The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I the only one that's frustrated with the copyright office?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Am I the only one that's frustrated with the copyright office?

So, I submitted a copyright for a sound pack that I did WAY back in December of 2018. Just today I receive a denial notice stating that my sound recordings do not "contain sufficient sound recording authorship to be copyrightable." Never mind that, along with the sound pack, there was a complete song included.

Someone please help me understand this: So it took them a year and a half to come up with this?

Now, what's ironic is that I just signed into my online account for the first time in a while just yesterday and the submission was still pending. And today, magically they send me this letter.

I'm really starting to feel like this whole thing is a scam.

And yes, I submitted my copyright through copyright.gov and none of the countless other websites that will bilk your for top dollar to do the same thing you could do yourself by going to the aforementioned website.

BUT, HERE'S THE KICKER:

If I want to dispute the refusal, I have to pay $350 for my first reconsideration and $700 for my second reconsideration. And, of course I get no refund on the original $55 that I paid originally. So, just for them to possibly reconsider my refusal, I have to pay $350? Not even a free Mulligan? Or not even for a percentage of the cost of filing a new registration? Nope. Almost one thousand percent, sir. Come on...

And now, they've changed the amount of unpublished files that you can submit at one time to 20 and the price has gone up from $55 to $65.

There was another time years ago where I submitted a copyright in April of 2011 and did not receive a reply from them regarding an issue that they had with the submission until August of 2012. That time it was because I had some vocal phrases in some of my tracks, which led to my selecting "words" and "lyrics" as part of they copyrightable works. They wrote me to ask me to remove the references to "words" and "lyrics." I didn't even bother to reply.

Can someone please explain to me how this is not just a government sanctioned scam house? Please.

There has to be a better way than throwing money away and not knowing how it's going to end up until years later.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ever since Donald Passman released his book it seems people started copyrighting their music because "it's what your supposed to do". Out of the millions of copyrights that are filed each year, I would guess there are less than a thousand infringement cases filed.

And out of those thousand I would wager only a handful result in an legitimate judgement. (Typically famous artists from the 60s/70s/80s - Gaye, Petty)

I would say there are better things to invest your money in (like gear) if you are still at a point where it is cost prohibitive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Everytime I play a show in the US, I have to apply for a Visa that costs about 250, and their expedited Visa is 1300, so I feel your pain man. My fans ask, why aren't you playing there and there, well, it's because I can only do 1 offs due to demand and havent booked an actual tour yet, because there's not enough demand yet, it's frustrating, and on top of that, paying the IRS is a hassle from other countries, and they made my 5 dollar balance go to 77 very quickly. So yeah, all those things are 100% cash grabs man
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Harding View Post
Ever since Donald Passman released his book it seems people started copyrighting their music because "it's what your supposed to do". Out of the millions of copyrights that are filed each year, I would guess there are less than a thousand infringement cases filed.

And out of those thousand I would wager only a handful result in an legitimate judgement. (Typically famous artists from the 60s/70s/80s - Gaye, Petty)

I would say there are better things to invest your money in (like gear) if you are still at a point where it is cost prohibitive.
I've read his book multiple times and still got screwed a few times in the music industry, even with a manager and lawyers, so yeah, there's so many grey areas it's crazy. Feels like the wild west at times.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
I've read his book multiple times and still got screwed a few times in the music industry, even with a manager and lawyers, so yeah, there's so many grey areas it's crazy. Feels like the wild west at times.
The music industry is set up to screw over artists. Not everyone has your best interest in mind. Sometimes your manager might be trying to get over on you, then your lawyer, and then sometimes both of them together. Those who don’t have talent always try to find some way to get the rightful gains of the creator.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Harding View Post

You say that... but, even as a lowly independent producer, I’ve had my work co-opted by a major producer before. So, when you say that I shouldn’t take as many necessary precautions as possible to prevent my creations being utilized by others for their own financial gains, that point is lost on me.

Having a copyright basically gives you an “almost” declaratory judgment in the eyes of the government to that artistic work.

Also, I know that anything that you don’t legally protect for a nominal fee in the initial stages will cost you considerable amounts later on.

That kind of thinking is equivalent to advising someone not to hire a lawyer to read a contract before they sign it because at the moment of signing they’re broke and shouldn’t be worrying about money that could possibly come about later on. That oversight could cost millions.

And, yes, there may have been an uptick in folks copyrighting material since Passman’s book, but I can guarantee you that record companies already knew the value of a copyright way before that. Loss of the rights to artistic works new gear will not fix.

And, my issue isn’t only the cost prohibitiveness. It’s the entire process. To have to wait over almost two years to find out that your submission is denied, right after the library of congress has not only increased their prices but also the amount of material you can submit on one application is also kind of predatory while being a very inefficient process.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedial View Post
The music industry is set up to screw over artists. Not everyone has your best interest in mind. Sometimes your manager might be trying to get over on you, then your lawyer, and then sometimes both of them together. Those who don’t have talent always try to find some way to get the rightful gains of the creator.
Yeah for sure, the cash flow comes to me first then I distribute to my manager and lawyer, best way to do it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear