The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio rant
Old 1st June 2020
Here for the gear

Acustica Audio rant

warning, this is my personal opinion and experience. i expect this thread to be removed. but still, i think it is my right as an end user to express my personal opinion about a product. And since i don't get proper response from acustica support, well here i go..

it started out for me about 8 years ago, discovering the awesomeness of nebula. some really cool sounding eq's and stuff. bought N3. buggy gui, ok well they are still developping - give the guys some time. N3 occasional audio spike, ouch. well they are still improving the product. N3 sometimes giving a dc click and just going silent, ouch. hopefully they gonna fix it. bought some early aqua. buggy gui, ok they probably are going to fix it. give the guys some time.

in the end all this stuff never got fixed.

yesterday i want to install N3 on a new computer, no go. N3 still downloadable, but no way possible to register the plugin. sent a ticket to support, got an automatic answer that N3 is not supported anymore. mailed the guys i'm partly on older osx so cannot install N4. also told i don't expect them to support N3 but at least let users download a working copy. no answer.

so here i am, spent 500 bux on 3d party libraries, 150ish on neb3. 50 on an aqua. basically stuff that never worked 100% properly for me, and now i'm supposed to spend again to upgrade to something i cannot even run?

short story: i lost my faith in this company. shure they have some cool stuff, but honestly i'm completely fed up with this mentality and being threated like a friggin test animal - slash - cashcow. the only thing i can think about atm is that gross italian curseword... (the one that rhymes with your name Giancarlo)
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

That's brutal treatment. I mean, you paid for ME and still have the hardware to run it. In this case, you might be legit in looking for an unauthorized copy if there is one but unfortunately I think their protection has always been 100 recent proven, but I too may face this situation as I have been using N3 for years as well on Win 7.

I am going to hold out alap with win 7 and my setup.

But to me it is completely wrong for this company to refuse to allow you to use the software you paid for on the hardware you have that it works on.
Old 1st June 2020
Gear Maniac

This reminds me the recent polemic about Native Instrument who wanted to do the same with their old stuff.Totally unacceptable for the users.
Old 1st June 2020
Gear Maniac
Hopefully you backed up your old init files. If so, you should be able to get set up as outlined here -> Nebula must have and here -> Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 1st June 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispot View Post
warning, this is my personal opinion and experience. i expect this thread to be removed. but still, i think it is my right as an end user to express my personal opinion about a product. And since i don't get proper response from acustica support, well here i go..

it started out for me about 8 years ago, discovering the awesomeness of nebula. some really cool sounding eq's and stuff. bought N3. buggy gui, ok well they are still developping - give the guys some time. N3 occasional audio spike, ouch. well they are still improving the product. N3 sometimes giving a dc click and just going silent, ouch. hopefully they gonna fix it. bought some early aqua. buggy gui, ok they probably are going to fix it. give the guys some time.

yesterday i want to install N3 on a new computer, no go. N3 still downloadable, but no way possible to register the plugin. sent a ticket to support, got an automatic answer that N3 is not supported anymore. mailed the guys i'm partly on older osx so cannot install N4. also told i don't expect them to support N3 but at least let users download a working copy. no answer.

so here i am, spent 500 bux on 3d party libraries, 150ish on neb3. 50 on an aqua. basically stuff that never worked 100% properly for me, and now i'm supposed to spend again to upgrade to something i cannot even run?

short story: i lost my faith in this company. shure they have some cool stuff, but honestly i'm completely fed up with this mentality and being threated like a friggin test animal - slash - cashcow. the only thing i can think about atm is that gross italian curseword... (the one that rhymes with your name Giancarlo)
Similar experience to mine. I emailed them a second time - not easy when the site hides any contact details. Awful company.
Old 1st June 2020
Company Rep

Quote:

Hello @ ispot , Nebula3 has been discontinued long time ago, this is correct.
The EOL statement is on our website https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages...olete-products
If you kept your original files you can keep using it in your system until you upgrade or update because no new licenses are given.
Since N4 is not technically an update (it's more like a new product) and understanding we have a lot of Nebula 3 users (plus their libraries) that cant keep using it we are offering now and until June 12 an 80% discount on N4.

Best regards.
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Hello @ ispot , Nebula3 has been discontinued long time ago, this is correct.
The EOL statement is on our website https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages...olete-products
If you kept your original files you can keep using it in your system until you upgrade or update because no new licenses are given.
Since N4 is not technically an update (it's more like a new product) and understanding we have a lot of Nebula 3 users (plus their libraries) that cant keep using it we are offering now and until June 12 an 80% discount on N4.

Best regards.
unfortunately i did not check my acustica account last 2 years. so i did not have the chance to backup properly. i can't remember getting a mail about this backup thing. i just don't get it why you do not provide a working download of N3. telling me i should upgrade to N4 is just plain ignoring my problem (being partly on older os so i currently want to stay with N3) and confirming my sentiment about being a cashcow.

i can go on about other things regarding N4 : threatment of 3d party devs (i once proposed to sample stuff myself so could peek into the contracts), the promise of N4 being able to combine programs, stuff that constantly gets released with bugs... but it doesn't really matter, clearly i'm screwed. the most sad part is that they were really agressive against apple policies for years (which i can somewhat understand) but now they behave even worse themselves...

@ Mod s i totally understand you move this thread to the moan zone (i thought you were going to delete it) but since nobody reads this section... oh well i give up...

Last edited by ispot; 2nd June 2020 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: language
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac
So I buy the 'cheap' update to use the software I already bought - and the thing crashes Reaper at instantiation after the most convoluted installation process imaginable. It says there's a 'ser' file. But there isn't. Man, this is a dirty cash grab if ever I saw one.
Old 2nd June 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grame99 View Post
So I buy the 'cheap' update to use the software I already bought - and the thing crashes Reaper at instantiation after the most convoluted installation process imaginable. It says there's a 'ser' file. But there isn't. Man, this is a dirty cash grab if ever I saw one.

Install and Manage your products: https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages...-your-products

Getting started with Nebula: https://acusticaudio.freshdesk.com/s...ed-with-nebula

Both steps by step guides on how to install. If you have any issues, you can open a ticket to support and we help you out!
Old 2nd June 2020
Solid State Logic

Companies get slated for not providing updates to new OSes "fast enough".
Companies get slated for not maintaining compatible code with obsolete OSes.

Harsh crowd.

If you had it working on your old computer and then you changed to a new one this is not Acoustica's fault. Companies have limited resources, even bigger companies like SSL have limited resources, and to constantly maintain a codebase for every platform irrespective of age (and continued spend of the customer to justify the R&D) is nothing but a utopian pipedream I'm afraid.

Computers and software go out of date. Fact of life.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

A special thanks to Jim for his post, I really appreciate it.

The fact that a software stops working in a new operating system, and that in the meantime a company is selling an updated product, asking for a "fee" is probably the most common thing in the whole software landscape, and also the difference with the hardware world, since hardware does not receive an operating system update very often. However, when there is a concept of operating system to update, it happens also in the hardware world, for example I bought some applications on iPhone that I couldn't use anymore in new operating systems, or for which I had to pay quite high fees: an example for all is the TomTom application, that I bought for my ios 10 credo and that is currently available only as a monthly subscription (!!!) and that I assure you worked perfectly.
Our uploads are recoverable, but in some cases they may not work in the new operating systems. The custody of the keys is always an operation in charge of the customer, even if it happened that in the past, for long periods, we kept a backup on our site. It is not a guaranteed operation, for example when we changed the website we stopped maintaining the backup of old Nebula3 licenses. Once again, this is a very common operation: there are manufacturers of hardware protection keys that sometimes do not guarantee the possession of the softwre in case of breakage, I hope that the customer will always take care of a backup at least of the licenses.

As for compatibility with the past and free upgrades, I would say that we are one of the companies that usually do not ask for surcharges and try to make things work. Our only exceptions are a dozen or so very old products (the first water plugins, but maybe they are much less than 10) and of course nebula3, which after 10 years since its release has been replaced by N4 which retired it. One of the accusations we received was not offering an upgrade path for the old users: but not even to do it on purpose, right now N4 is in its lowest price ever, surely more advantageous than any software update plan I've ever seen. Usually it costs 400 euros, at this moment it costs less than 80, that is it costs as much as nebula3 cost about 13 years ago (because all the other versions of nebula have been sold at a higher price). For me this price reflects the price of a reasonable update, for a person who uses the software and wants to switch to a new operating system. I understand that in all other cases we have offered a free upgrade, but in the specific case of Nebula we have to make some special considerations that I will list below.
I would have understood the "rant" in the moment of higher price, not now.

Just on the occasion of this last deal we saw some criticism from some users, who would have preferred a free update, or even a free product, or an opensource product, or a product maintained indefinitely on each operating system, or access our code to write their version, or have the right to merge all the previous things, or with a product that respects compatibility indefinitely. The lucky visitors of our Facebook group have already been able to read some of my answers on the subject, I report here my thoughts for more clarity towards those who did not have access to the original nightly blog.

DESCRIPTION OF THE Nebula PROJECT:

Let's start first of all with the description of the Nebula project. Nebula was born as a commercial product in 2007, the year in which we released a poorly parameterizable plugin and a commercial library that was supposed to provide a sort of example of the project's potential. At that time we didn't believe much in continuing the project with our own strengths, or transforming the company, Acustica Audio from a startup to a company with full-time employees.

The project had two years of research and development behind it, and was largely a project that didn't follow a paper or an external research project, apart from a few research papers it followed its own completely proprietary design and development strand. The first version was also very "peculiar", not very standard and not in line with the literature.

I wrote the code completely by myself, for a period of time going from mid-2005 to about 2012, and then from 2014 to 2020. Even today I am still in charge of the engine, I am the person who still maintains the core, which is shared in all projects of Acustica Audio. In fact, to be precise there is a unique code used in all our products: Nat (the sampler), Acqua (all Acqua products), Nebula engines (so the core of N4, N3, Acqua libraries), and Modula.

There are two considerations to make, based on a very powerful analogy:

- Writing an engine allows you to delegate the bug-fixing operation to the creators of the libraries (Nebula, Acqua plugins); in fact, progressively the engines become more stable while the parameterization becomes the point where you have to correct errors. Imagine the engine as the engine of a video game, for example, Unreal. The engine can be more or less stable, run more or less well, but the game is parameterized on the outside. In case of problems the problems will very often be handled in the external parameterization, in the real game., also because the engine will behave like a framework that can perform operations (such as rendering the scene), but what to parameterize is chosen by the company that builds the real game by parameterizing the engine. The analogy remains with Nebula or Acqua products.

- What I've done over the years is to open the development framework accompanying automatic tools that through a template mechanism build the objects to feed the engine. Exactly as for a graphics engine, the external developer can parameterize the graphics, for example creating geometries and mapping textures, in short, builds the game. In Nebula, you do the same thing.

There are some considerations, however, that describe the limit with the previous analogy:

- The video game market is an enormously large market, while the audio market is a niche. While there are many video game engines, there are not many projects like Nebula. Graphics engines are also proprietary, i.e. they are hardly opensource, or opensource versions are released much later than the version that is used for commercial purposes.

- What Nebula does is very specific, it's the result of years of tricks and implementations, so it's very difficult to build an engine that can emulate or copy its operation. This is a very different situation compared to videogame engines, for which the way is traced by the instructions provided by the graphics cards: in the end, all graphics engines do similar operations, in a similar way, leading to a similar result.

I would like to start stopping on this first consideration because I think it is the fundamental step.

On the one hand, videogame engines are few, and despite the size of the market, few have opensource features. Moreover, they would have a market to support themselves, even as opensource.

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE, PROJECT MANAGEMENT AS AN OPENSOURCE PROJECT:

In our case, instead, distributing our code as opensource would correspond to giving up ALL my work for very little economic return. On the contrary, this work today allows you to invest, to have a company, to create products, to survive in the market. It would be different if we had no competitors, but in a crowded market like plugins every little advantage leads to survival, and every little disadvantage leads to the death of companies. Sure, I could have decided to leave everything in opensource a long time ago, but even this would have decreed the death of products: an unmaintained platform in a niche market (where there are few maintenance proposals) survives a few years. At the first change of operating system, if there are no developers ready to develop a solution, the code simply becomes obsolete. In a larger market, there would be more developers, more interest, and probably the survival of the project would be likely, but not here, it will never happen.

During all these years I have received many suggestions to bring Nebula to an opensource project, but here comes the problem: to handle the increasing complexity in projects ALL the code written for my company is practically inside Nebula. Bringing Nebula to opensource projects would mean taking my company, all the know-how, all the developments paid with my money, my time, my work, and distribute it to everyone. I would do it if I didn't have a conflict of interest: to do the shopping and fill the fridge. Probably if I was rich, without having to work and support the family I would have done it. And would you? Think about it: you have a system that allows you to earn money, would you distribute it to others to start from scratch in some other field?

Besides, as I said before, creating an open-source project is not enough. You need to maintain it. In my experience, I have seen that all unmaintained projects fail. And in audio, an area that is notoriously a niche, this is very likely.

- Someone over time has proposed to me to gain a part of the code while a part of the code is distributed: you need numbers, you need interest! If you check the opensource audio projects you will see that the number of contributors is extremely low, and they are all unwilling to pay for something. The most used library, Juce, costs "only 1000" euros and is considered an astronomical price for many developers!

- When someone suggests me to create something "for the opensource market", the first thing I have to answer is "sure, you start first!

- Even the idea of reconstructing a project of this size, making it sound exactly the same Nebula is absolutely impossible. You can rebuild something, but it's very difficult to rebuild the project (someone suggested: others will rebuild the project from scratch, just a bit of money is enough!). The compilation folder is currently about 30 Gigabytes, and the project is literally thousands of files, written over the years, with thousands of exceptions. The operations that are performed are poorly documented. I see more likely to build an engine based on a completely different approach, for example, Deep Learning, but it would have nothing to do with that, in short, it would have other libraries, other developers, and so on. It will sound different. And I doubt you'll ever see a project like this "opensource": you have to find a fool who works for free for years and already has a form of financial support, and does it with the idea of maintaining it for life, without help, to the point of nausea.

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO, COMPATIBILITY MANAGEMENT.

One of the most heated criticisms we receive concerns the backward compatibility of the products.

So let us make two fundamental points clear at once:

- Writing a single piece of code for all our products is not a choice but a necessity. Especially at the beginning, I was alone, and I couldn't afford to handle too many different things

- In the software field, "branches", i.e. several product versions with independent developments, can be maintained. For the sanity of the single developer, it is possible to maintain multiple versions of the same code for a limited amount of time, after which his sanity is at risk. A branch-based process is more suitable for large software with a very large number of contributors. In fact, each one manages a version, compiles it, performs evolutionary maintenance, and bug fixing.

Here is the answer to frequently asked questions on this subject.

- where did Nebula3's code go?

"There it is! It's the code for Nebula4." There is no code for Nebula2, Nebula3, Nat, or Acqua. It's a unique code, which is continuously maintained and undergoes a process of evolution, maintenance. Nebula4 also has a different workflow but inside it even the graphics of Nebula3 in a dormant form (we created an addon some time ago)

- how do you manage backward compatibility?

Doing it with 100% mathematical certainty is impossible. I always try to build new "tags", new commands, trying not to modify the old ones. Unfortunately, an engine that has undergone 15 years (FIFTEEN YEARS) of maintenance and development, as good as I can be, will have some points of incompatibility with the past. Sooner or later there will always be a bugfix, a structural modification that will prevent me from being perfectly compatible, even in a nonvoluntary way. For those who know a bit about programming, sometimes we are convinced to make a change that does not generate consequences, and then we discover that the consequence exists, but it is too late. For example, we realize that there is a problem a few years later. The code is written by humans, not machines, and I among humans

I'm also quite imperfect. As much as I try not to create problems sooner or later something will go wrong, I'm sorry.

- Then can I keep using the old Nebula executable I had in my drawer?

You may do so at your own risk. The question reminds me of people who want to stay stuck with old and obsolete hardware, and the first time they have to upgrade their recording studio they find out that they can't keep using some things anymore. For example, I had an analog studio based on a computer that is no longer upgradeable. All the peripherals from that period are no longer available (including the SCSI connection to the samplers), which means that when I upgrade the computers if it's something I do every 20 years I'll have to throw everything away and start over. And so it was in my case.

Let's come to the operating systems: since I wrote the first line of Nebula2, 9 Apple operating systems have passed and I don't know how many Windows releases (I don't know because the same Windows 10 continues to update automatically and I can't count the intermediate releases, but only they will be at least 5 or 6). The code before was 32 bits, based on Carbon. The AU version was very different from the current one. Staying in the past will mean losing everything sooner or later, it is much better to try to "pass" to the new solution. For example, we discovered that the old Nebula3 authorization mechanism often doesn't work anymore in some operating systems. I can give dozens of examples, but one thing is certain: the software is constantly changing and those who stop are lost. It is enough that a software house decides not to update the software to the new operating systems and that software will die.

- Is it possible that Nebula3 and Nebula4 behave differently?

The real question is "which version of Nebula3 and which version of Nebula4". For what I wrote above, I have made 3445 releases in all these years (not all of them available to the public, but believe me, they all ended up in beta testing). There is no "one" version of Nebula3. There is no "one" version of Nebula4. There is the same code, maintained over time that has undergone variations. Every time I have done everything possible to ensure compatibility with the past, but this has not always been possible.

You can also anchor to a specific version to have 100% compatibility with that specific version, and you run the risk of losing everything when you can no longer install it. No one on this planet will be able to fix it, not even I who wrote the code.

- why don't you release a version of Nebula for the community'?

The real question would be "how so"? The community Nebula version is the current version. Should I release an old version that I don't have a chance at? And which one exactly?

- Why isn't the Nebula free?

Because I have to support my family, and I've worked to build what exists today. If you want to convince me, you must first convince Ubisoft to release a completely free version of Unreal. Or Microsoft to release a free and opensource Windows version. Or you write it yourself.

- You should release it for the community because it needs it

What should I release, an unmaintained code from the past that won't work in the new operating systems? And what will happen when it stops working in one operating system or another? Don't you think it should be maintained? And I can only maintain one version of code, the last one.

- You should distribute the current code to everyone

First, you have to convince Waves or Fabfilter to distribute their code to everyone. I would like to recompile L2 or Pro-Q, make some changes and resell it!

- You should distribute the latest version of Nebula to everyone, for free

We're doing it and it's called the N4 player. Clearly, for the reasons explained in some previous posts, not all developers want to join the new Marketplace and so we are in a strange situation. On the one hand, people want a "maintained" version, on the other hand, we should do this maintenance with our money to guarantee this situation. And what do I pay people working in my company with? We're about 20 or so people and they all have families. Everything has to be justified, every effort has to be rewarded because people's work has to be paid for. That's why there is a paid version of N4 and developers who don't join our marketplace don't have access to documentation on recent developments.

- Fix the reported problems too slowly, I've been waiting two years for this fix

I have good news if you are good at programming and want to take a trip to Italy I can hire you and check your programming speed with the rest of the team! If you're interested in coming to Italy, coming to Lodi and if you're a good programmer, we can discuss your salary and get you on the staff. The pay won't be very high at first, but we had to earn a decent salary at first, then things will get better with time. Don't take everything for granted, you have to pay us a little bit and prove that you are good, then we will recognize it and reward you proportionally.

- You should hire XXX! He's better than you!

We entrust consulting projects to everyone, and we pay everyone on a regular basis. Currently, we also rely on very good external consultants, one example is Stefano. If someone wants to apply, there is no problem. The code programming work takes place exclusively in Lodi, but the consulting work (sampling, sample arrangement) can be done remotely. Tell us your hourly rate and we will tell you if we are interested. Don't send requests to me, but through official channels, we always analyze CVs and usually respond to everyone. Remember that you have to attend our annual workshop beforehand (because Covid19 has been postponed). For those who are already capable we can assess the situation differently. It is obviously necessary to temporarily stop developing and selling libraries for our platforms, so as not to create a conflict of interest. However, we can discuss this, anything can be agreed upon.

Also here on gearslutz I recently replied to a user who was wondering about our pricing policy on the recent N4.

For us the real product is N4, a free player, with which to run the acqua libraries

The only reason there is a paid version of N4 is to support the old library with a new and updated version (example that works on catalina). In our experience ALL these interventions are crucial: operating systems are changing quickly and for example mac side the survival of nebula already depends exclusively on our releases and updates. It's partially happening also in windows, where the old authorization system is stopping working (for your curiosity, also some obsolete compilers we were using for some versions of Nebula are stopping working, for example borland c++: yesterday I updated windows to version 2019 and it doesn't start anymore). This is the reason why N4 today is compiled exclusively with the latest compilers, xCode 10 and Visualstudio 2019/2017 and takes into account the continuous changes that are required from developers, for example Apple's policy. And I'm talking about this not to mention some formats like VST3, which have become mandatory (nebula was a VST2 product and they are gradually removing support and discouraging it). For example, we spent a few weeks in contact with Steinberg to deal with some VST3 issues.
The reason why it is paid for is to cover the costs on this side, since developers that need to be supported on the N4 side do not pay royalties.
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac
This is a straw man argument: nobody's expecting perpetual support - just the chance to access their account and get the last working installation.

Is that so much to ask?

Audio software suppliers are more like consumer shop-window assaults than providers of simple-to-install software. I just want to download what I paid for and install it. Simples. Yet I have to log-in to download a file that installs a downloader that's entirely focused on delivering my eyeballs to products. And singularly incapable of installing correctly the thing I bought.

Someone's obviously making a lot of cash from this Acqua plug-in stuff. Cutting and pasting screeds of corporate PR justification is pointless and distracting - perhaps deliberately so.

So. I paid my £70. I push through the labyrinth of AA's badly explained installation and set-up procedure, I waste hours, I give up and submit a support request, and wait. Oddly, the PR response team here are way more proactive than the support team. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 2nd June 2020
Solid State Logic

Buggy software is not my fight.
People thinking that buying software once means you own it forever is. It isn’t free, it has costs. The above incredibly detailed answer sets out the challenge that developers face every day. Forgive my honesty and directness but maintaining software for obsolete OSes is either a route to commercial disaster or a privilege of market dominance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Buggy software is not my fight.
People thinking that buying software once means you own it forever is. It isn’t free, it has costs. The above incredibly detailed answer sets out the challenge that developers face every day. Forgive my honesty and directness but maintaining software for obsolete OSes is either a route to commercial disaster or a privilege of market dominance.
Again, you choose either to wilfully ignore my point or can genuinely not see it - both are worrying.

Allow me to reiterate a third time: I am not expecting software to forever be supported. Merely that if, for the sake of illustration, I bought X under iteration Y of operating system, I can at a later date still access X to run under Y. This seems merely courteous. People get resentful and cynical when X is withheld, presumably in order to get you to hand over the cash for X2. This has happened to me several times. and leaves a foul taste in the mouth.

I won't bring up the ongoing farce of my upgrade - no need to embarrass parties concerned.

But it is nice to see the manufacturer of some of the hardware that AA use for their software convolution imaging leaping to their defence!
Old 4 weeks ago
Solid State Logic

Man runs obsolete OS
Man has ample opportunity to backup/download his auth keys to guarantee eternal running, doesn’t do it.
Man then implies everyone has a commercial interest in it and blames everyone but himself.

In your terms X could work with Y at any point had you have downloaded and backed up your keys yourself.

Wrong on 3 points.
Roll a 6 to start again.

Not my fight. No more from me here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll keep this thread in mind, maybe even print it out on paper, before making future purchases.

All the man wants is the last N3 installer that worked with his operating system and a serial number that he spent $150 on which never worked perfectly, ever. Why is that too much to ask?
Old 4 weeks ago
Solid State Logic

Quote:
unfortunately i did not check my acustica account last 2 years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah...and? There are video games I don't touch for a decade. They still work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Companies get slated for not providing updates to new OSes "fast enough".
Companies get slated for not maintaining compatible code with obsolete OSes.

Harsh crowd.

If you had it working on your old computer and then you changed to a new one this is not Acoustica's fault. Companies have limited resources, even bigger companies like SSL have limited resources, and to constantly maintain a codebase for every platform irrespective of age (and continued spend of the customer to justify the R&D) is nothing but a utopian pipedream I'm afraid.

Computers and software go out of date. Fact of life.
i think you miss my point. as i said earlier, i don't expect them to update N3. i don't expect them to maintain that codebase. i just want to be able to download a working copy. in fact there is still a download available in the download section. there is also a tab to upload the .ser, but it doesn't work. so to me it seems they didn't seem to bother to implement it in their new website.

i completely understand the lifecycle of software and os's, but a lot of other companies at least give the user a chance to download legacy installers. and it is not uncommon to see studios running older os's. if it doesn't break you know...

Last edited by ispot; 4 weeks ago at 11:52 AM.. Reason: language
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Man runs obsolete OS
Man has ample opportunity to backup/download his auth keys to guarantee eternal running, doesn’t do it.
Man then implies everyone has a commercial interest in it and blames everyone but himself.

In your terms X could work with Y at any point had you have downloaded and backed up your keys yourself.

Wrong on 3 points.
Roll a 6 to start again.

Not my fight. No more from me here.
as i stated earlier, i cannot remember getting an email about this. and sorry but you cannot expect a user to check every plugin manufacturers' website at least monthly just to be shure he is aware about them abandonning stuff.

also for me its not only about this N3 download thing (this was the drop in the bucket for me), but also about the general company vision. and i bet you can find quite some users that will share my opinion.

frankly i never understood they even could patent dynamic FFT. imagine altiverb having a patent on non dynamic impulses. in my opinion the tech part should've been open sourced or GPL'd or whatever, and then they could spend all their energy on good commercial acqua stuff. but yeah, then you risk that somebody else makes a better dynamic fft plugin..

this is my opinion, feel free to have yours of course. i admit i was pissed of but life's too short. so time for me to let this one go i think...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear