Dumb Ebay practice from a major retailer
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Dumb Ebay practice from a major retailer

Pitbull Audio.

Mic Buy It Now price: $115
There's a Best Offer option: I submit $105
I get a counteroffer: $114.

In my book that's freaking idiotic and plain disrespectful to buyers.

Clown business.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

How is it being disrespectful?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlappyD00 View Post
How is it being disrespectful?
If you don't see it, I can't explain it to you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
If you don't see it, I can't explain it to you.
Or maybe you can't back up the assertion.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The problem I see here is that you appear to feel like this retail business should automatically afford you some level of respect as a potential buyer - and failing to do so is a complete show of disrespect. But what exactly have you done to deserve such respect from these people?

Regardless of good or bad sales practices, people who would rage out over the internet over a $9 discount aren't exactly the sort of people I'd hold in any kind of esteem either.

Last edited by FlappyD00; 4 weeks ago at 06:58 AM.. Reason: added word
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Or maybe you can't back up the assertion.
I'm not the kind of person who thinks spending time on making an offer is worth saving a dollar. On anything. Not to mention on something that costs more than a hundred. Dumb all the way around. Maybe ok for a poor 3rd world farmer who makes $4 a month. But for a major retailer? Low class.

They should just not offer Best Offer, that's all. Or price it at 114 at Buy it Now. Don't see any reason for this $1 game. Strange that you're defending it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I live about 15 mins away from Pitbull Audio and have spent probably ~$4k there in the last five years. They've discounted items on pretty much every transaction, have a rewards program that allows you to earn $25 discounts on future purchases, and hosts product demos. Safe to say, I've felt respected as a customer every time; of course, I haven't tried to quibble over $10
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm not the kind of person who thinks spending time on making an offer is worth saving a dollar. On anything. Not to mention on something that costs more than a hundred. Dumb all the way around. Maybe ok for a poor 3rd world farmer who makes $4 a month. But for a major retailer? Low class.

They should just not offer Best Offer, that's all. Or price it at 114 at Buy it Now. Don't see any reason for this $1 game. Strange that you're defending it.
I'll agree that the $1 bit is kinda ridiculous - not defending that.

What I was doing was questioning the accusation of them being disrespectful merely because you disagree with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'll agree that the $1 bit is kinda ridiculous - not defending that.

What I was doing was questioning the accusation of them being disrespectful merely because you disagree with it.
I see it as a tease and a middle finger. It's like, ok, you spent all this time (even if a minute) filling out that best offer form, you sent it to us, you waited, hoped for a deal, but we'll just tell you 10 hours later "no, the price is the same, but we'll give you an equivalent of 3 hard candy for your time".

That's disrespectful.

99.999% of ebay best offers from major retailers at least allow for 5% or more. When I have time to wait I always use that and if the price is above $100 expect to at least get 5 bucks. Don't really need it, but use it anyway, why not, it just feels good.

This is the 1st one out a hundred that did that. Just pissed me off so bad. If they didn't have the Best Offer I'd probably just pull the trigger on a BIN price of $115. But after this all they deserve is a picture of my unwiped butt after I take a dump.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

With that kind of attitude I'd raise the price.

Just for you.

Anyways, I'm out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Attitude. Some peoples minds work in mysterious ways.
Old 4 weeks ago
We used to get people all the time on our Ebay store who would offer $5.00 for a $500.00 item. Why would anyone do that??? Do they think that I am going to simply lose $495.00 or do they think that somehow I will make a mistake and take their offer??? We now use an Ebay app that allows us to set a minimum price for the item and will not let ridiculously low bids get to us. People want a WALMART world where everything is PREMIUM quality but you don't have to pay a premium for it. In the case sited above the store was being a bit "dishonest" if they were offering to allow users to make a bid and then only drop the price by a dollar. Maybe it had some type of built in checker to see how much merchandise a buyer had purchased before they let the price be reduced. In today's wonderful world of computers anything is possible. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I see it as a tease and a middle finger. It's like, ok, you spent all this time (even if a minute) filling out that best offer form, you sent it to us, you waited, hoped for a deal, but we'll just tell you 10 hours later "no, the price is the same, but we'll give you an equivalent of 3 hard candy for your time".
Actually they've comp'ed you a dollar a minute for your efforts, that's $60 an hour, not too shabby. Maybe you overvalue your time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've found (with that dealer specifically even) that if you send in offers and tell them you want to bundle a few things together, they're much more likely to give you a decent discount. I'm guessing they just default every listing to have offers? I think I bought a lot of my cabling from PitBull as they had some good deals going at the time. I had 3 or 4 things I needed, so I sent them an offer on the most expensive thing saying I also wanted to grab a few other items.

It's all a game, you have to get better at playing! I expect stuff like this from retailers on new stuff. I'm with you though, sometimes when they reply with a $1 off or something, I just move on to someone else. What really gets me is the guys selling used items that counter like that. Why bother accepting offers?

Last edited by andersmv; 4 weeks ago at 05:49 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
With that kind of attitude I'd raise the price.
With lowball offers on both platforms, I simply don't respond. When the lowball offer comes with a list of reasons why my item is worthless, I raise the price to a million bucks. Free shipping. :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Free, good quality apps on smart devices is when I noticed a major shift towards entitlement. People were getting something really good at no cost. But guess what? They then complained about the ads and refused to pay the $1-3 cost to have an advertisement free experience!!!

This was around the years 2007 to 2008. The world hasn't been the same since.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm not "entitled", that's an inane assumption.

I never low-ball anybody. 'Best Offer' to me means the seller is NOT firm on the price. I don't think asking for extra 5-10% off is low-balling. If they responded even with $5 off I'd happily take it, this way they get what they want and I feel better knowing I earned myself a free Starbucks coffee. But if your wiggle room is less than 1% just set the damn price firm otherwise you get people mad. Over an equivalent of a cup of coffee.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I'm not "entitled", that's an inane assumption.

I never low-ball anybody. 'Best Offer' to me means the seller is NOT firm on the price. I don't think asking for extra 5-10% off is low-balling. If they responded even with $5 off I'd happily take it, this way they get what they want and I feel better knowing I earned myself a free Starbucks coffee. But if your wiggle room is less than 1% just set the damn price firm otherwise you get people mad. Over an equivalent of a cup of coffee.
So by your own admission you're this upset over a cup a coffee... crap starbucks coffee no less.

Ever think that 'best offer' could go the other way? Why not offer $116 - at least then you wouldn't sound as entitled if they declined; or is that only for your benefit?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpe View Post
So by your own admission you're this upset over a cup a coffee... crap starbucks coffee no less.

Ever think that 'best offer' could go the other way? Why not offer $116 - at least then you wouldn't sound as entitled if they declined; or is that only for your benefit?
I'll give you some time to reread and digest what you just wrote there ^^^.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I'll give you some time to reread and digest what you just wrote there ^^^.
You're complaining - whining, really - because someone didn't drop the price enough to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. Most people would either buy it at the price offered, or not - not complain on the internet. Obviously my comment was somewhat in jest; apologies if it didn't appear that way - perhaps your entitlement got in the way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpe View Post
You're complaining - whining, really - because someone didn't drop the price enough to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. Most people would either buy it at the price offered, or not - not complain on the internet. Obviously my comment was somewhat in jest; apologies if it didn't appear that way - perhaps your entitlement got in the way.
This is the moan zone. What the heck are you doing here?

Your defending of that is utterly absurd as well as your arguments. Must be from California or something... I'm not going to enter any kind of conversation with you, there's a certain type of people I never get involved in any kind of argument. You know, the one, that just... must... be... on the... opposite... side... no... matter... what.

Gonna bow out of this thread, don't really care about this anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
This is the moan zone.

Gonna bow out of this thread, don't really care about this anymore.
If I get upset and want to post something I usually wait a day or so before posting it. Most times after waiting one or two days, I don't post it. In this case maybe if you thought about it some more you would not have posted it.

Companies today do all kinds of advertising to lure people in. They say things like "no reasonable offer refused" and then refuse any offers but of course the buyer has no way of knowing what they would consider reasonable.

It is called "advertising" and sometimes the "advertiser" says things they really don't mean. Buyer beware!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
It is called "advertising" and sometimes the "advertiser" says things they really don't mean. Buyer beware!
And people assume, I think, that because certain kinds of marketing are highly regulated that all of it is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search