The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
An open rant to Eventide
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

An open rant to Eventide

Hi Eventide

I love your amazing algos but hate your silly boxes

Having limited hardware to house digital algos made sense in the 80´s
Sure, the small format of the H9 makes sense on a pedalboard but not in the studio where you have two hands that are itching to twist every knob
Turning that flashy encoder makes me dizzy before the value even got halfway from 0-100
Why not just release a stompbox controller that looks like the app???
One controller to rule all them algos, there´s no need to make all the other boxes (modfactor, timefactor, pitchfactor & space), they´d be obsolete rarities in an afternoon

Let it have the 10 knobs like the app, the 3 footswitches, a touchstrip for the HOT parameter morphing, a proper USB connector and a hi res display (same size as the touchstrip), balanced I/O and audio over USB (OverBridge style)

And for the love of god, make a VST plugin to go with it so the parameters can easily be automated without having to mess around with MIDI mappings
It´s embarrassing that some genius coder have to put together the only plugin that can be automated from the DAW (Ableton only, M4L) and give it away for free and he does not work for you, or he does, he´s just not getting paid
Just let the box be the dongle so you can run the plugins in your daw, as many as the CPU can handle, nobody is complaining about helping a company that makes great algos make even more and better ones, people will gladly hand over their money for the right product

Why not just give the people what they clearly need and want? It´s 2020 now, time to wake up and get moving
There´s a guy who makes a DIY box similar to what I´ve proposed only more primitive and crude, does that not make you go hmm?
Why not try talking to people? There´s a huge forum here with lots of great minds that could come up with all sorts of brilliant ideas
Also they could tell you what they actually want instead of releasing the H9 dinosaur again and make it dark, which is the colour it should have been from the start imo
This thing should be the HOT topic at the office and whiteboards should get molested within the week with intense brainstorming sessions

Yes, this is a rant, but I don´t think it belongs in the moan zone and I don´t feel like a troll, if anything it should be seen as encouragement and a little slap in the face
I´m sure there are more here that love your algos but think you could design better hardware that is easier to integrate and more fun to use in the studio
For those that feel their Eventide hardware is amazing, good for you, no really
This is for Eventide to see if people actually want more so if you do, please chime in
Maybe I´m alone here but then I´d say that crazy is the new sane

I could have formulated myself more PC but the message would have been the same

Cheerios
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

The H9000 should be perfect for you.

Cheers
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

gotta love these folks who think they are smarter than the manufacturers (while their rant imo mostly shows their limited understanding of the market, the gear and efx in general)!

anyway, what's a plugin? :-)
Old 2nd March 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Hi Eventide

I love your amazing algos but hate your silly boxes

Having limited hardware to house digital algos made sense in the 80´s
Sure, the small format of the H9 makes sense on a pedalboard but not in the studio where you have two hands that are itching to twist every knob
Turning that flashy encoder makes me dizzy before the value even got halfway from 0-100
Why not just release a stompbox controller that looks like the app???
One controller to rule all them algos, there´s no need to make all the other boxes (modfactor, timefactor, pitchfactor & space), they´d be obsolete rarities in an afternoon

Let it have the 10 knobs like the app, the 3 footswitches, a touchstrip for the HOT parameter morphing, a proper USB connector and a hi res display (same size as the touchstrip), balanced I/O and audio over USB (OverBridge style)

And for the love of god, make a VST plugin to go with it so the parameters can easily be automated without having to mess around with MIDI mappings
It´s embarrassing that some genius coder have to put together the only plugin that can be automated from the DAW (Ableton only, M4L) and give it away for free and he does not work for you, or he does, he´s just not getting paid
Just let the box be the dongle so you can run the plugins in your daw, as many as the CPU can handle, nobody is complaining about helping a company that makes great algos make even more and better ones, people will gladly hand over their money for the right product

Why not just give the people what they clearly need and want? It´s 2020 now, time to wake up and get moving
There´s a guy who makes a DIY box similar to what I´ve proposed only more primitive and crude, does that not make you go hmm?
Why not try talking to people? There´s a huge forum here with lots of great minds that could come up with all sorts of brilliant ideas
Also they could tell you what they actually want instead of releasing the H9 dinosaur again and make it dark, which is the colour it should have been from the start imo
This thing should be the HOT topic at the office and whiteboards should get molested within the week with intense brainstorming sessions

Yes, this is a rant, but I don´t think it belongs in the moan zone and I don´t feel like a troll, if anything it should be seen as encouragement and a little slap in the face
I´m sure there are more here that love your algos but think you could design better hardware that is easier to integrate and more fun to use in the studio
For those that feel their Eventide hardware is amazing, good for you, no really
This is for Eventide to see if people actually want more so if you do, please chime in
Maybe I´m alone here but then I´d say that crazy is the new sane

I could have formulated myself more PC but the message would have been the same

Cheerios
Thanks so much for the feedback, I will be sure to share it. Just an FYI, the H9000 does offer full integration with DAWs (plug-in or standalone) & networking protocols such as Dante.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
...the small format of the H9 makes sense on a pedalboard but not in the studio where you have two hands that are itching to twist every knob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville71 View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback, I will be sure to share it. Just an FYI, the H9000 does offer full integration with DAWs (plug-in or standalone) & networking protocols such as Dante.
Heck, an H3000 DSE is far superior to the H9 in the studio. Sound, interface, and packaging.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The answer is business model!! They need you to keep coming back, ur the CONsumer brother. If they gave you what you wanted you’ll never return. All jokes aside Eventide is an awesome company doing great things..product research and development is not cheap especially for a small company.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
The answer is business model!! They need you to keep coming back, ur the CONsumer brother. If they gave you what you wanted you’ll never return. All jokes aside Eventide is an awesome company doing great things..product research and development is not cheap especially for a small company.
Thanks for the kind words and understanding spirit.

I started working at Eventide in 1972. I'm our resident fossil. Folks seem to confuse age with size. We're certainly old but we've always been a small group of developers. I don't think we ever called what we do a 'business model'.

We're here because we love music. Most of us play. I play cello, guitar and uke- all poorly. We're here trying to create stuff that inspires us with the hope that our stuff will inspire others. We've been fortunate but anyone who believes that what we do translates to 'fortune' doesn't know us. Eventide is not a well-oiled money making scheme. We work hard to create stuff that people 'value' and, that said, so far, so good. Well, at least, good enough for r&r.

I'm eternally grateful for having the opportunity to work with such talented groups over the many years. If you want to see who we are check us out doing what we love (the singer is a hired gun, the rest are just us).

https://youtu.be/VuDy3JYyl_s

Last year we ran a remix contest and recorded this with some friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw79...ature=emb_logo

https://www.eventideaudio.com/contest/itchycoo

That's who we are. That's what we love to do.

If you want to get to know some of us even better check out the gear club podcasts - three episodes with our core team:

https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/66/h9000-1
https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/66/h9000-2
https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/66/h9000-3

Stay safe. It's clear, more than ever, that we're all on the same boat.

https://mailchi.mp/eventide/insider-...0?e=b1f0b4bb47

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search