The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Sadness
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Universal Audio Sadness

Hi guys, I wanted to reach out to see if anybody else has ever had issues with UAD support.

I kept getting a busy tone while trying phone support so I gave it a go via email.

There, I shared that after 1.5 years, my Apollo interface had died and can no longer turn on. Due to COVID, they referred me to a local shop for repairs. But they also said that even under pre-COVID circumstances, I’d have to bear the cost of the repair and that “*Even Ferrari’s need to get [serviced] after some time.”

I just didn’t think that time would be 1.5 years. And I didn’t expect this level of disappointing support. Local shop quoted me at a few hundred dollars so that’s where I’m at.

First time I’ve had my interface die on me. Is this to be expected with UA, and any other company that sells audio interfaces?

Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Most warranties are for less than a year. After that time period (check your warranty document for details) it is your responsibility to get the item repaired. After the warranty lapses on your car you have to pay for repairs..same idea. Everyone is struggling to provide service during the pandemic. One of my best friends owns an electronics repair shop and his business was deemed non essential so he is closed for the foreseeable future. His clients are not pleased but there is not much he can do about it. It maybe the same for UAD's repair department.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That sucks.

Chock it up to bad luck.

I've always had a great experience with UA and their stuff is typically well built. Sorry that luck was not on your side this time. It happens.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UADuser View Post

I just didn’t think that time would be 1.5 years. And I didn’t expect this level of disappointing support. Local shop quoted me at a few hundred dollars so that’s where I’m at.

Cheers.
Feel good you got 1 1/2 years. I purchased an Alesis Strike kit for my small studio.

Did 2 albums with a total of 32 hours on the kit and it is a piece of junk. Nothing triggers correctly and the cymbals have to be hit with a hammer to get any response.

Biggest waste of money I ever spent. Even after calling Alesis and complaining about the quality of the product not one Alesis person ever contacted to see what was specifically wrong or had happened to the kit.

No more Alesis for me. Sorry to rant but this has become a sore point for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sorry for you, UADuser. And no, I don't think that is normal to have to spend several hundred dollars for a repair after just one year and a half of use. Especially when seeing the price of their stuff... By the way, which model is it ?

Maybe I've been lucky until now, but I had once a E-Mu 1820m (purchased for 400 € with EMulator X sampler included) that lasted me 9 years, being used each and every day. I've been so pleased with it that I bought, as a replacement the 1616m. This one lasted a little less : 7 years, until the whole MIDI section started to make ghost notes, erratic durations, wrong pitches, etc...

As E-Mu has been carefully killed by Creative through all those years, there were no more drivers updates for an eventual E-Mu branded replacement. So I went for an RME one (a Fireface UCX) two years and a half ago, which is also used on a daily basis, since : hardware seems built in a rock (I wouldn't say the same thing for TotalMix, though...). And my sampler is still EMulator X3...

This to say that your misadventure smells like planned obsolescence...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
Feel good you got 1 1/2 years. I purchased an Alesis Strike kit for my small studio.

Did 2 albums with a total of 32 hours on the kit and it is a piece of junk. Nothing triggers correctly and the cymbals have to be hit with a hammer to get any response.

Biggest waste of money I ever spent. Even after calling Alesis and complaining about the quality of the product not one Alesis person ever contacted to see what was specifically wrong or had happened to the kit.

No more Alesis for me. Sorry to rant but this has become a sore point for me.
If it’s less than a year old, you should just take it back to the shop you bought it from.

If it’s over a year old...same situation unfortunately. Out of warranty repair.

I don’t know about the Alesis kit, but seems like the OP is just unlucky with his UAD box. Which happens, but it’s not usual.

It might just be the power supply. I had a power supply for an accelerator box die on me (I had spare supplies so could isolate the issue). In fact, if it has a wall wart and it’s not turning on at all, that’s the most likely fault. Any chance the OP can find a friend with the same supply to isolate and/or check his power supply?

Failing that, a multimeter should be able to check the supply - if it has one.

If so, it’s like a $30 fix.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm still running my E-MU 1820M with windows 10 and Cubase 8.5./ 64bit. Works like a charm, since 2005. Best interface ever made! In terms of features it smashes quite a few modern interfaces. E-MU and creative, outstanding guys!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search