The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A new round of goofy phone calls
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
A new round of goofy phone calls

After a 1 month lull the goofy phone calls have come back with a vengeance.
From about the 7th of December till the 7th of January there were hardly any sales calls or the "no one at the other end" calls. After the 7th things changed.

I am getting more and more strange phone calls. One that bothers me is someone calls and when I answer all I hear is someone on the other end doing a lot of heavy breathing (it sounds male). Somewhat unnerving to say the least. This has happened at least three times since the 7th of January. Also getting a lot of the hang up phone calls but these are strange in that the phone only rings about 1/2 ring and when I answer there is nothing (complete silence) at the other end. I have gotten about 10 phone calls from VISA/MASTERCARD wanting to congratulate me on my use of their card and of course wanting me to give them my credit card numbers and pin numbers so they can give me a "better rate" How dumb to people have to be to fall for this??? I am also getting a lot of calls from Google which I know are all a scam.

Two phone calls late at night from a rapper and a C&W "artist" wanting to "come right over an lay down some tunes" and when I refuse (after getting woken out of a sound sleep) they get upset that they cannot do what they want "right now". Unfortunately we are listed in Google as a recording studio as there is no listing for Mastering or Video Post production. Another strange phone call was from someone wanting to book studio time and when I tried to tell them we were not a recording studio I realized this was a recording. At the end of the recording it instructs the person listening to push one for booking info. I guess the "Nigerian Email scam" has gone over to the phone.

i thought this was all suppose to go away after the first of the year. The fines for getting caught are substantial so it must be worth it to the scammer to keep on doing this. Oh well fun times with the phone calls.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
After a 1 month lull the goofy phone calls have come back with a vengeance.
From about the 7th of December till the 7th of January there were hardly any sales calls or the "no one at the other end" calls. After the 7th things changed.

I am getting more and more strange phone calls. One that bothers me is someone calls and when I answer all I hear is someone on the other end doing a lot of heavy breathing (it sounds male). Somewhat unnerving to say the least. This has happened at least three times since the 7th of January. Also getting a lot of the hang up phone calls but these are strange in that the phone only rings about 1/2 ring and when I answer there is nothing (complete silence) at the other end. I have gotten about 10 phone calls from VISA/MASTERCARD wanting to congratulate me on my use of their card and of course wanting me to give them my credit card numbers and pin numbers so they can give me a "better rate" How dumb to people have to be to fall for this??? I am also getting a lot of calls from Google which I know are all a scam.

Two phone calls late at night from a rapper and a C&W "artist" wanting to "come right over an lay down some tunes" and when I refuse (after getting woken out of a sound sleep) they get upset that they cannot do what they want "right now". Unfortunately we are listed in Google as a recording studio as there is no listing for Mastering or Video Post production. Another strange phone call was from someone wanting to book studio time and when I tried to tell them we were not a recording studio I realized this was a recording. At the end of the recording it instructs the person listening to push one for booking info. I guess the "Nigerian Email scam" has gone over to the phone.

i thought this was all suppose to go away after the first of the year. The fines for getting caught are substantial so it must be worth it to the scammer to keep on doing this. Oh well fun times with the phone calls.
My new theory is that your phone is mounted over an old Native American burial site...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
My new theory is that your phone is mounted over an old Native American burial site...
Funny you should mention this. It has long been a rumor that Oberlin is such a strange place to live because it is built on an Indian burial mound in the middle of Tappan Square which is in the middle of the town. Maybe you are right...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
Or it's just in ohio
Nothing's just in Ohio.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Funny you should mention this. It has long been a rumor that Oberlin is such a strange place to live because it is built on an Indian burial mound in the middle of Tappan Square which is in the middle of the town. Maybe you are right...
Well... if there are two plausible explanations for a phenom and one of them is being built over an aboriginal burial ground, I usually take the other.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Frankly, I don't even understand why you answer phone calls outside of your business hours. I don't even answer during business hours to be honest, unless it's a number I already know. And when I'm working in the studio, phone is on silent mode anyway.

Want to reach me ? Fill the contact form or leave a message. People who don't bother to do it are either scam or client that are probably not worthy of your time.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
False. I found the armpit of America there....
I said JUST in Ohio.

(There is more than one armpit.)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Unfortunately we are listed in Google as a recording studio as there is no listing for Mastering or Video Post production.
Good ol' Google! No doubt the source of many problems but also paid work as well. It's incredible how powerful that company is!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Trying to help a good friend's children get their parent's house in order after he passed I contracted Bacterial Pneumonia so I have been at the Emergency Room, in the hospital, and resting trying to get well. Yesterday I got a call from a potential client. He wanted some VHS tapes transferred to DVD. He said he was busy during the day and the only time he could come over was late at night or on weekends. I told him that the weekend would be fine. Then he said I need an estimate of how much this will cost. I asked how many VHS tapes and he could not tell me. He also did not know the length of the VHS tapes. He said "well I need an estimate" I told him that if he brought the tapes over I could put them into the VHS machine and check the length and could give him a "rough" estimate. I told him how much a minute the transfers would cost and everything depended on the lengths of the tape. He said he was shopping for the "best price" and was not impressed with my estimating.

Where do these people come from and why do I get them????

How am I suppose to give someone an estimate based on NO INFORMATION and then have them tell me they did not like my estimation. He said he would call back after he had made some more phone calls to "people who will give me a good estimate". He finished up the phone call telling me that he was not impressed with my "lack of empathy for my clients" WTF

YUCK!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Trying to help a good friend's children get their parent's house in order after he passed I contracted Bacterial Pneumonia so I have been at the Emergency Room, in the hospital, and resting trying to get well. Yesterday I got a call from a potential client. He wanted some VHS tapes transferred to DVD. He said he was busy during the day and the only time he could come over was late at night or on weekends. I told him that the weekend would be fine. Then he said I need an estimate of how much this will cost. I asked how many VHS tapes and he could not tell me. He also did not know the length of the VHS tapes. He said "well I need an estimate" I told him that if he brought the tapes over I could put them into the VHS machine and check the length and could give him a "rough" estimate. I told him how much a minute the transfers would cost and everything depended on the lengths of the tape. He said he was shopping for the "best price" and was not impressed with my estimating.

Where do these people come from and why do I get them????

How am I suppose to give someone an estimate based on NO INFORMATION and then have them tell me they did not like my estimation. He said he would call back after he had made some more phone calls to "people who will give me a good estimate". He finished up the phone call telling me that he was not impressed with my "lack of empathy for my clients" WTF

YUCK!
You dodged a bullet on that one. No one wants to deal with clients like that.

Sometimes you can head off such pointless, time-wasting interactions with a good set of FAQs on your website. (I remember reading a bunch of such FAQs when I was mastering a CD for a client back in the 90s and looking for a rep house to work with. The best of them let the clients know exactly what was required, what would cost extra, etc.)

Of course, judging from your story, this guy probably isn't someone who'd bother reading a FAQ page before asking for an estimate.

I developed a bit of a sense of smell for trouble clients; I've turned down a number of inquiries; I fired a few troublesome clients who slipped through. (The latter I typically ended up not charging for work that was done -- but it was worth it.)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Trying to help a good friend's children get their parent's house in order after he passed I contracted Bacterial Pneumonia so I have been at the Emergency Room, in the hospital, and resting trying to get well. Yesterday I got a call from a potential client. He wanted some VHS tapes transferred to DVD. He said he was busy during the day and the only time he could come over was late at night or on weekends. I told him that the weekend would be fine. Then he said I need an estimate of how much this will cost. I asked how many VHS tapes and he could not tell me. He also did not know the length of the VHS tapes. He said "well I need an estimate" I told him that if he brought the tapes over I could put them into the VHS machine and check the length and could give him a "rough" estimate. I told him how much a minute the transfers would cost and everything depended on the lengths of the tape. He said he was shopping for the "best price" and was not impressed with my estimating.

Where do these people come from and why do I get them????

How am I suppose to give someone an estimate based on NO INFORMATION and then have them tell me they did not like my estimation. He said he would call back after he had made some more phone calls to "people who will give me a good estimate". He finished up the phone call telling me that he was not impressed with my "lack of empathy for my clients" WTF

YUCK!
Please please don't take this the wrong way, but how have you done this for 25 years? From your various moan threads you seem constantly surprised there are idiots in the world (also, OH - seriously, anymore if the news story is about someone held in a basement for years, its OH; for just general silliness, see FL).

I work in automotive F&I claims, which means dealing with people with zero financial sense who have just totaled what is probably the biggest or second biggest (a house being #1 ) purchase of their lives, so perhaps I'm cynical when it comes to humanity. Also, I have a staff to handle calls - once they've navigated the phone menu. Voicemail is a goo way of avoiding human contact - also email
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpe View Post
Please please don't take this the wrong way, but how have you done this for 25 years? From your various moan threads you seem constantly surprised there are idiots in the world (also, OH - seriously, anymore if the news story is about someone held in a basement for years, its OH; for just general silliness, see FL).

I work in automotive F&I claims, which means dealing with people with zero financial sense who have just totaled what is probably the biggest or second biggest (a house being #1 ) purchase of their lives, so perhaps I'm cynical when it comes to humanity. Also, I have a staff to handle calls - once they've navigated the phone menu. Voicemail is a goo way of avoiding human contact - also email
I am seriously wondering if there such things as "normal" clients anymore. I try and run a very client friendly - very professional operation but I am seeing more and more people (potential clients) who are looking for Nirvana (no NOT the BAND) who somehow want the finest results but want to pay a pittance for what they want. They yell at me if I tell them what it will cost, they get upset that they cannot have their 20 VHS cassettes transferred in under 72 hours and don't want to even pay me for what it costs me to provide the services.

In this area there are very few places that do what we do. We monitor all transfers so there are no surprises for the client when the watch their DVDs. The clients seem to think that we have some "super computer" which we put their VHS cassettes in at one end and 5 minutes later they are transferred and burned onto a DVD. I try and work with people but I have to make money in order to keep the doors open. We seem to get more and more of the "tire kicker" clients who are only looking for the cheapest price irrespective of the quality they want. NOT FUN!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I am seriously wondering if there such things as "normal" clients anymore. I try and run a very client friendly - very professional operation but I am seeing more and more people (potential clients) who are looking for Nirvana (no NOT the BAND) who somehow want the finest results but want to pay a pittance for what they want. They yell at me if I tell them what it will cost, they get upset that they cannot have their 20 VHS cassettes transferred in under 72 hours and don't want to even pay me for what it costs me to provide the services.

In this area there are very few places that do what we do. We monitor all transfers so there are no surprises for the client when the watch their DVDs. The clients seem to think that we have some "super computer" which we put their VHS cassettes in at one end and 5 minutes later they are transferred and burned onto a DVD. I try and work with people but I have to make money in order to keep the doors open. We seem to get more and more of the "tire kicker" clients who are only looking for the cheapest price irrespective of the quality they want. NOT FUN!
Here is your competition. https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-and-pricing

People don't want to pay for quality so don't sell yourself on quality.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
I came across this article just now about how free apps lead to entitlement: https://www.brainscape.com/blog/2011...ment-syndrome/

Between that, "free" music that was uploaded to YouTube and wherever else plus all of the other "free" stuff that's why we are where we are. People are so used to getting low cost goods that they don't want to pay for quality services. Free wi-fi internet access is another entitlement...

See now, that laptop computer or smart device is a gatekeeper. You can't get one of those for free without stealing a physical product. But all of the digital goods? There for the taking because the police probably won't arrest the thieves plus it's hard to catch them anyway.

My friends and colleagues look at me cross-eyed when I tell them I've paid for apps that cost over $50.00. Professional software is well worth the expense if it can make my life easier in some major way. They think I am crazy to buy music and Bluray movies as well. What a sad world we're living in.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Last two days = 7 phone calls from "Google ad words" all saying the same thing, 5 phone calls from "NO ONE" just the phone rings and there is silence at the other end. 3 phone calls from random people offering me a new roof, a large loan for my business and a chance to get my logo on the local high school's cheer leader's uniforms. (only $250.00 what a steal). Also a phone call from "The Apple Company" saying that my computer was causing problems on the internet and they needed to have access to my computer to fix the problem (strong Asian accent). Then the call from the Fireman's Benevolent Association asking for my donation ($25.00, $50.00 or $150.00 are the donation amounts we seek) and someone looking for a guitar for his son. No client or maybe client phone calls.

Talking to other local residents they are also getting a plethora of stupid phone calls lately especially ones looking for donations.

I guess the phone scammers/robocallers are looking for new victims before the federal government starts putting the screws to them. https://time.com/5757044/trump-signs-robocalls-law/

Hopefully things will change.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Here is your competition. https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-and-pricing

People don't want to pay for quality so don't sell yourself on quality.
Well I cannot match Walmart prices so I guess it maybe time to stop doing VHS transfers. Pretty soon with all the AI mastering places cropping up I am sure Walmart will soon be doing AI mastering as well.

Maybe Walmart and Amazon will take over the world, oh wait they already have...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran_ks View Post
Frankly, I don't even understand why you answer phone calls outside of your business hours. I don't even answer during business hours to be honest, unless it's a number I already know. And when I'm working in the studio, phone is on silent mode anyway.

Want to reach me ? Fill the contact form or leave a message. People who don't bother to do it are either scam or client that are probably not worthy of your time.
I guess I am hoping that when someone calls it will be a potential client so I answer the phone.

I got a phone call last week from a very angry women who told me that "I have been trying to reach you for three days, don't you ever answer your phone?" I told her that when I am here I always answer the phone but when I am not here there is a answering machine on and people can leave me a message" She said "well I don't talk to machines and if you want people to use your services you should be around when someone needs to talk to you". She then went on to tell me "I have decided to use someone else as it is evident to me that you do not value new customers" and then she hung up.

I guess no matter what I do someone will not like it...FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Last two days = 7 phone calls from "Google ad words" all saying the same thing, 5 phone calls from "NO ONE" just the phone rings and there is silence at the other end. 3 phone calls from random people offering me a new roof, a large loan for my business and a chance to get my logo on the local high school's cheer leader's uniforms. (only $250.00 what a steal). Also a phone call from "The Apple Company" saying that my computer was causing problems on the internet and they needed to have access to my computer to fix the problem (strong Asian accent). Then the call from the Fireman's Benevolent Association asking for my donation ($25.00, $50.00 or $150.00 are the donation amounts we seek) and someone looking for a guitar for his son. No client or maybe client phone calls.

Talking to other local residents they are also getting a plethora of stupid phone calls lately especially ones looking for donations.

I guess the phone scammers/robocallers are looking for new victims before the federal government starts putting the screws to them. https://time.com/5757044/trump-signs-robocalls-law/

Hopefully things will change.
Maybe you should start making some phone calls. Be the sender instead of the receiver!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Well I cannot match Walmart prices so I guess it maybe time to stop doing VHS transfers. Pretty soon with all the AI mastering places cropping up I am sure Walmart will soon be doing AI mastering as well.

Maybe Walmart and Amazon will take over the world, oh wait they already have...
Why can't you match their prices?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Why can't you match their prices?
Here are their prices https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-and-pricing

I pay an intern to transfer the footage and WATCH what they are transferring. We put it on Adobe Premier, top and tail the movie and then burn it on a DVD.

My interns get $10.50 an hour. The transfer all takes place in real time plus the setup and Adobe Premier time to top and tail. To transfer a two hour VHS tape cost me $21.00 + just for the time to transfer, irrespective of the other functions we have to provide. Walmart gets $15.96 for the first 30 minutes, $7.46 for each additional 30 minutes or a total of $30.88 for 2 hours and I can ALMOST guarantee that they do not watch the VHS movie as it is being transferred. They may even transfer it directly to DVD which is not the way to do this properly.

That is why I cannot meet their prices. They are also doing probably 100 times what we are doing in terms of output and have the equipment in multiple setups to do it without problems. If a playback machine's heads gets clogged half was through they probably don't catch it but we do and start over after cleaning the heads.

I have to imagine that they are making money doing this or they would not be doing it. They also do not offer services like editing out bad takes or getting rid of blank spaces like we do. It costs money to provide this service and a lot of people want stuff done for cheap but with all the "bells and whistles".

We had one client who wanted all the scenes of his "former" wife taken out of the "family" video tape. We charged him for this but he refused to pay saying it was a simple request and he should not be charged for it (it was NOT simple as we had to watch two hours of the tape and mark and then edit out his former wife). People want the deluxe package but only want to pay for the starter package.

FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Here are their prices https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-and-pricing

I pay an intern to transfer the footage and WATCH what they are transferring. We put it on Adobe Premier, top and tail the movie and then burn it on a DVD.

My interns get $10.50 an hour. The transfer all takes place in real time plus the setup and Adobe Premier time to top and tail. To transfer a two hour VHS tape cost me $21.00 + just for the time to transfer, irrespective of the other functions we have to provide. Walmart gets $15.96 for the first 30 minutes, $7.46 for each additional 30 minutes or a total of $30.88 for 2 hours and I can ALMOST guarantee that they do not watch the VHS movie as it is being transferred. They may even transfer it directly to DVD which is not the way to do this properly.

That is why I cannot meet their prices. They are also doing probably 100 times what we are doing in terms of output and have the equipment in multiple setups to do it without problems. If a playback machine's heads gets clogged half was through they probably don't catch it but we do and start over after cleaning the heads.

I have to imagine that they are making money doing this or they would not be doing it. They also do not offer services like editing out bad takes or getting rid of blank spaces like we do. It costs money to provide this service and a lot of people want stuff done for cheap but with all the "bells and whistles".

We had one client who wanted all the scenes of his "former" wife taken out of the "family" video tape. We charged him for this but he refused to pay saying it was a simple request and he should not be charged for it (it was NOT simple as we had to watch two hours of the tape and mark and then edit out his former wife). People want the deluxe package but only want to pay for the starter package.

FWIW
I understand. Seems like you should consider a "Good, better, best" model for these services. The Good one matches Wal-Mart's prices. The Better and Best goes beyond but costs more, obviously. Kind of like a small medium and large french fry box from McDonald's.

Quote:
Walmart gets $15.96 for the first 30 minutes, $7.46 for each additional 30 minutes or a total of $30.88 for 2 hours
This isn't correct. WM charges $38.34 for 2 hours of footage. $15.96 + ($7.46 x 3) = $38.34. Plus they charge $3.96 per DVD. A transfer to DVD is not included for the transfer cost.

And of course Wal-Mart is doing more business than you. Do it $1 cheaper than them for equal services and watch the business roll in.

Now the stupid thing about Wal-Mart's order page is it does not give you the option to add additional time. Only up to 30 minutes is what people are paying for. Some tapes can have more than two hours...so what happens in those cases? I bet that's how Wal-Mart "gets" people. They will have their credit card on file, after all. So an extra 5 1/2 hours was on the tape?

That will be $41,03, sir! On top of the $19.92 that was paid for 30 minutes + the DVD.

Oh you don't want to pay an extra $41.03? We're going to destroy your video tape then! Just see paragraph 5, line 6 in the terms of service that you agreed to when checking the box at checkout! And because Wal-Mart is such a big company, instead of showing up at their business and grabbing someone by the vest, they just pay up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
He's not wrong
See above.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I understand. Seems like you should consider a "Good, better, best" model for these services. The Good one matches Wal-Mart's prices. The Better and Best goes beyond but costs more, obviously. Kind of like a small medium and large french fry box from McDonald's.



This isn't correct. WM charges $38.34 for 2 hours of footage. $15.96 + ($7.46 x 3) = $38.34. Plus they charge $3.96 per DVD. A transfer to DVD is not included for the transfer cost.

And of course Wal-Mart is doing more business than you. Do it $1 cheaper than them for equal services and watch the business roll in.

Now the stupid thing about Wal-Mart's order page is it does not give you the option to add additional time. Only up to 30 minutes is what people are paying for. Some tapes can have more than two hours...so what happens in those cases? I bet that's how Wal-Mart "gets" people. They will have their credit card on file, after all. So an extra 5 1/2 hours was on the tape?

That will be $41,03, sir! On top of the $19.92 that was paid for 30 minutes + the DVD.

Oh you don't want to pay an extra $41.03? We're going to destroy your video tape then! Just see paragraph 5, line 6 in the terms of service that you agreed to when checking the box at checkout! And because Wal-Mart is such a big company, instead of showing up at their business and grabbing someone by the vest, they just pay up.



See above.
We tried the good, better, best approach and everyone wants the best but only wants to pay for the good. (Try going to a gas station and filling up on premium but then telling the attendant that you only want to pay for regular and see how far that gets you but here people want the premium deluxe package but only want to pay for the regular package and it happens all the time).

As to Walmart. They are not doing the transfers. They use a company called YesVideo and here are some reviews https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Yesvideo_com. The reviews are not too good. But it is cheap which seems to be the main reason people use Walmart for this service.

My two businesses are based in my house. They are separate from my living space but still in my house. I would like to have a commercial space up town but in this town business space is expensive (Up to $2000.00 per month for 750 sq feet) and I simply cannot afford it. I guess people assume since this is in my house that I am doing this as a hobby and expect to pay "hobby" type prices for the services we offer.

There are other people doing video transfers like this one https://www.medialocks.com/video-tap...nd-usb-digital. How they are making any money charging what they do is questionable. They have to be doing this blind without watching the transfers unless they are doing so many they can have one person overseeing 10 transfers done simultaneously.

We get comments like this from a recent client who was pleased with what we did for him.

Dear Tom,

Before I watched any of the video I was sure I had just wasted a ton of money on this reclamation project. I have worked my way through 2 of the discs and I was a fool to think that. You did a fabulous job and I am one happy-ass customer. Thank you for the wonderful work you did!

Sincerely,

TP


So there are people who like what we do. It is just a ratio of idiots who want the best services but want to pay NOTHING for them that bothers me. I used to call them "bottom feeders" but I now think they are just looking for the bottom of the barrel and don't understand 2020 prices. They seem to think we are living in the 1950's or earlier.

Here is another review of YesVideo https://www.amazon.com/YesVideo-Vide...ews/B0000UXXS6 Not too good!

Thanks for all your comments. Be safe!

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 2 weeks ago at 05:10 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

I never got cheated on any deal I didn't make.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
I never got cheated on any deal I didn't make.
Could you elaborate. Not sure what you mean..?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Could you elaborate. Not sure what you mean..?
If you don't do business with bullsh!t artists, you'll not get bullsh!tted.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
If you don't do business with bullsh!t artists, you'll not get bullsh!tted.

Most of our clients are GREAT and I have some clients that have been with us from our beginnings in 1995. The current crop of "customers" seem to be transfixed on the "less is more" philosophy which means they want the Super Deluxe package but don't want to pay more than $25.00.

In the past two months I have had people come out, spend an hour of time with me checking on all the variables, watching samples, questioning everything we do and then tell me we are way overpriced. When asked what they mean by "overpriced" they say "for what I want to pay for this service". I ask them what they consider a "fair price" and most of them say not over $25.00 per tape. I wish them well and shake their hand as they walk out of the door. Not sure where they will get this "service" done for what they want to pay for it. They have just taken a hour of my time and for nothing. One person wanted me to do the transfers for him and IF he was pleased with what we did he would consent to pay us. I politely declined. Maybe it is time to stop providing this service. Let them go to Walmart and get hosed...

By the way there are no really good VCR techs around and if you can find one they charge a minimum of $85.00 per hour to service our machines. Really not cost effective.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
By the way there are no really good VCR techs around and if you can find one they charge a minimum of $85.00 per hour to service our machines. Really not cost effective.
I'm hip.
...And this is the same reasoning that explains why you've probably never seen a 'Bic Lighter Repair Shop'.

Life is a harsh teacher: It gives you the test first and then the lesson afterwords.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
We tried the good, better, best approach and everyone wants the best but only wants to pay for the good. (Try going to a gas station and filling up on premium but then telling the attendant that you only want to pay for regular and see how far that gets you but here people want the premium deluxe package but only want to pay for the regular package and it happens all the time).

As to Walmart. They are not doing the transfers. They use a company called YesVideo and here are some reviews https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Yesvideo_com. The reviews are not too good. But it is cheap which seems to be the main reason people use Walmart for this service.

My two businesses are based in my house. They are separate from my living space but still in my house. I would like to have a commercial space up town but in this town business space is expensive (Up to $2000.00 per month for 750 sq feet) and I simply cannot afford it. I guess people assume since this is in my house that I am doing this as a hobby and expect to pay "hobby" type prices for the services we offer.

There are other people doing video transfers like this one https://www.medialocks.com/video-tap...nd-usb-digital. How they are making any money charging what they do is questionable. They have to be doing this blind without watching the transfers unless they are doing so many they can have one person overseeing 10 transfers done simultaneously.

We get comments like this from a recent client who was pleased with what we did for him.

Dear Tom,

Before I watched any of the video I was sure I had just wasted a ton of money on this reclamation project. I have worked my way through 2 of the discs and I was a fool to think that. You did a fabulous job and I am one happy-ass customer. Thank you for the wonderful work you did!

Sincerely,

TP


So there are people who like what we do. It is just a ratio of idiots who want the best services but want to pay NOTHING for them that bothers me. I used to call them "bottom feeders" but I now think they are just looking for the bottom of the barrel and don't understand 2020 prices. They seem to think we are living in the 1950's or earlier.

Here is another review of YesVideo https://www.amazon.com/YesVideo-Vide...ews/B0000UXXS6 Not too good!

Thanks for all your comments. Be safe!
I understand you better now. And yes, it's more likely that Wal-Mart's third party company is doing the bare minimum to turn a profit.

It's frustrating to compete with the bottom of the barrel. Sticking to your guns is the smart way. Like you said, tape machines need repairs and servicing. There is no point in wearing them out for cheap b****ds!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
We tried the good, better, best approach and everyone wants the best but only wants to pay for the good. (Try going to a gas station and filling up on premium but then telling the attendant that you only want to pay for regular and see how far that gets you but here people want the premium deluxe package but only want to pay for the regular package and it happens all the time).

As to Walmart. They are not doing the transfers. They use a company called YesVideo and here are some reviews https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Yesvideo_com. The reviews are not too good. But it is cheap which seems to be the main reason people use Walmart for this service.

My two businesses are based in my house. They are separate from my living space but still in my house. I would like to have a commercial space up town but in this town business space is expensive (Up to $2000.00 per month for 750 sq feet) and I simply cannot afford it. I guess people assume since this is in my house that I am doing this as a hobby and expect to pay "hobby" type prices for the services we offer.

There are other people doing video transfers like this one https://www.medialocks.com/video-tap...nd-usb-digital. How they are making any money charging what they do is questionable. They have to be doing this blind without watching the transfers unless they are doing so many they can have one person overseeing 10 transfers done simultaneously.

We get comments like this from a recent client who was pleased with what we did for him.

Dear Tom,

Before I watched any of the video I was sure I had just wasted a ton of money on this reclamation project. I have worked my way through 2 of the discs and I was a fool to think that. You did a fabulous job and I am one happy-ass customer. Thank you for the wonderful work you did!

Sincerely,

TP


So there are people who like what we do. It is just a ratio of idiots who want the best services but want to pay NOTHING for them that bothers me. I used to call them "bottom feeders" but I now think they are just looking for the bottom of the barrel and don't understand 2020 prices. They seem to think we are living in the 1950's or earlier.

Here is another review of YesVideo https://www.amazon.com/YesVideo-Vide...ews/B0000UXXS6 Not too good!

Thanks for all your comments. Be safe!
I understand you better now. And yes, it's more likely that Wal-Mart's third party company is doing the bare minimum to turn a profit.

It's frustrating to compete with the bottom of the barrel. Sticking to your guns is the smart way. Like you said, tape machines need repairs and servicing. There is no point in wearing them out for cheap b****ds!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Here is your competition. https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-and-pricing

People don't want to pay for quality so don't sell yourself on quality.
Or, perhaps even better, keep your prices high and market ON quality and hand-holding, repositioning your competition (Walmart, etc) by positioning yourself as a full-quality, high-value, professional service.

And, of course, as has been discussed in the past, I believe, make sure all your rates and fee schedules are available and readily understandable by those who don't have professional expertise and familiarity with the service/product tier.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump