The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FXpansion still can't deliver drivers for Catalina.
Old 1st January 2020
FXpansion still can't deliver drivers for Catalina.

From the FXpansion Forum:

Quote:
FXpansion is not a small one-man software company. It looks like they have cut back on programmers and produced code that is difficult to maintain. There is no other way to explain this disaster, there is really no excuse for it. Other companies with much more complex systems, such as RME, for example, have managed to get it done in a flash. This is very bad management and planning style of FXpansion. If I want to use the software professionally, it simply has to work in a timely manner. It's a shame for a company like FXpansion. Drivers are not rocket science, unless the code was previously so overloaded and unstructured that this now becomes a problem. But that is then far away from "professional". I hope FXpansion learns from this in the future. BFD3 is by far the best sampler in terms of sound. It would be a pity if this all goes down the drain, just because FXpansion doesn't do its homework in the software properly.
I'd be willing to pay $50 driver/update fee if FXpansion would get a software engineer to clean up the code and get new drivers. Before anyone asks, I am a software engineer myself.

Sorry for my rant. But I had to set up a new Mac for a project and diddn't see it coming that BFD3 STILL has no proper drivers for Catalina. So I have to downgrade to Mojave.
https://fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopi...&start=45#wrap

This says it all.
Old 22nd February 2020
There is still no progress. FXpansion/Roli don't even get an audio driver anymore. Still no progress! The frustrated and ripped off customers already give each other tips for alternatives in the BFD-Forum! I have never experienced anything so unprofessional. First they sell the software in offers and then they can't get the audio driver right. Roli you are amateurs!

https://fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopi...9d46&start=120
Old 23rd February 2020
I'm afraid the future doesn't look bright for Roli and FXPansion by extent: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...runch-5m-debt/

Hopefully they can turn that around, would be a shame to see those products sink.
Old 23rd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
I'm afraid the future doesn't look bright for Roli and FXPansion by extent: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...runch-5m-debt/

Hopefully they can turn that around, would be a shame to see those products sink.
Oh no, BFD has the best unprocessed drum sounds on the market. Apple, please buy BFD!
Old 23rd February 2020
If this wasn't already in the Moan Zone, I probably wouldn't post this... but...

No drivers for Catalina? Well, there aren't really all that many roads...

Good look to you guys! I own the original BFD but I found it too expensive [for my purposes] to augment and too limited in its original package. But a real interesting soft instrument that obviously influenced other virtual drum instrument packages greatly.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Okay, BFD3 has been broken long enough. I'm afraid they've crossed the Rubicon into the land of lost customer trust. What a terrible shame after investing so much in their platform. Has anyone heard of any competitive cross-grade offers? You'd think another ambitious brand might be delighted to relieve BFD of some anguished users.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
Oh no, BFD has the best unprocessed drum sounds on the market. Apple, please buy BFD!
Wouldn't mind that as I think they did a good job with Alchemy but OTOH that would alienate the Windows users and likely kill/streamline the products as we know.
Old 10th March 2020
Here for the gear

Same issue. Can't run BFD3 after upgrading to Catalina. I own BFD2 and 3 and all kinds of expansion packs. In fact, my company created several.
Old 13th March 2020
Gear Guru

I'm able to get functional with BFD3 standalone on Catalina, but it's not pretty. But, at least I can do it and generate stems that can be imported into my DAW. I might have been happy to work that way maybe 15 years ago, so, it's something.

They're promising an update in "a few weeks". Keeping my fingers crossed, because I have a lot invested in BFD3, and I still think it's a fantastic tool with great sample packs. We'll see.
Old 18th March 2020
THEY DID IT!

BFD3 V.3.3.1.31 (macOS ONLY) Mac is now available!

But:

"BFD3 has been disabled because The license file is corrupt"

While the lic. manager show BFD3 is authorized. DAMM This is an ancient BFD error!

Last edited by Doc No; 18th March 2020 at 09:07 PM..
Old 19th March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
THEY DID IT!

BFD3 V.3.3.1.31 (macOS ONLY) Mac is now available!

But:

"BFD3 has been disabled because The license file is corrupt"

While the lic. manager show BFD3 is authorized. DAMM This is an ancient BFD error!
I downloaded v3.3.1.31 and so far it has worked perfectly on Catalina, both in standalone and as a plugin.

Never saw the license file corruption error. Did you open a support case?
Old 23rd March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I downloaded v3.3.1.31 and so far it has worked perfectly on Catalina, both in standalone and as a plugin.

Never saw the license file corruption error. Did you open a support case?
It is working now. I had to remove the serials from the license-manager and reopen BFD-3.
Old 21st April 2020
BFD is changing hands once again: inMusic Acquires BFD
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
BFD is changing hands once again: inMusic Acquires BFD
I was wondering if I should drop BFD, after seeing this thread a while ago and the rather resource hog it was on my previous system. But since :
- I reinstalled last month BFD2 without a single problem on my new setup, and the behavior is like night and day, even with a heavy kit loaded (I guess that SSDs make almost all the difference). And I still like a lot the sounds I get from it : far better than Groove Agent SE, with much more tuning and tweaking options to work with, no matter the context...
- The purchase by inMusic couldn't be bad, I think, even if I admit that I don't know it, really. I just saw the list of brands it has and there are several quite known : Akai, M-Audio, Alesis, Sonivox, Marantz, Denon...
At the end, I am considering a BFD3 upgrade again, so much I like the previous one...
Old 25th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
I was wondering if I should drop BFD, after seeing this thread a while ago and the rather resource hog it was on my previous system. But since :
- I reinstalled last month BFD2 without a single problem on my new setup, and the behavior is like night and day, even with a heavy kit loaded (I guess that SSDs make almost all the difference). And I still like a lot the sounds I get from it : far better than Groove Agent SE, with much more tuning and tweaking options to work with, no matter the context...
- The purchase by inMusic couldn't be bad, I think, even if I admit that I don't know it, really. I just saw the list of brands it has and there are several quite known : Akai, M-Audio, Alesis, Sonivox, Marantz, Denon...
At the end, I am considering a BFD3 upgrade again, so much I like the previous one...
Gee, BFD3 has been out for a long time. I haven't had to tweak any of the parameters since BFD2 on Windows 7, which was, I dunno, 7 years ago for me, at least. Yeah, it's all about disk performance, but anything in the last several years is typically more than adequate.
Old 26th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Gee, BFD3 has been out for a long time. I haven't had to tweak any of the parameters since BFD2 on Windows 7, which was, I dunno, 7 years ago for me, at least. Yeah, it's all about disk performance, but anything in the last several years is typically more than adequate.
Yep, I'm the legacy/antiquated VSTis guardian...

More seriously, the instruments I have are often sufficient for my needs : if I enjoy playing and using one, I stick with it, more or less afraid to update it, unless there is a real need to do so (OS version dropped support and/or significative improvements...), being more or less paranoid about eventual things such as library modifications, incompatibilities, business model/copy protection changes, authorization issues, etc... The last one I bought was Lounge Lizard, several months ago. And I've been considering Omnisphere since years, but still didn't act : not sure that it will add something truely useful to my arsenal, yet.

More specifically about BFD3, it seems that there are enough of things that could justify an upgrade. But at the time I'll decide myself and act, BFD4 will probably be available...
Old 26th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
More specifically about BFD3, it seems that there are enough of things that could justify an upgrade. But at the time I'll decide myself and act, BFD4 will probably be available...
Yeah, well, we can always hope.

They have sales periodically. You may find it's worth your while. BFD2 was great, though, and plenty capable of doing the job.
Old 7th May 2020
Decided to go back to BFD3 for a project because I had some good expansions that are perfect for this job, but damn...it's buggy and a lot less stable than Superior Drummer 3. FWIW, that's on Mac Mojave/PT 2020.

InMusic needs to do some catching up...
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Decided to go back to BFD3 for a project because I had some good expansions that are perfect for this job, but damn...it's buggy and a lot less stable than Superior Drummer 3. FWIW, that's on Mac Mojave/PT 2020.

InMusic needs to do some catching up...
InMusic has a lot of money for product development. And they pretty much just bought, "the sample library."

They could care less about the way the actual plugin architecture, etc, etc... Its basically a house that is about to get a gut reno.

I'm just hoping that BFD 4 is released as a vst without needing, "an Akai," whatever...

Going to be a $200 crossgrade I am sure.

But knowing InMusic and how they do things... BFD 4 is going to sizzle
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear