The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moogfest Cancelled
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Nut

Moogfest Cancelled

Moog just announced the cancellation of Moogfest citing logistical reasons (link).

Does anyone know anything else beyond the official press release? Kind of disappointing, I'm always interested in seeing what Moog has been working on. Hope everything is okay in Asheville.
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I doubt this has anything to do with the health of Moog as a company overall, but probably decreasing attendance and competition from other festivals.
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear
Uli has a replacement ready, in a shed down the road
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Addict

And so it begins.
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Nut
They should focus less on politics, and more on the instruments and technology.
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Uli has a replacement ready, in a shed down the road
Yeah you won’t have to pay a lot to get in and you’ll walk away with less butt hurt!
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

They didnt say it would be the end of Moog. They said that the worst case scenario was that they would move the manufacturing (assembly) part of their operation overseas.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

If Behringer could buy Moog it would be such a beautifull thing, win win for everyone !!
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
They should focus less on politics, and more on the instruments and technology.
Get woke go broke

That aside, I hope the company is doing ok. Hopefully they continue to branch out from making the same synth over and over.

Love the new grandmother etc series.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Nut

While I can only shake my head at all the politically motivated doomsaying going on in this thread, I can't imagine this is a good thing for the company. As someone who has owned dozens of Moog products over the years (both synths and pedals), this is really unfortunate.

Speculating about a corporation's financials is always a mug's game, but I've been worried since the launch of the Moog One. It just felt like such a Spruce Goose of a project: an uber synth priced like a used car that no one was really expecting or even asking for. I think they would have been far better served had they just released a 6 voice poly in the vein of the P6/OB6. Had they priced it even semi-competitively ($2800-3500), they would have been back ordered for months.

Regardless, I hope all the best for the future of the company. I've absolutely loved the ingenuity and quality of the new Mother line and was hoping for new developments in that vein.
Old 6th December 2019
Moogfest used to be every other year, it’s a return to form.

I was at Moogfest 19, it was absolutely packed.

2019 was the first year they switched to a new event planning company, and while the fest was great, the coordination from the 3rd party company was not so great.

There is literally nothing that indicates that Moog is hurting financially, I work for a very large musical instrument retailer and Moog does gangbusters in sales, so I’m more informed than Grasspike on this.

Behringer is not gonna put Moog out of business, nor are they eating into Moog’s sales. And I just don’t have the time or energy to break down the extremely obvious reasons why.

Lastly, Uli and Behringer may throw their own music fest that would probably be more of a general music fest since Behringer is a multifaceted company despite most of us only dwelling the Synth section of this site.

Moogfest is primarily focused on Synthesizer and Electronic music.

There’s nothing wrong with Behri Synths, but the idiotic notion that B is cutting into Moogs sales/ will buy them/ Moog is going bankrupt is beyond uninformed.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake View Post
Speculating about a corporation's financials is always a mug's game, but I've been worried since the launch of the Moog One. It just felt like such a Spruce Goose of a project: an uber synth priced like a used car that no one was really expecting or even asking for. I think they would have been far better served had they just released a 6 voice poly in the vein of the P6/OB6. Had they priced it even semi-competitively ($2800-3500), they would have been back ordered for months.
But that implies they havent sold as many as they need to for profitability, and I find that impossible to judge, I just have no way to get actual numbers. They surely knew the Moog One would not be something that sells in really high quantities so its not like they needed to sell as many of them as they do $1000-ish dollar synths to make the endeavour worthwhile.

Also, the Grandmother looked like a great big success, and well run companies should be able to balance the occasional commercial failure of a product with the commercial success of other items in their lineup.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

The Matriarch has been a runaway success and many people's synth of the year. That should keep the company ticking over nicely for a while, just to begin with.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
But that implies they havent sold as many as they need to for profitability, and I find that impossible to judge, I just have no way to get actual numbers. They surely knew the Moog One would not be something that sells in really high quantities so its not like they needed to sell as many of them as they do $1000-ish dollar synths to make the endeavour worthwhile.

Also, the Grandmother looked like a great big success, and well run companies should be able to balance the occasional commercial failure of a product with the commercial success of other items in their lineup.
Pure (perhaps unfair) speculation on my part. Who knows if the One has hurt Moog's bottom line. It just seemed like they somewhat rushed the release, which coupled with all the fan/cpu issues as well as the recent tariffs, probably cut into expectations.

I will say that the idea that Moog's relatively token political gestures have in any way hurt sales is laughable. They've done nothing more "radical" than companies like Target, Starbucks or AT&T.

Hopefully, it is just a matter of scheduling/logistics and not an indication of any financial distress.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pure (perhaps unfair) speculation on my part. Who knows if the One has hurt Moog's bottom line. It just seemed like they somewhat rushed the release, which coupled with all the fan/cpu issues as well as the recent tariffs, probably cut into expectations.

I will say that the idea that Moog's relatively token political gestures have in any way hurt sales is laughable. They've done nothing more "radical" than companies like Target, Starbucks or AT&T.

Hopefully, it is just a matter of scheduling/logistics and not an indication of any financial distress.
There are so many variables, I like to speculate but without inside info I'm unlikely to come up with an accurate picture.

I mean I have to include aspects such as the idea that sometimes companies create a flagship product for reasons other than how much profit they can make directly from that product. eg there may be other perceived benefits such as brand image and reputation. And much like Apple the Moog premium is part of the brand, they want some big ticket items for reasons including the psychology of things like perceived quality and resulting perceived value, which affects how much they can charge across their range. Of course that means these things can also suffer if a product doesnt end up with a good reputation, ends up heavily discounted etc.

As for the politics, yeah, and thats not even the only angle thats already happened in this thread that makes me think its not going to go well. Moogs future is brighter than this threads!
Old 6th December 2019
That's what they get for not releasing the Subharmonicon or Spectravox. At least we won't have another addition to their most successful line that they refuse to sell to anyone.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsk View Post
calm down snowflakes
I couldn't be further from a "snowflake" if I tried.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Head
Now I'm worried. Should I buy a giant Moog modular before they go bust?
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsnazzy View Post
Now I'm worried. Should I buy a giant Moog modular before they go bust?
No.

You should buy a giant Moog modular because they're freaking awesome!

Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear
Well... I have question...
I have worked for many rich people, I was lucky enough that they knew I could make money for them.

I mean the employer put all the money, he is taking all the financial risks.

It was never my job to to tell him how to spend his money.
Old 6th December 2019
I gotta love the logic of this thread though...
“Moogfest cancelled for logistical reasons”

Response: “Then Behringer will buy Moog!!!”

Takes a real special kind of stupid...
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

What ridiculous fearmongering.

They’re a bunch of creative engineers, not Coachella.

Festivals are a bigger risk than a moneymaker, and the company probably had very little involvement with operations.

All this cheering is juvenile and weird.
Old 6th December 2019
This isn't the first time Moogfest has taken a break (2009, 2013, 2015), and not the first time Moogfest had problems. Moogfest 2019 barely came together in time and that was due to issues with the group that sprang out of the previous show organizer. Moogfest is its own department within Moog Music and generally partners with external groups to put on the show.

There's no reason to assume that this has anything to do with Moog's core business. And if they felt that pushing a 2020 show under circumstances similar to last year would negatively impact their core business, then good for them (and their customers) for cancelling.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
If Behringer could buy Moog it would be such a beautifull thing, win win for everyone !!
No, it would not. Let me rephrase that.

HELL NO it would not!
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Addict

Which would be worse: Behringer buying Moog or Moog buying Behringer?

Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Creative engineers,
and dangerous snowflakes,
woke in a spruce goose festival.
The shed is broke,
juvenile and weird,
at least it is lucky enough to work for rich people.
A real special kind of stupid.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear
Well, no poor person ever gave me a job.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Well, no poor person ever gave me a job.
You need to go to the red light districts for that
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Presales were so over the top strong, that they had a hard time meeting the initial demand and were struggling for production to fulfill the purchases for a good long while. They are still selling them as fast as they can make them, FUD notwithstanding.
If anything the One was and continues to be a boon to the company.

Trade wars loom large, as does the market share grabbed by low end clones, some of which are undeniably great sounding.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search