The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why do buyers have to pay for Classifieds?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Why do buyers have to pay for Classifieds?

I think it's ridiculous that buyers have to pay 20 USD (per year, not even lifetime access...) to be able to contact sellers in the classifieds. I know the ebay/reverb listings are free, but most of the good listings are Gearslutz exclusive and are not free.

I understand asking sellers to pay a fee to list there but it makes no sense to charge buyers just for the ability to even contact a seller and discuss the item further.

This practice also hurts sellers by severely limiting the amount of potential buyers they can reach with their ad.

Can anyone explain to me the logic of this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It eliminates roughly 300% of time-wasters, I'm educatedly guessing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Although I have not contacted anyone since yesterday morning, I've never had to pay to contact anyone via the classifieds and there's nothing about this in the Classifieds FAQ or terms of use.

Is this a new thing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
This.
Old 4 weeks ago
Engagement Manager

The Classifieds are free to access and use for the majority of members. Anyone who joined in the first decade of a Gearslutz has never had to pay. After that we introduced a $20 for lifetime access for new members which then became $20 for yearly access

We wanted to keep the classifieds a safe place to buy and sell and were seeing a large increase in the number of scammers joining just to make contact/rip people off

This is also why your Classifieds listings don’t show up on Google and why we don’t let members offer gear for sale outside of the Classifieds

We spend a lot of time behind the scenes trying to prevent this and dealing with the fallout when things do go wrong

The $20 fee has really helped as a deterrent and classifieds remain a cool and friendly place for members to use
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
Yes this

And what Sniperschool says above.

eBay and Reverb have teams of anti fraud staff - (And we display no charge links to used gear for sale on both of those services- thats free)

Gearslutz doesn't have teams of anti fraud staff - We don't charge per listing or ask for a commision so the thought process to charge to connect to other people in the classifieds is from our viewpoint 99% a security deterrent and 1% a money generating thing. We aren't 'making out like bandits' on the $20 a year payments - there aren't enough for it to be a significant earner.

The classifieds are there for members gear research, use and and are an additional service we provide to make visiting the site more interesting. We recognise that its an important part of the site for many people.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search