The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A new round of goofy phone calls
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpe View Post
Unfortunately what you and he consider 'work' is viewed by many as a hobby.
Sitting around transferring VHS tapes in real time is someone's hobby?...ok then...

But let's let that pass and accept it as a reasonable suggestion.

So its someone's hobby to drive....they drive a Hyundai every day back and forth to work, but they aspire to drive on a race track...they can take their Hyundai to the track, but where's the fun in that?...they want to drive a Ferrari...time to rent a Ferrari for track day...what do you mean you expect payment for renting this ferrari?...I have a car, why should I pay you for this one?...what do you mean I need track lessons before you will let me loose on the track with this car?..I drive to work every day, I already know all there is to know about driving....

Clown world
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Got SIX (6), no make that 8 hang up phone calls this morning (just got two in a row as I was typing this). Hum and hiss on the other end then the call would hang up. Yesterday I got at least 8 more. I also got a call from a lady who would not let me talk. If I tried to talk she hung up and then called me right back. I think it was some type of robo call because she gave the same spiel every time I answered the phone. This went on for about two hours past 6 pm with about 12 calls in total. I finally let her talk and it was gibberish with no real message with just a bunch of words strung together. WTF are these people doing???? I also got a call this morning from the "Apple Company" saying that my computer was "polluting the internet and they needed to get access to it to "fix the problem" Very thick Asian accent. Two calls from Google ad words and someone looking for a recording studio so they could "come right over and do a recording". YUCK!!!

The Indian burial ground idea is starting to make more and more sense.
So your saying I should stop crank calling Acoustik Musik...

j/k - that sucks; I imagine you probably cringe when the phone rings...
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Polluting the internet....
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
Sitting around transferring VHS tapes in real time is someone's hobby?...ok then...

But let's let that pass and accept it as a reasonable suggestion.

So its someone's hobby to drive....they drive a Hyundai every day back and forth to work, but they aspire to drive on a race track...they can take their Hyundai to the track, but where's the fun in that?...they want to drive a Ferrari...time to rent a Ferrari for track day...what do you mean you expect payment for renting this ferrari?...I have a car, why should I pay you for this one?...what do you mean I need track lessons before you will let me loose on with this car?..I drive to work every day, I already know all there is to know about driving....

Clown world

When something is a hobby to someone, they may not understand it's a career/job/income-maker for someone else...
So, as a hobbiest, I might not grasp why what I do for free (albeit poorly) a professional would want to charge.
Wedding photos are a good example; I spent close to $5k 10+ years ago knowing they would be better than Uncle John with his camera... but we all know people that "are just having a friend do it" because its cheaper, and the quality is apparent.
Perception - what the client thinks you should do, or wants you do - is often a driving force behind issues such as this.
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Polluting the internet....
As if it needed help lol
Old 6th February 2020
Quote:
Unfortunately what you and he consider 'work' is viewed by many as a hobby. Not saying you guys don't work, but I can see how someone not knowledgeable on the industry might fail to make the distinction
As to his other concerns... just people being people... also OH
Let me be perfectly clear...

It is NOT a hobby and we have the proper equipment (Mac Pro, 4K Blackmagic video capture card and professional VHS players from Sony) We also use Adobe Premier and have a BluRay DVD recorder. Again it is NOT a HOBBY. All the equipment is maintained to professional standards and we have a lot of money invested so we can do a proper job with the client's materials. If you want to see our setup you can go to https://rwavproductions.com/ which is our website. FWIW
Old 6th February 2020
Quote:
So your saying I should stop crank calling Acoustik Musik...

j/k - that sucks; I imagine you probably cringe when the phone rings...
More than cringe. I am getting so tired of this BS it is starting to get to me physically and emotionally. I just hate to answer the phone anymore. I talked to friends in town and they are also getting a lot of phone calls that are annoying and are tying up their phones for no apparent reason. The one caller always calls at dinner time (6 to 7 pm) and says he represents the Local Firefighters and is looking for donations. It is a robo call and at the end if you want to donate you can push #1 and you will be connected to a "representative". The local fire department knows nothing about this and is getting tired of fielding calls from upset town's people. This CRAP has to end and soon. I am now getting SPAM phone calls on my cell phone and so I am getting charged for someone calling me to SPAM me. YUCK!~ and
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

I dunno...I build models as a hobby and am VERY WELL AWARE of the gulf between what I do and what someone like Phil Tippett does...and certainly wouldn't ask Phil to come paint my 1/650 scale USS Enterprise for $1.80...I think dooshbaggerry is dooshbaggerry, and one's failure to grasp reality does not absolve them of dooshbaggerry.. so back atcha
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:

It is NOT a hobby and we have the proper equipment (Mac Pro, 4K Blackmagic video capture card and professional VHS players from Sony) We also use Adobe Premier and have a BluRay DVD recorder. Again it is NOT a HOBBY. All the equipment is maintained to professional standards and we have a lot of money invested so we can do a proper job with the client's materials. If you want to see our setup you can go to https://rwavproductions.com/ which is our website. FWIW
No no no... you misunderstand; I know YOU - and quite a few people on here - are professionals (I am not). But it sounds like a lot of these potential clients don't understand the distinction.. sort of like how anyone, I guess, can call themselves a producer - so how is the average Joe supposed to know.
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I dunno...I build models as a hobby and am VERY WELL AWARE of the gulf between what I do and what someone like Phil Tippett does...and certainly wouldn't ask Phil to come paint my 1/650 scale USS Enterprise for $1.80...I think dooshbaggerry is dooshbaggerry, and one's failure to grasp reality does not absolve them of dooshbaggerry.. so back atcha
But, obviously, not everyone is enlightened as you.
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Which is a failure to grasp reality, and thus dooshbaggery... how is that my, or Thomas' fault?

Which seems to be the insinuation I'm railing against.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:

You ARE being perfectly clear (to those with eyes to see and ears to hear).

Before this little pissing contest started, I was pointing out to you that I found it interesting that the market seems to value format transfers at the same hourly rate as the cleaning folks who clean your joint.

I don't know if that's good or bad or right or wrong, but it occurs to me that you share more than an hourly rate with these other professionals:

For them, it's not a hobby either.

I'll bet they maintain their equipment to professional standards and invest money so they can do a proper job too.

...But I wonder if they get as many goofy phone calls?

I'm still not sure I've really got a point here. (But so what?)
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Which is a failure to grasp reality, and thus dooshbaggery... how is that my, or Thomas' fault?

Which seems to be the insinuation I'm railing against.
Never said it was anyone's fault; just pointing out people are generally dumb. From his posts he seems perplexed that the dumbness continues... but it's just people being people. Perhaps my 'hobby' analogy wasn't the best; people are cheap on top of being dumb, which could result in them not recognizing the professionals you are and the value you bring - they're probably thinking, 'Walmart can do it - and cheaply - how hard can it be?'
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Its funny... I am simultaneously never surprised by, and yet constantly amazed at, the stupidity of the average human.

12, I dont know your intent, but you come off like you enjoy rubbing someone's nose in the demise of the industry in which they earn their living...not a classy look
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I guess I am hoping that when someone calls it will be a potential client so I answer the phone.

I got a phone call last week from a very angry women who told me that "I have been trying to reach you for three days, don't you ever answer your phone?" I told her that when I am here I always answer the phone but when I am not here there is a answering machine on and people can leave me a message" She said "well I don't talk to machines and if you want people to use your services you should be around when someone needs to talk to you". She then went on to tell me "I have decided to use someone else as it is evident to me that you do not value new customers" and then she hung up.

I guess no matter what I do someone will not like it...FWIW
Why don't you hire a receptionist/secretary to answer calls for your Studio? It sounds like you're missing out on alot of potential business by not being available. And it would save you alot of time wasted on the Robocalls that you could use more productively.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

With all the $$ pouring in for those VHS transfers it should be easy to bring on more staff...
Old 8th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones View Post
Why don't you hire a receptionist/secretary to answer calls for your Studio? It sounds like you're missing out on alot of potential business by not being available. And it would save you alot of time wasted on the Robocalls that you could use more productively.
And who is going to pay for the receptionist/secretary?

Certainly NOT me.

Good idea but no way of implementing it due to cost(s).

Thanks anyway for the suggestion...
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones View Post
Why don't you hire a receptionist/secretary to answer calls for your Studio?
I don't know about Mr. Bethe, but I know why I myself have never done that:

They usually get a little more (per hour) than the cleaning crew.
Old 12th February 2020
Funny things happen...I was in the hospital recently for bacterial pneumonia and I got a phone call on the room telephone. Someone was looking for Frank. I told them there was no "Frank" here and hung up. About 20 minutes later the same caller called and asked for Frank. Again I told the caller there was no "Frank" here. This went on for almost two hours. During the final phone call the caller said "well when Frank shows up have him call me" and hung up. Then I got a call from someone asking how I had their "mother's cell phone that I was answering". I told them it was a land line and a hospital phone number. The person on the other end launches into a long diatribe about the hospital stealing her mother's cell phone. I said I knew nothing about it an hung up. Later that night I asked my nurse if the hospital was built on an Indian burial ground. She looked at me with a quizzical look. I explained the phone calls and she started laughing.

I keep hearing the theme music from "The Twilight Zone" more and more...
Old 12th February 2020
Quote:
We get a lot of referrals from people we have done work for in the past or from stores or businesses where we shop. They are trying to help us.

The clients who find us on the WWW are the ones that you are speaking of.

I don't want to use the analogy of the auto repair shop since it is a needed service and not a luxury like the services we provide but just for the sake of argument... I am walking downtown and see a piece of sculpture in the window of the local art gallery. It is not something I need but looks like something I would like so I walk into the shop and inquire as to how much is the Objet d'art and am told it cost $400.00. I can ask if there is a discount but I pretty much know there is not one. So do I get upset or start telling the shop owner that it is over priced, or what ever it is that people say to me when what they want to pay is not what I am charging? No instead I say thank you and walk out of the store. The same thing can happen at a Costco. I see a new TV and it cost $1,000.00 I can ask if there is a sale or a discount but the reality is that if I want the TV (I don't NEED the TV) I will have to pay what Costco wants me to pay or I cannot purchase it. I can ask to see a manager and tell him that the product (the TV) is overpriced but I am pretty sure, unless I can prove to him that I can get it elsewhere for less, that he or she will tell me that in order for me to buy the TV I need to pay the price asked. That is what I don't understand about our potential clientele. The prices we charge are MORE THAN REASONABLE and we don't try to rip people off. Why is it so hard for people to just accept the prices we charge for our services and why do they all seem to think that they are being ripped off.

To hire a cleaning person in our town cost about $25.00 per hour which is the same price we charge for transfer work. I have $150,000 invested in my mastering and restoration suite the cleaning person has maybe $250.00 invested in a bucket, mop, rags and vacuum cleaner and yet people seem to be OK with hiring them but not us. I give up...

FWIW!!!
First, that sounds like a very reasonable rate. I haven't shopped around for such services around here (So. California) but I believe the rates would be a fair bit more.

With nuisance customers of this type, you might want to refer them to another vendor as soon as you get the whiff of time-wasting naivete on their part; maybe something like the mail-order oriented DVDYourMemories.

But it definitely sounds like you need to develop a quick, graceful way of avoiding this type of client.
Old 13th February 2020
Wednesday and Thursday - 28 phone calls (the last call was at 8 pm on Thursday) from "Apple Tech Support" saying there is a problem with my "cloud account". (I called the "real Apple tech support and this is a SCAM). I got upset with the last caller and called him a couple of names that I cannot say on GS. He slammed the phone in my ear. 7 phone calls from Google Ad words. 4 calls that when I answered hung up. A phone call about janitorial services for my "plant" and a phone call about providing me a new VOIP phone system.

Five emails from restaurants and clothing manufactures welcoming me as a new customer and thanking me for registering with them (which I never did).

<The calls from the "FAKE" Apple Tech Support are all from different phone numbers so I don't know how to stop them.>

This is REALLY getting out of hand...

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 14th February 2020 at 02:05 PM..
Old 13th February 2020
This has been an enlightening thread. So many jobs are getting automated out. It was happening to blue collar assembly lines, and now it's moving into call centers, customer service, and even fast food and grocery stores. With the rise of AI there isn't a clear line where it ends either. Capitalism is headed into a strange future for the middle class.

As far as the BS phone calls go we need an administration that cares more about consumer advocacy than corporate money, so if you want an FCC that protects your sanity you're going to have to vote in a new regime.
Trying to keep politics out of this, but the current FCC truly is garbage.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Thats what happens when you value capital above anything human or moral. The end result of civilization (before machines completely take over) will be a small handful of powerful cloned elite families, having every aspect of their life taken care of by intelligent robots.

At some point genetics and improper breeding coupled with insane AI weaponry will spell their downfall. At which point robot society will become homogenous and the takeover will be complete.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux View Post
The end result of civilization (before machines completely take over) will be a small handful of powerful cloned elite families, having every aspect of their life taken care of by intelligent robots.
I'm getting a jump on the game by training my iRobot Roomba robot vacuum cleaner to bring me Tequila.

The results here appear to be very promising!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search