The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How is this not criminal
Old 6th July 2020
  #31
Lives for gear
OK - criminal & cables - some years ago now, a friend invited me over to show off his new super hi-fi stereo system. It had everything, right down to speaker cables that were nested inside a grounded shield to protect from collecting noise. The cables alone were a thousand bucks. The whole system was over 10-grand. All this sold an unsuspecting 20-something kid, with not a word about room acoustics or treatment. He lived in a concrete & ceramic apartment. It was pitiful.
2
Share
Old 6th July 2020
  #32
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
It should not be outlawed. People should get a chance to buy what they want, even if you think it doesn’t make an iota of sense.

Some bureaucrat is going to try to outlaw analog gear because they can’t tell any difference and it serves the “public interest”. It’s a slippery slope.

Tubes are dangerous. Nitrocellulose is dangerous. That’s life. It can get to the point where life isn’t even worth living.
To be fair, I never meant it should be criminalized. It was a figure of speech. But still $42,000 for a pair of cables?

At least have the courage to announce that you’re unapologetically in the business of selling luxury cables even if they don’t hold up against the much much more affordable competition in a double blind ABX test.

But when a company says that their $6,861 USB cable “delivers awesome improvements in sound quality that simply cannot be achieved by mass produced machine-built cables“ then it’s borderline deceit. Or maybe I’m wrong.
4
Share
Old 6th July 2020
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr View Post
To be fair, I never meant it should be criminalized. It was a figure of speech. But still $42,000 for a pair of cables?

At least have the courage to announce that you’re unapologetically in the business of selling luxury cables even if they don’t hold up against the much much more affordable competition in a double blind ABX test.

But when a company says that their $6,861 USB cable “delivers awesome improvements in sound quality that simply cannot be achieved by mass produced machine-built cables“ then it’s borderline deceit. Or maybe I’m wrong.
Only a rich dummy would buy it. And lots of companies make stuff like that as a marketing gimmick. It hurts no one.

I can post a $10,000 used sock on ebay and get a ton of outrage.

I'm a bit protective of freedom and liberty.
1
Share
Old 6th July 2020
  #34
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr View Post
... when a company says that their $6,861 USB cable “delivers awesome improvements in sound quality that simply cannot be achieved by mass produced machine-built cables“ then it’s borderline deceit. Or maybe I’m wrong.
You're wrong; there's nothing "borderline" about it. It's a lie.
5
Share
Old 6th July 2020
  #35
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I'm a bit protective of freedom and liberty.
No I totally get that. But I would also cherish honesty in human interactions (business or personal). So in your case, if you’re not lying about the used sock then I would say more power to you.
Old 6th July 2020
  #36
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You're wrong; there's nothing "borderline" about it. It's a lie.
Yes. I was trying to be a little charitable. But we both know you’re right.
1
Share
Old 6th July 2020
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
"A second lease on life for your aging printer...your documents have never looked so good!"
LOL .... yeah exactly.

I mean this is a silver hand woven USB cable, the areas for improvement are not limited to only audio.

Think about all the USB devices you own that can benefit ....

I have on of those "executive desk" USB missile launchers and the little missile never ends up in the paper basket .... it just lacks accuracy.

This cable could be the answer!
3
Share
Old 6th July 2020
  #38
I helped a good friend work on a Doctor's audio system. He had speaker cables the size of my wrist and had $30,000 worth of speaker cables in his system. His listening room was all glass with a marble tile floor and an exposed wooden roof. His speaker were ALONs with six mid-range speakers, a woofer and a tweeter (see below). His complaint was that the system sounded too bright (gee I wonder why) so my friend and I went to the local Radio Shack, got some resistors and some caps and came back and "fixed" the problem. The Doctor was pleased and we spent less than $15.00 for both speakers. He decided later on that it was not what he wanted and spent $6500 for an automated equalizer. We came back took out the $15.00 modifications, he ran the EQ automation and was a happy camper. It just goes to show, I guess, that people want to spend money to get what they want.
Attached Thumbnails
How is this not criminal-alon.jpg  
4
Share
Old 3rd August 2020
  #39
Gear Nut
 

They are selling something else and use this as a front. Just an FYI
Old 3rd August 2020
  #40
Gear Nut
 

When you see absurdly overpriced items items either a typo or they’re selling something else illicitly
Old 4th August 2020
  #41
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
When you see absurdly overpriced items items either a typo or they’re selling something else illicitly
Or money laundering.
4
Share
Old 6th August 2020
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I helped a good friend work on a Doctor's audio system. He had speaker cables the size of my wrist and had $30,000 worth of speaker cables in his system. His listening room was all glass with a marble tile floor and an exposed wooden roof. His speaker were ALONs with six mid-range speakers, a woofer and a tweeter (see below). His complaint was that the system sounded too bright (gee I wonder why) so my friend and I went to the local Radio Shack, got some resistors and some caps and came back and "fixed" the problem. The Doctor was pleased and we spent less than $15.00 for both speakers. He decided later on that it was not what he wanted and spent $6500 for an automated equalizer. We came back took out the $15.00 modifications, he ran the EQ automation and was a happy camper. It just goes to show, I guess, that people want to spend money to get what they want.
You put the jankiest RC filter in this guy's 100k+ audiosystem and he was happy with the results?
Old 7th August 2020
  #43
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
If you really think crispier leading and trailing risetimes on your digital square waves keep your PLLs from working so hard, resulting in better sync, which takes the veil off the speakery devices, maybe add some analogue tube gates to your $20k USB cables?
Old 9th August 2020
  #44
Lives for gear
There's enough cod-science in this thread to keep anyone who wants to correct nonsense posts busy all day!

What with ordinary shielded cable not picking up stray magnetic fields (I should hope not - but hardly proof of quality!) and a new animal called an energy shell (possibly he meant an electron shell? Who knows!) and some nitwit convinced that in a digital signal the highs can go missing in poor cable (you just don't know where to start with that one!) it looks like 50% of the posters here need to go back and redo high school physics - and stay awake this time!
Old 13th August 2020
  #45
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
There's enough cod-science in this thread to keep anyone who wants to correct nonsense posts busy all day!

What with ordinary shielded cable not picking up stray magnetic fields (I should hope not - but hardly proof of quality!) and a new animal called an energy shell (possibly he meant an electron shell? Who knows!) and some nitwit convinced that in a digital signal the highs can go missing in poor cable (you just don't know where to start with that one!) it looks like 50% of the posters here need to go back and redo high school physics - and stay awake this time!
either you´ve been reading a different thread, or you are entirely unable to recognize sarcasm...

none of the people posting in this thread believe ANYTHING they might have posted, we are showing off the dumbest of the dumb / the meanest of rip-offs in this thread.

-> the stuff you take offense with are quotes we were making fun of
Old 13th August 2020
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
There's enough cod-science in this thread to keep anyone who wants to correct nonsense posts busy all day!

What with ordinary shielded cable not picking up stray magnetic fields (I should hope not - but hardly proof of quality!) and a new animal called an energy shell (possibly he meant an electron shell? Who knows!) and some nitwit convinced that in a digital signal the highs can go missing in poor cable (you just don't know where to start with that one!) it looks like 50% of the posters here need to go back and redo high school physics - and stay awake this time!
I'm so confused right now.
1
Share
Old 14th August 2020
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
There's enough cod-science in this thread to keep anyone who wants to correct nonsense posts busy all day!

What with ordinary shielded cable not picking up stray magnetic fields (I should hope not - but hardly proof of quality!) and a new animal called an energy shell (possibly he meant an electron shell? Who knows!) and some nitwit convinced that in a digital signal the highs can go missing in poor cable (you just don't know where to start with that one!) it looks like 50% of the posters here need to go back and redo high school physics - and stay awake this time!
Hey doofus...You need to go back to physics class....

When was the last time you looked at a physics book or took an electrical engineering course?

Energy levels, abbreviated as n, and electron shell or energy shells are one and the same thing. The two terms are interchangeable. There is no difference between them....

Do yourself a favor and Google "energy shell"... and see what comes up...
1
Share
Old 16th August 2020
  #48
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Energy levels, abbreviated as n, and electron shell or energy shells are one and the same thing. The two terms are interchangeable.
Electrons are what they contain. Energy is what they release or absorb. They are shells of electrons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Do yourself a favor and Google "energy shell"... and see what comes up...
The UK-based utility Shell Energy is all that comes up!

And for those of you out there playing 'The Home Game' - here is the potted version of what we are arguing about - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_shell

Just because you and a few others call it something, does not mean that it is correct. It is no more an 'energy shell' than gasoline is energy juice. It may be a cute name, but the name conflates two separate and different items - energy itself and the separate concept of the storage and transfer of energy.
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump