The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is trying to promote yourself on social media a waste of time?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Some people are very good at making music, and very bad at promoting themselves.

Some folks aren't all that good at making music, but they're damn good at promoting themselves.

This has always been the case.

It really doesn't matter about the "social media" element here:

The bottom line is that you may be very good at making music, and suck at promotion.

If this is true for you, then get somebody who's good at promotion (and let THEM worry about what kinda media to use).
Not disagreeing here at all. But the subject of "gatekeepers" are often brougt up as what used to be quality control, labels.
Now the gatekeeper seems to be online promotion, at least for pop music. We have "pop icons" that music is just ONE facet of their career and fame, and not even number 1 or 2 on the list. Their career IS fame.
So if you are headed in that direction, no I wouldn't say a one-person organization is going to get there. You need connections and resources- collab with other established producers and people that specialize in other areas. Build relationships with those that are where you want to be. The ideal situation is you have creative control, yet are not doing it all yourself.
The bottom line: commercial success depends on how much money OTHER people can make from you.
Have the talent, be pretty, sure, but I think you got to have that incessant, unquenchable capitalist thirst and hustle. This also includes street hustle. When you get a million views, eventually people will want to dive deeper into your game.
No, online promotion in this case is not a waste of time, it is a prerequisite, the bare minimum.

But not every artist needs to be commercially successful to acheive success. These days, it appears to me that a business minded person could just as well learn to produce music and sell, compared to a typical musician getting into marketing and promotion.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifryer View Post
Your music is sick AF but its not in style yet.
I don't want to put denstrow down but I would say it isn't in style any more. It sounds pretty old school. Of course there is nothing wrong with that if that is what he likes making but it isn't up to date for the genre. And to be successful with that kind of music, the production needs to be quite a bit tighter IMO.

Alistair
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I don't want to put denstrow down but I would say it isn't in style any more. It sounds pretty old school. Of course there is nothing wrong with that if that is what he likes making but it isn't up to date for the genre. And to be successful with that kind of music, the production needs to be quite a bit tighter IMO.

Alistair
No arguments from me here. I am a bit of an old fart (38 y.o.), and not actively following many trends. I find more inspiration in older electronic/dance music for example, because it used to be new, exciting and people would try more different things, as some genres hadn't become formulaic yet (plus nostalgia, obviously). Production may be a lot better nowadays, but musically speaking, that's debatable.

As for production, it's a learning game; I prefer to compare to my older self - I'm better at it than I was some years ago, but like all of us, I keep learning and (hopefully) getting better. I listen to newer stuff to compare, but don't get down just because I might not be up to par. It takes time.

That said, I grew up with a lot of indie, DIY, experimental stuff, and 90s dance music, plus various genres and subgenres, and I've heard -and loved- all sorts of things regardless of production values - and I believe there's plenty of people that think that way. I'd take The Residents (even early stuff) and 80s TV Personalities over pretty much anything, for instance. Musicality for me trumps production, even if (here being Gearslutz, of course) some people might disagree.

Again, it's not fame and glory I'm after, just a small audience, one I can interact with, and to have a few gigs and laughs.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by denstrow View Post
No arguments from me here. I am a bit of an old fart (38 y.o.)

Again, it's not fame and glory I'm after, just a small audience, one I can interact with, and to have a few gigs and laughs.
Ah ok then make music for fun and keep your day job then. My cousins in Greece (Crete) are musicians; they play traditional music all night, have fun, drink, get a small paycheque and get to do it again the next day, and that's fine.

I find musical taste isnt that important if you're building a legit career. I used to be in screamo bands, I used to listen to Limp Bizkit so much, Nu Metal, all that stuff. Went to the concerts etc. And I listen to the Nu Metal Generation playlist on Spotify once in a while when I play video games. It's a fun playlist to listen to just to listen to all the pretenciously awful music that I liked, including all the emo music garbage like The Used, Sugarcult, AFI and good old Panic at the disco.

Nostalgia is cool but I know that that time has passed and thankfully will never come back. I had awful taste, hell i was listening to Joy Division the other day, god it's such pretentious garbage but it's good in a bad way, everything is badly mixed, the performance is all over the place haha.

How many people is a small audience for you? Maybe check out "Com Truise see what music he does? I have a feeling that he's in the ballpark of what you want to make.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Worse yet, I was going to Emo/Screamo shows while still sporting a Mullet!!! YIKES! hahaha....
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post

How many people is a small audience for you? Maybe check out "Com Truise see what music he does? I have a feeling that he's in the ballpark of what you want to make.
I'm aware of Com Truise - for my standards, he's pretty successful. The best I've done in terms of popularity is a Greek GoT theme cover (ca 250.000 views).
That kind of success would be great indeed (even less, tbh).
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'm aware of Com Truise - for my standards, he's pretty successful. The best I've done in terms of popularity is a Greek GoT theme cover (ca 250.000 views).
That kind of success would be great indeed (even less, tbh).
So you already have a taste of what could work. If one of your approach worked, maybe replicate that, choose another show and make a Greek theme cover of something else and see if you can get similar numbers. A Tiger King theme cover maybe? Stranger things? I'm just trying to brainstorm a bit. See what's how on Netflix or Disney plus or prime and make a theme cover of that. I'm just trying to help.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gretscher View Post
Worse yet, I was going to Emo/Screamo shows while still sporting a Mullet!!! YIKES! hahaha....
This is something that you should never be ashamed of haha, you did good by doing that man. Taking back sunday is amazing btw lol.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Yup! Being on Long Island we saw tons of those bands. Started taking my daughter @ 13. Saw TBS, Brand New, Bayside, Glassjaw, HeadAutomatica...all of the locals and tons more. We still go to shows....minus the mullet!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
No arguments from me here. I am a bit of an old fart (38 y.o.), and not actively following many trends.
Heh. 38 doesn't make you an old fart!

Quote:
Obviously at the moment things are not happening but I have a few friends in Greece and there seems to be an active scene there (normally). Have you tried contacting organisers of smaller events to see if you can do a live set? Do you have a demo set you can send to organisers?

Alistair
Old 6 days ago
Quote:

Obviously at the moment things are not happening but I have a few friends in Greece and there seems to be an active scene there (normally). Have you tried contacting organisers of smaller events to see if you can do a live set? Do you have a demo set you can send to organisers?

Alistair
I've contacted pretty much all organisers. They don't seem to be interested as my psytrance is more retro/melodic than current stuff. I was to play in a festival in Chile in December, but with all that's happened, it's highly unlikely I'll have money to go there. There is an agency that contacted me, but it's a small one with virtually unknown artists, although they throw parties, so I'll give it a go.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I've contacted pretty much all organisers. They don't seem to be interested as my psytrance is more retro/melodic than current stuff. I was to play in a festival in Chile in December, but with all that's happened, it's highly unlikely I'll have money to go there. There is an agency that contacted me, but it's a small one with virtually unknown artists, although they throw parties, so I'll give it a go.
Bummer about Chile. Hopefully you can make it there somehow (if things are happening by December). Yeah def contact smaller organisations. They can be a bit more open to local artists.

Alistair
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Suggestion: You want to play the shows, make music so you can perform live? Make music they're interested in.

I just think you need to come to a compromise type situation. You can't do it your way and then cry when things aren't happening when you do it your way. If you want people to be interested then maybe give them a bit of what they want.

I just feel like there's a lot of whining and not a whole lot of, "ok I will do things differently and see what happens". Since the thread started, I managed to finish 3 songs. What have you done since this thread started? Have you taken any of our advice? I'm basically doing the dad talk right now, I do the same to my kids lol. I tell them, don't whine if you havent tried the alternative that we've suggested.

Correction, the thread is 4 weeks old! Jesus I've worked on about 7 songs this month, and I have 2 kids and a wife mind you, so what's your excuse? I'm starting to get a little pissed off about this thread.

Stop thinking about doing shows, focus on making music that will get some kind of audience. I havent played a show in 2 and a half years btw, and my career has grown during this time, because people keep streaming my songs big time. Focus on your online fanbase and then start thinking shows, no one wants to discover acts live, unless they're fans.

If you cant or dont want to listen to my advice or other people's advice on here, then good luck. I dont feel sorry for whiners who don't change their approach.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Bummer about Chile.
Understatement of the year (so far).
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Suggestion: You want to play the shows, make music so you can perform live? Make music they're interested in.

I just think you need to come to a compromise type situation. You can't do it your way and then cry when things aren't happening when you do it your way. If you want people to be interested then maybe give them a bit of what they want.

I just feel like there's a lot of whining and not a whole lot of, "ok I will do things differently and see what happens". Since the thread started, I managed to finish 3 songs. What have you done since this thread started? Have you taken any of our advice? I'm basically doing the dad talk right now, I do the same to my kids lol. I tell them, don't whine if you havent tried the alternative that we've suggested.

Correction, the thread is 4 weeks old! Jesus I've worked on about 7 songs this month, and I have 2 kids and a wife mind you, so what's your excuse? I'm starting to get a little pissed off about this thread.

Stop thinking about doing shows, focus on making music that will get some kind of audience. I havent played a show in 2 and a half years btw, and my career has grown during this time, because people keep streaming my songs big time. Focus on your online fanbase and then start thinking shows, no one wants to discover acts live, unless they're fans.

If you cant or dont want to listen to my advice or other people's advice on here, then good luck. I dont feel sorry for whiners who don't change their approach.
Relax; there is a reason I posted this in the Moan Zone! You seem to only be able to measure success by commerciality - that's not the case for everybody. Some people are just looking for their niche, and would be happy just being there.

This isn't a pissing contest either. But since you asked, in the past month I've done 4 remixes/mixes in different genres for competitions, a psytrance quarantine live set and a dj set for radio, released an ep of electronic covers, made 4 tracks in a new genre I'm working on (which I think is kind of a new subgenre of Industrial - haven't heard anything like it, really, can't say for sure), I'm working on an album with my brother in a new genre/new territory for me (Greek type of music) and learning about streaming and vlogging as well, all while working 8 hours a day - so I've been busy too.

I've also tried to do a bit more commercial stuff in the past couple of years (a tech house ep which was originally for a ghost-writing gig), remixes of known artists in psytrance style, dabbled a bit with a slightly more commercial psytrance sound etc. It's not like I'm not interested in finding an audience, but I think having a somewhat unique voice is also important - what's the point of sounding just like every other artist out there? That's something that puts me off, personally. Just for the buckazoids? Nah, thanks. There has to be a way to do things without feeling like you're selling out. Get better at it? Absolutely. Comprimise here and there? Sure, that's life, but remember not to lose your individual voice just to be liked. That might work for people who only look at this like a job, but not for others.

Anyway, I started this thread in the Moan Zone just to vent. But since it picked up some traction, I like to listen to what people have to say; it's definitely helpful. And anything that seems like a good idea - and I've heard several - I'll try to see how I can implement. It's not that I don't care what you say, I'm just trying to find what can work for me, based on what *I* would like to achieve, not necessarily someone else's idea of success.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Relax; there is a reason I posted this in the Moan Zone! You seem to only be able to measure success by commerciality - that's not the case for everybody. Some people are just looking for their niche, and would be happy just being there.

This isn't a pissing contest either. But since you asked, in the past month I've done 4 remixes/mixes in different genres for competitions, a psytrance quarantine live set and a dj set for radio, released an ep of electronic covers, made 4 tracks in a new genre I'm working on (which I think is kind of a new subgenre of Industrial - haven't heard anything like it, really, can't say for sure), I'm working on an album with my brother in a new genre/new territory for me (Greek type of music) and learning about streaming and vlogging as well, all while working 8 hours a day - so I've been busy too.

I've also tried to do a bit more commercial stuff in the past couple of years (a tech house ep which was originally for a ghost-writing gig), remixes of known artists in psytrance style, dabbled a bit with a slightly more commercial psytrance sound etc. It's not like I'm not interested in finding an audience, but I think having a somewhat unique voice is also important - what's the point of sounding just like every other artist out there? That's something that puts me off, personally. Just for the buckazoids? Nah, thanks. There has to be a way to do things without feeling like you're selling out. Get better at it? Absolutely. Comprimise here and there? Sure, that's life, but remember not to lose your individual voice just to be liked. That might work for people who only look at this like a job, but not for others.

Anyway, I started this thread in the Moan Zone just to vent. But since it picked up some traction, I like to listen to what people have to say; it's definitely helpful. And anything that seems like a good idea - and I've heard several - I'll try to see how I can implement. It's not that I don't care what you say, I'm just trying to find what can work for me, based on what *I* would like to achieve, not necessarily someone else's idea of success.
What kind of traction have you gotten from your efforts?

When it comes to success etc, the way I see it is, people are either all in or not. From what I've seen with my project in 6 years, you're either riding your project and riding it hard, or you're doing it as a hobby. If you ride it hard you get an audience, if you go at it mildly you dont get an audience, and if you do the bare minimum you get nothing either. You want to get listeners, you're gonna have to give them something to be excited about. I'm not sure there is much of an audience for Psytrance music right now.

Anyway I think there's a ton of useful info in here, good luck with your music.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search