The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Selling guitars is the worst.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Selling guitars is the worst.

GAS is flaring up again, meaning some gear is on its way out. More precisely, guitar stuff is out as I'm going back to the electronic side.

I'm currently in my third month of having my Strat listed on Craigslist. It's a beat-up American Strat, listed for a pretty smokin' deal (less than a new MIM). In the time I've had it up, I've had two flake-outs, two low-ball trade offers (Epiphone), and one low-ball cash offer. Didn't know it was that hard to get rid of a Strat - or maybe it's just that the market for guitars is that soft?

I tried to make the most of the situation, play it while I still got it. But I just can't fool myself into clicking with it, into wanting to keep it for much longer. With no desire to play it, it now represents tied-up cash and wasted space.

I'd still rather slash the price until it screams than sell online. Selling online means shipping, and packing a guitar to survive a cross-country voyage of getting kicked around by shipping services (as well as the alternative of the guitar being destroyed in shipping) is a special level of hell.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

link
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

This is what happens when the artist driving guitar sales is Taylor swift.

Last edited by raggedman; 7th December 2019 at 11:56 PM..
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
Selling online means shipping, and packing a guitar to survive a cross-country voyage of getting kicked around by shipping services (as well as the alternative of the guitar being destroyed in shipping) is a special level of hell.
With a Fender solid-body you have very little to worry about in that regard. They're very rugged. And if the buyer is amenable, you can even unbolt the neck and ship it for less money in a surprisingly small box.
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear
Craigslist has turned into complete garbage (not that it was ever a paradise, but it used to be tolerable as a local option).
Nowadays it is almost one hundred percent scammers (very obvious ones at that) and low ballers.
That's from a sellers perspective.
From a buyers perspective, it is a bunch of people trying to get absolute top dollar for used junk.
For vintage stuff they seem to set their prices at the most expensive price they've ever seen that item listed for elsewhere online (as they assume listing and selling prices are the same).
And for items that are still available in stores they seem to think a 10% discount is a really great deal for something used, in questionable condition, and with absolutely no return policy available.

In short, Craigslist is dead.
And unfortunately there really isn't a good alternative for local transactions. Which is a shame for me because I live in LA, and one of the benefits of living in a very large city is that there is an abundance of availability. But sadly everyone buys and sells in far away places, which is inefficient and costly.

My wife tells me that the Facebook marketplace is like the new Craigslist and probably what has sucked all of the life out of Craigslist in the first place. But unfortunately I have been adamantly opposed to almost all things social media from day one and the developments of the past decade have done nothing but validate my instincts in that regard.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
... I have been adamantly opposed to almost all things social media from day one...
Yet here you are.
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yet here you are.
A forum like this (a "message board") is no more social media than a chimpanzee is my brother (regardless of the uncanny resemblance).

Once you see me posting pictures of what I am presumably about to eat eat for dinner, while screaming tribal, political insults at my coworkers uncle, then you will have a point.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
A forum like this (a "message board") is no more social media than a chimpanzee is my brother (regardless of the uncanny resemblance).

Once you see me posting pictures of what I am presumably about to eat eat for dinner, while screaming tribal, political insults at my coworkers uncle, then you will have a point.
Well-said! (is that still a socially-acceptable phrase? don't care, just curious...)
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Come to think of it, GS really is closer to Anti-social Media a lot of the time. So you make a very good... w-w-w-wait! Goddammit! Your brother just stole my banana!
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Your computer/phone screen is a medium for communication of information i.e Media. Media is actually the plural of the word Medium.

You are interacting socially on that particular medium (computer/net/gearslutz).

That makes it social media. It might not be full of selfies and pictures of ice cream, but it is still a form of social media.
Old 9th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux View Post
Your computer/phone screen is a medium for communication of information i.e Media. Media is actually the plural of the word Medium.

You are interacting socially on that particular medium (computer/net/gearslutz).

That makes it social media. It might not be full of selfies and pictures of ice cream, but it is still a form of social media.
Logically, when defined like that you’re very correct.

In practice, it’s not what the world recognised as “social media”. It’s a bulletin board, or an internet forum.

Think of it how you will, but it’s easier if you align with the status quo where definitions are involved - that way everyone understands each other.
Old 9th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
Taylor Swift can be blamed for a lot of things, but the human race being a bit flaky I’m not sure is totally fair.

If someone cheaps out on another purchase - an interface, a cheap karaoke mic or something - who’s fault is that?!
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

I didn't blame her for a damn thing...I simply stated that if she is what is driving guitar sales it's no wonder that it's hard to sell a guitar...ask Gibson about how hard it is to sell a guitar these days
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Think of it how you will, but it’s easier if you align with the status quo where definitions are involved - that way everyone understands each other.
I gotta disagree with you here. Let me provide some examples:

-On FB/IG you can make a post, and people can start a thread of comments or replies on that post.
-On gearslutz you can make a post/thread, and people can start a chain of comments and replies on that thread.

-FB/IG has user accounts. These accounts have personal info, as well as allow other users to view:post history, comment history etc.
-Gearslutz has user accounts that allow you to see basic user information, including post history. The major difference here is that FB uses your supposed real name, while gearslutz is an anonymouse username (although your IP is still logged). Although users like Brent Hahn use their real name, and plenty of users link their personal or professional websites in their signature.

-FB/IG has “news”, as well as status updates from businesses you follow as well as individual people
-Gearslutz has numerous “news” or “updates” threads in the world of audio and musical gear. You can comment on, and discuss these news posts with other users to your hearts content.

-People on FB/IG post pictures of what they are doing, new clothes or personal items purchased... the list goes on. Other users can then comment and post on this picture.
-People on Gearslutz can post pictures of their gear on “post pictures of your gear”-threads. Other users can then comment on those pictures, and post pictures of their own.

I could do more but you get the idea

I completely understand your point, but I still disagree. An online message board may be a “white bread” version but it is still very much social media. There are pictures, videos, updates, social and intellectual discussion between users, etc etc.

What you are describing is “shifting goalposts” where we keep re-normalizing a concept every generation and lose sight of original meanings or definitions.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Guru

Another thing GS has in common with the bigger mainstream social media platforms is that it's both funded by marketing and permeated with it (in the guise of participation).
Old 10th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux View Post
I gotta disagree with you here. Let me provide some examples:

-On FB/IG you can make a post, and people can start a thread of comments or replies on that post.
-On gearslutz you can make a post/thread, and people can start a chain of comments and replies on that thread.

-FB/IG has user accounts. These accounts have personal info, as well as allow other users to view:post history, comment history etc.
-Gearslutz has user accounts that allow you to see basic user information, including post history. The major difference here is that FB uses your supposed real name, while gearslutz is an anonymouse username (although your IP is still logged). Although users like Brent Hahn use their real name, and plenty of users link their personal or professional websites in their signature.

-FB/IG has “news”, as well as status updates from businesses you follow as well as individual people
-Gearslutz has numerous “news” or “updates” threads in the world of audio and musical gear. You can comment on, and discuss these news posts with other users to your hearts content.

-People on FB/IG post pictures of what they are doing, new clothes or personal items purchased... the list goes on. Other users can then comment and post on this picture.
-People on Gearslutz can post pictures of their gear on “post pictures of your gear”-threads. Other users can then comment on those pictures, and post pictures of their own.

I could do more but you get the idea

I completely understand your point, but I still disagree. An online message board may be a “white bread” version but it is still very much social media. There are pictures, videos, updates, social and intellectual discussion between users, etc etc.

What you are describing is “shifting goalposts” where we keep re-normalizing a concept every generation and lose sight of original meanings or definitions.
I’m really not going to argue the point. You call it what you want!
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My wife tells me that the Facebook marketplace is like the new Craigslist and probably what has sucked all of the life out of Craigslist in the first place. But unfortunately I have been adamantly opposed to almost all things social media from day one and the developments of the past decade have done nothing but validate my instincts in that regard.
Your wife is correct.
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

The Strat actually sold. I decided to take the lowball this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
Isn't she pretty much electronic music these days?

Nothing wrong with electronic music being dominant in the mainstream now, we wouldn't have the analog renaissance otherwise and I wouldn't be active on the electronic musical instruments board here.

Quote:
My local Facebook Marketplace is deader than my local Craigslist.

While trying to sell my DX7 (ran out of space for keyboards) on there, I ended up with a no-show. Rather than lug it back home, I traded it to a used musical instrument store for the same price the no-show offered me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search