), state taxes (6.5%)... it adds up so much it's almost not worth the hassle. So many hands in the pie when it comes to musicians and their gear.

At least going direct person to person to other GS members cuts out a lot of the middle men. The few items I've sold here were direct pm requests. I'd rather sell that way and bypass the hassle of selling on reverb / ebay.

That said, anyone WTS a Kurzweil Mangler?
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
So many hands in the pie when it comes to musicians and their gear.
A perfect metaphor for the music industry too.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

LOL, I'll still take the 5% cut from Reverb than the 50% cut from Guitar Center
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Nut
Just terminated my listing on Reverb. Encourage others to do the same.
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear