The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
musicians email
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Maniac

musicians email

I hate emails like this from musicians. Anyone else get these often?

“ I want to do 12 songs and I don't make many mistakes, so I think I can do all 12 songs in 2 hours in 1 or 2 takes each.”

Last edited by Digiplex; 3rd March 2020 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 4 weeks ago
No but I get ones like this

Greeting

I’m C*****A*****J*****, I would like to know if you still specialize in audio recording services?

After replying no that we are a mastering and audio restoration facility I get this.

Awesome, I want you to help me handle a vocal recording for my peoples but i want you to know that I’m presently at the hospital for a surgery, please let me know if you can help handle the recording perfectly for them, Thanks

Best Regards

It is obviously a SCAM and the next email will ask if I can take a check for my services plus an additional amount for me to give to the group for their travels. Of course the check I am given will bounce about 6 weeks later and I will be liable for the whole check. I think this is called the "Recording Studio Scam" and has been discussed here before.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
I hate emails like this from musicians. Anyone else get these often?

“ I want to do 12 songs and I don't make many mistakes, so I think I can do all 12 songs in 2 hours in 1 or 2 takes each.”
If you charge by the hour, what's the big deal? You should be grateful that potential clients are reaching out to you at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you charge by the hour, what's the big deal? You should be grateful that potential clients are reaching out to you at all.
Can you record , edit , mix and master an album in 2 hours?? I know I’m not going to
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Can you record , edit , mix and master an album in 2 hours?? I know I’m not going to
What part of "by the hour" don't you... oh, never mind.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What part of "by the hour" don't you... oh, never mind.
Story ends with
“ I found a guy looking to build his reel and he’ll do it all For $50”
Old 4 weeks ago
just respond with fine, that'll be x amount, don't tell them your hourly rate, just give them a number for 2 hours, explain that they'll have to pay more if they go into overtime, and see how they respond, you might not get a response, if you do then take it from there, make the most of the opportunity whilst you have it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Whilst we all know the type you're talking about...and I think 2 hrs is possibly pushing it...if it's *a* musician, and assuming we're not talking one of those one man band/bass drum on the back types, he's going to be playing piano or guitar and singing. If he can do it live in one or two takes.. sure you could get 12 songs down, set a bit of verb and basic EQ, and render out the mixes offline bouncing.

If he wants more than that, then I guess you have to explain the mixing costs money, and for most of us a 2hr booking isn't worth it - half day minimum perhaps?

And yes - someone who'll do it for $50 is welcome to it!

It's the bands that think along the same lines that are funny...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've had great long term working relationships come from seemingly very poor starts, and I've had massively promising referrals from friends turn to sh*t. I try to remain friendly and open even if the first contact is poorly worded or seems off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search