The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spam emails and phone calls increasing expodentially...
Old 1 week ago
Spam emails and phone calls increasing expodentially...

It seems like the spammers have nothing else to do except spam others during the virus outbreak.

I got 11 calls from Google ad words over a period of 24 hours. I also got 18 hang up phone calls during the same period. I told one caller where he could stick it and he was NOT HAPPY! and started calling me names before I hung up.

My Email Inbox is overflowing with all types of spam messages from friends who's email have been hacked to people telling me I have won some amount of money to emails telling me of some new "miracle drug" for combating COVID 19 and it will only cost me $1000 if I act "right now". I have also been sent a lot of "News" emails about the virus outbreak and 99% of them are made up stories or just plain lies. Why when the whole world is in danger from this virus do people resort to scamming others? It makes no sense to me. If these people would use their time for something worthwhile maybe they would be better off.

I hope everyone on GS is safe and HEALTHY!!!
Old 4 days ago
More and more SPAM emails offering masks, sanitizer, "miracle cures" for COVID 19 (all at grossly inflated prices) and lots of emails from unknown "friends" asking me to go to a website. The spammers are having a field day.

The phone is strangely quiet. Only two hang up calls yesterday and one from my "doctor" trying to schedule an appointment for a checkup, the same phone call I got last week. (My doctor's office knew nothing of the phone call)

No calls from clients. No calls from legit people/businesses or friends.

I just want this COVID 19 to be OVER so we can get back to some type of normal living.

BE SAFE and STAY HEALTHY!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Why not get a new email address?
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Why not get a new email address?
Considering all the possibilities but this one is almost impossible to implement due to a lot of factors. FWIW
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Some people just see opportunity to rob people no matter the circumstances. The china virus is just another opportunity to these people. Over here in NYC, there were 4 people dressed in hazmat suits and going to people's houses claiming they're from the city and doing inspections for the virus and then robbing them at gunpoint. The police have issued warnings and posted pictures of the 4 people in the bio suits and warned people that the city is not sending anyone out to do inspections.

I mean, most smart people are staying indoors yet these 4 see an opportunity to walk to people's houses and rob them.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

I mean, most smart people are staying indoors yet these 4 see an opportunity to walk to people's houses and rob them.
Well, they were wearing hazmat suits... so, safe?
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Some people just see opportunity to rob people no matter the circumstances. The china virus is just another opportunity to these people. Over here in NYC, there were 4 people dressed in hazmat suits and going to people's houses claiming they're from the city and doing inspections for the virus and then robbing them at gunpoint. The police have issued warnings and posted pictures of the 4 people in the bio suits and warned people that the city is not sending anyone out to do inspections.

FYI it is not the "China Virus" it is COVID-19 it just started in China.

It is terrible what people will stoop to during a crisis. There are reports here in Ohio of people breaking into stores closed by governmental orders to steal merchandise. Pretty low...

Getting back on topic. My phone has pretty much stopped ringing from spammers and I am not getting many spam emails. I got two this morning from people offering me N-95 masks for wildly inflated prices and one wanting to sell me some information on stocks that were sure to go up after the pandemic has abated.

There is so much misinformation being generated on the WWW and it is almost impossible to tell what is true and what is not especially when it comes from a normally good "news source". I guess I will stick with NPR and the BBC for my news. At least they stay in the middle and don't sensationalize the news as many other broadcasters do.

Be safe and STAY HEALTHY!

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 1 day ago at 12:27 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I have a land line home phone. Scammers suspect I’m probably old, overly polite, naive and possibly experiencing some level of dementia (or they’ve read my GS posts and are sure of it).
Anyway, I often get scam calls, and during election years a higher number of hang-ups and polling calls.
This year I’m getting a number of calls where the whole exercise seems to be about trying to record my voice saying “yes”. They start with “Can you hear me?” and run through, “Are you the person who pays the bill on this phone?” to “Would you like to register for a free chance to win ____?” and everything between.
I’m also accused of being various kinds of criminals or being the victim of criminals, all of which can be cleared up if I call a specific number.
It is just this week that the scams started to include virus scams. I can buy cures, call for information, respond to being named as a person who has been contacted by someone with the virus.
Remember what Nancy Reagan said, “Just say no!”
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Maniac

I have noticed a lot more spam emails. Particularly the ones with links in them that will likely hack your system. Spam calls have remained steady, I've been getting those for years.

Also I hate to be that guy, but it's "exponentially". "expodentially" is not a word.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall View Post
"expodentially" is not a word.
I thought it might refer to having teeth removed.
Old 14 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall View Post
I have noticed a lot more spam emails. Particularly the ones with links in them that will likely hack your system. Spam calls have remained steady, I've been getting those for years.

Also I hate to be that guy, but it's "exponentially". "expodentially" is not a word.
You are CORRECT!!!! My bad! Too many things going on at the same time.

BE SAFE AND STAY HEALTHY
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search