The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'Techno School' - My thoughts
Old 12th July 2020
'Techno School' - My thoughts

Greetings to my fellow moaners in addition to the popcorn eaters who roll through here.

SUCCINCT VERSION:
There are some real shady people out there trying to con you in to giving them money. They are using a genre that I explicitly helped to build (Techno) and my advice is take that money and purchase some hardware as these Techno schools are pure scams IMO.

GORY DETAILS:
I will often join this bi-weekly Podcast these two young men (late 20's) do, simply as a voice to answer questions about how it was when the whole "EDM" scene kicked off back in the day. I agreed to join due to how shocking I find some of the misinformation out there. Absolutely shocking. It's something where normally I wouldn't even bat an eye, but there are people making cold hard cash off literally making things up.

It's kind of turned in to a bit where they like to get me riled up about certain things, but they respect I have no vested interest and thus no reason to sugar-coat anything. I am there to speak facts. One one show a few months ago they sent me about 10-15 videos of cats who break-down EDM genres, how/when it started, the style and hierarchy of each genre, etc,. Pure crap. So let's say I watched a total of 2.5 hours of "experts" laying it out for their followers....and 95% of it made absolutely no sense to me. But that's fine....they are either repeating inaccurate information they were given or (in some cases) simply making things up.I vowed to never watch another one of those videos as it really does both sadden and confuse me. When I was young I wasn't going around telling people that Woodstock took place in Canada, or Jimi Henrix started out in the Beatles, or the Doors started out as a Mariachi band, etc. If I didnt know it, I didn't speak on it. Simple ass..

HOWEVER, that was a different time, obviously. Meaning not anyone could jump on the mic and have a platform where they can easily control the narrative (such as the case today). So I guess I can understand the temptation of thee cats, and imagine we were doing unethical things back then, that the youth of today aren't. Who knows?

Anyway, Sunday I sensed something was up as the hosts seemed giddy with anticipation to my reaction on something.Then it came.They told me about, "Techno school" They offered to register me in an interactive one. I'll probably decline. I'm not trying to ambush anyone (I mean I will if given a reason) so I asked them to see about finding one where I'm happy to 'audit it' but damn sure not gonna pay a CENT (in fact I should be the one being paid if we wanna go there). As I looked in to this further, I don't think anyone should entertain this.

There are many things at play here, so I want to break down what I told them. Additionally, understand my intent is to empower anyone new to thsi, not to hurt anyones feelings. Just remember, at the end of the day I have no vested interest other than helping to educate others...where as some of thede entities I am speaking on have a clear vested interest of putting money in their pocket.

I'll start high-level, and get more granular.

1. If you feel the need to go to Techno school, I'd recommend you reconsider whatever it is you are wanting to accoplish because I don't think it's for you. I looked at one of these schools and a few things I noticed.
--The instructors are really young. No crime here, but one course was "the history and origins of techno music". So keep in mind you are paying for information that you can either easily obtain yourself, and/or is more likely than not completely inaccurate. I'm unsure why the history is really even relevant, but the is my opinion. What I'm confident we can all agree on is you would expect that history be accurate. Remember that it's incredibly easy for these folks to control the narrative. Thus when they are fact checked...no one will ever know (unless the fact-checker has a large platform himself).

--The instructors claim to be high-profile/experienced Techno DJs but having followers on YouTube (with only a few beats and the rest it selling how you can teach people) is not synonynmous with now, or in the past, ever being a factor in the world of Techno (as they allude). One guy's bio said he was "One of the World's most Sought After Techno artist." Really? I never heard of him. There is no music I of his I can find. It's merely words. Nothing more. You can also argue that just because one IS in "demand" or "sought after" that is not synonmous with experience of skill Case in point. I was a real factor in this genre. A day one guy. I explicily helped mold it in to what it became befoe it was even popular. I'm anything but 'sought after"

--In the two schools looked at, neither made use of any instrumnets! What this means to you people who are new...you won't be "playing" or "creating" techno music, instead you will be purchassing "midipacks" and adjusting them inside of the software you are using. Think in terms of vector imaging vs raster imaging. Raster imaging is much much much more popular but you can do more with vectors (including converting to raster) but not vise-versa. It's not a matter of hardware vs non-hardware it's instruments vs soundpacks.

--So now you aren't learning how to create Techno music, you are learning how to "Produce' techno music. It's not the same, but....it's Still pretty cool, eh?" Okay, let me lay it out for you. The art of production is no more. Back in the day we had "Producers" for one reason. We did not have the means to produce our music. And so we paid people that had the resources (studio, mixing equipment), and the knowledge of using that equipment. After a while we just paid for the equipment itself (as we had the knowledge) until today....anyone can "produce" any music. Just like we would take a roll of film to get developed, we no longer do need to so today. Anyone can develop film on their computer or phone.

So if you are honest with yourself, you are paying for something that virtually anyone can do...so are you paying for anything that will set you apart? I would assume that is the intent of the class. Otherwise, all you are truly learning is how to use a software application.

So on Sunday's show this led me in to filibustering how I feel that Techno music dying a slow, torturous death. I am going to write a separate post on this, but as a preview--I highly doubt the reason is germane just to Techno, but seeing as I can truly speak on Techno, that is what I use as my examples. Again, it's just fodder. My perspective. To that end, back in the day I would have guessed in the year 2020 very few people will have evan heard of Techno/Trance. So.....
Old 12th July 2020
I'm old and been making Techno way too long so please excuse my directness.

Firstly, chill. I've seen so much stuff come and go I just don't really pay attention anymore to people throwing around their egos, it'll happen over and over again whether you like it or not.

The Techno bandwagon has been used at least as long as three guys professed to have invented the whole genre in the 80s, when infact it (electronic 4/4 cyclic rhythms) can be quite clearly traced back at least as far as the 50s and I'm not even factoring rhythmic drumming to send people into a trance which probably pre-dates the naughties and Ableton.

Basically, the way I see it is people will try to capitalise on iconic things. Techno's underground credentials are clear and make it iconic, ergo people will try to label their stuff as Techno. People will get annoyed with it, other people will probably revel in making people annoyed by essentially trolling, it will eventually die away and leave us still doing what we do, making Techno music which will outlast way beyond all the vapid capitalist ****.

qUE
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear