The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just had a person talk me out of a gear sale
Old 4 weeks ago
Just had a person talk me out of a gear sale

I was looking at some cheap mics to do some mods to as a way to kill my boredom. There are a couple Apex 480s on eBay for less than $100 bucks. One is $90+$50 shipping, one is $80+20 shipping. The catch is the latter one is untested. I was messaging the seller, who can't test it.

They said they almost had a local sale but the buyer didn't buy it because it didn't work through their amp. So I explained to them that it's a condenser mic which requires 48v so it won't work through somebody's guitar/bass amp (unless said amp can supply 48v DC), so it might not be broken. They're response was that the other person seemed really well informed so they probably new what they were doing.

Part of the reason I decided not to buy was because it's already really expensive for a possibly broken Apex microphone, but also (and this is kind of petty on my part) I felt pretty insulted that they brushed of my helpful explanation about why it wouldn't work through some guy's amp even if it were a working mic. I was already on the fence since it's expensive given it's untested, and the seller doesn't seem to sell audio gear (seems like it's just a personal eBay account where they sell stuff they have lying around), and their response implying that some random guy who probably plugged a true condenser mic into an amp with an XLR to 1/4" knows more than me (all of my sales on eBay are audio gear), I decided I didn't want to take the gamble.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search