The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crazy Copyright Story
Old 4 weeks ago
Crazy Copyright Story

First, the succinct version is we understand print and tv/radio media laws quite well. Very well in fact. However, I have not followed governing bodies with respect to Copyright laws and the information Super Highway. [psst. I come from the days of Napster when we had mad music for free....so I give all my sh*t away for free..and trust me, this will begin to really be leveraged in the next 12-18 months.

To that end, I received a copyright warning for my own work. Turns out someone
took it upon themselves to capture of a 50 second clip of my beat (one I made a while back on my Model D, JD-XA, and DJX-1. I remixed part of that song on a recent beat and got the warning.

At first I thought it was due to a sound-byte, as I'll often use a 5-12 second interview or movie sound-byte...but this was a whole 50 seconds of my beat. Ha ha.

I looked up the guy, and he even called the beat the same just re-arranged the words. It looks like ha copyrighted it.

So, here is my take. I give my stuff away for free for people to do anything they want, with the exception of suppress anyone else from doing the same...especially ME!

So, I wrote to the social media platform and let them know (they said my "appeal" would go to the copyright owner and I asked him to come correct.

I'm sure one or more of you pro musicians can assist here? Is there a disclaimer I should put that prevents others from copyrighting my music just because I haven't? Thx

p.s. I'm waiting to see the outcome and if dude doesn't come correct I'll post the song all over here so people know what he's doing because that's just wrong.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No copyright expert by any means. I think one of the Creative Commons licenses would do what you wish. Keep your music free, while keeping someone else from copyrighting was is yours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

https://creativecommons.org/about/
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
No copyright expert by any means. I think one of the Creative Commons licenses would do what you wish. Keep your music free, while keeping someone else from copyrighting was is yours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

https://creativecommons.org/about/
The US courts don't give such a registration the same consideration they do a valid US Copyright Office registration -- but the artist IS, technically speaking, protected by copyright from the time of declaration. Copyright declaration, even with a 'non-official' entity like Creative Commons licensing, makes your claim to your own work explicit and provides clarity to those going forward.

The CC copyright has several qualification tiers that expressly grant or deny rights to copy/modify/distribute the work per the desires of the creator.

Using Creative Commons doesn't carry the weight of an official government copyright office registration, but it is a legal declaration that makes the creator's intent explicit when he releases a work publicly and, in lieu of more formal declarations, may be given appropriate weight in a copyright action.

FWIW, when I write a new song, I typically record a version of it and upload that to the Internet Archive (Archive.org) with an appropriate creative commons copyright. It's NOT like a Copyright Office registration, but it's a declaration of creator intent and, as a dated entry on a publicly maintained server, there's reason to believe a court might respect its evidentiary nature.

(It's worth noting that even IF another entity registers a copyright for a work YOU have created -- but you have not registered the work -- you STILL have a window during which your work can be registered and such a registration can be weighed to varying extent when adjudicating the case.)

[Full disclosure: I'm no lawyer, though I've watched a lot of Perry Mason reruns, almost none of which dealt with copyright issues.]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search