The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Quantum offtopic
Old 23rd November 2019
Waldorf Quantum offtopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Kindly, do we really need repeating this for the 100-th time in this thread over and over again? How many times is it enough? If you are so into analog stereo filters, please go here and buy this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sherman_filterbank_2.htm - and be done with it already . . .
I actually own a Sherman Filterbank 2. I thought it was more of a distortion-box (I obviously haven't used it much). Could you describe briefly a general approach to using the FB2 with the Quantum's outputs?
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kindly, do we really need repeating this for the 100-th time in this thread over and over again? How many times is it enough? If you are so into analog stereo filters, please go here and buy this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sherman_filterbank_2.htm - and be done with it already. Nothing personal, but it's just getting a bit tiresome, and even slightly irritating. Thanks!
thats mono, maybe you meant this.
Old 24th November 2019
Sh*it. You're right. I need TWO!
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
thats mono, maybe you meant this.
Or this one, where you can also save your settings
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Noize View Post
Or this one, where you can also save your settings
some folks are using this with great effect, not even touching the distortion. the tame side of this little box is glue.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kindly, do we really need repeating this for the 100-th time in this thread over and over again? How many times is it enough? If you are so into analog stereo filters, please go here and buy this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sherman_filterbank_2.htm - and be done with it already. Nothing personal, but it's just getting a bit tiresome, and even slightly irritating. Thanks!

Er, kindly and nothing personal, but, I was responding to Prophei comparing the Q to the PX - which is actually implemented with ((( stereo ))) analog filters. Yes, the Q has a “workaround” that allows one to layer and pan 4-voices, L & R. This then makes this particular (tongue in cheek?) quote rather exaggerated, is all. Also considering he only spent a few hours with the X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophei View Post
Funny you say that. My good friend leant me a PX to check out, and after I spent a few hours with it, concluded that I had zero interest and that I could outdo anything it brought to the table with the Quantum.

I boxed it up and haven't touched the X again.

And, then we have an owner of BOTH the Q and the PX, whose been obviously been in this thread before, and who DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THIS WORKAROUND and actually asked for instructions from Prophei after his post.

Perhaps you missed this post exchange, oh kind and respectful Moderator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
You can create stereo analog filter patches using the 2 layers to act as left and right channel, but obviously it cuts the polyphony to 4 voices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I'm actually fine with that since I only play triads and a bass-note, mostly. If I knew how to convert my favorite patches to two layers and correctly route everything, I would do it in a heartbeat. How would I do that? Copy layer one into layer two, then what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
It's easier than it sounds:
go to the 2nd layer and load in the same single layer patch you have in layer 1 (no method to just copy/paste at present),
go to the "levels & routing" page of each layer and set the pan to left and right
go to "voices" page and set timbre mode to layered.

Now pressing a key will trigger the 2 layers and you can make tweaks to each layer to add subtle differences, making full use of the stereo analog filter setup.

if you save this, it will now save it as a layered patch.
This post from Paul_xyz kindly explaining the “workaround” procedure already has 5 thumbs up, so obviously other interested parties think this is still useful and relevant information to talk about.

The fact is, it’s simply not obvious and clear that the Quantum CAN be configured for ((( stereo ))) using its dual mono filters, but, yes, there’s a “workaround” (albeit with a rather important to reveal limitation that your 8-Voice dual mono poly synth becomes a 4-Voice stereo poly synth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
That’s right, I stand corrected! Nice that it has this option, fo sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertZ View Post
As an add on tip. Loading a new patch in the Quantum takes some time. But if you load different patches in the 1st and 2nd layer and do not add split or layer you can switch between two patches without any load time by switching between the layers.
Then Albert even offered a useful add on tip on this same subject.

Many folks, myself included, find 4-Voice poly synths to be very limiting. In fact, there’s another thread discussing this very same thing.

But, even so, I replied back positively and moved on.

Until you decided to address me specifically in your expressly stated non-personal post, where you try to send me off in search of an analog Sherman Filter Bank, because I’m apparently irritating you, that is.

So, with all due respect, how about you kindly take a chill pill, and realize that not everyone is neck deep into the Quantum as you are now, and therefore, those folks simply don’t have your detailed knowledge of its inner workings, as is quite clear by the above exchange.

And, if the topic of dual mono or ((( stereo ))) digital filters or dual mono analog filters with a 4-Voice layered and hard panned workaround configuration to achieve (((( stereo ))) analog filters, comes up again... take a long deep breath (or 3), reach for that jar of chill pills, oh frustrated, tired, irritated (and annoyed?) Moderator and Waldorf hired hand, stick you head in some Quantum wavetables and related preset development tasks, and relax dude.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
some folks are using this with great effect, not even touching the distortion. the tame side of this little box is glue.
Totally agree, I also use the AH in audio send/return and the same with Eventide H9 for fx.
Old 24th November 2019
Hmmm . . . didn't realize the Analog Heat was so popular. I really like having my ART VLA PRO II in-series with the Quantum's output. It has a tube in it so I suppose it warms things up slightly. Do you all think the Analog Heat is really worth it for that extra bit of mojo? How is the quality of its effects? And the stereo filters?

Read a bit more on the Analog Heat MkII. Also, having a look at past Heat threads here on GS, apparently they just released v1.20 firmware upgrade last month (October, 2019). Plus, as a now class-compliant USB interface, it provides a nice short path from my Quantum to my iMac. Seems like a cool box.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually own a Sherman Filterbank 2. I thought it was more of a distortion-box (I obviously haven't used it much). Could you describe briefly a general approach to using the FB2 with the Quantum's outputs?
I love this, hehe,

BTW, I’ve previously checked out the SFB, and really like it, but decided to pass, even though, as Mod Don the Irritated said, I’m so into analog filters, lol.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m one of them.

But, the distortion (used in moderation) is excellent.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hmmm . . . didn't realize the Analog Heat was so popular. I really like having my ART VLA PRO II in-series with the Quantum's output. It has a tube in it so I suppose it warms things up slightly. Do you all think the Analog Heat is really worth it for that extra bit of mojo? How is the quality of its effects?
It sounds really good for it's price and all in one stereo concept.
- Distortion
- Envelope follower
- EQ
- Filtering

Of course it can be much better like sound processing units from Elysia.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
It sounds really good for it's price and all in one stereo concept.
- Distortion
- Envelope follower
- EQ
- Filtering

Of course it can be much better like sound processing units from Elysia.

Does it work like a Guitar Pedal regarding Bypass mode when OFF ? I mean doesn't change the sound and the signal passes through it even when OFF (even if it has to be plugged to the Electic current) .

Or if you turn it off, no signal is passed ? I mean with Quantum conected to it's Inputs, and it's Outputs conected to your mixer or recording Interface.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_P View Post
Does it work like a Guitar Pedal regarding Bypass mode when OFF ? I mean doesn't change the sound and the signal passes through it even when OFF (even if it has to be plugged to the Electic current) .

Or if you turn it off, no signal is passed ? I mean with Quantum conected to it's Inputs, and it's Outputs conected to your mixer or recording Interface.
Yes indeed, you can bypass for the dry signal.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes indeed, you can bypass for the dry signal.
Kinda expensive for what it does though...wish it had more inputs, so you could plug more than 1 synth into it...
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Er, kindly and nothing personal, but, I was responding to Prophei comparing the Q to the PX - which is actually implemented with ((( stereo ))) analog filters. Yes, the Q has a “workaround” that allows one to layer and pan 4-voices, L & R. This then makes this particular (tongue in cheek?) quote rather exaggerated, is all. Also considering he only spent a few hours with the X.

And, then we have an owner of BOTH the Q and the PX, whose been obviously been in this thread before, and who DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THIS WORKAROUND and actually asked for instructions from Prophei after his post.

Perhaps you missed this post exchange, oh kind and respectful Moderator?

This post from Paul_xyz kindly explaining the “workaround” procedure already has 5 thumbs up, so obviously other interested parties think this is still useful and relevant information to talk about.

The fact is, it’s simply not obvious and clear that the Quantum CAN be configured for ((( stereo ))) using its dual mono filters, but, yes, there’s a “workaround” (albeit with a rather important to reveal limitation that your 8-Voice dual mono poly synth becomes a 4-Voice stereo poly synth).

Then Albert even offered a useful add on tip on this same subject.

Many folks, myself included, find 4-Voice poly synths to be very limiting. In fact, there’s another thread discussing this very same thing.

But, even so, I replied back positively and moved on.

Until you decided to address me specifically in your expressly stated non-personal post, where you try to send me off in search of an analog Sherman Filter Bank, because I’m apparently irritating you, that is.

So, with all due respect, how about you kindly take a chill pill, and realize that not everyone is neck deep into the Quantum as you are now, and therefore, those folks simply don’t have your detailed knowledge of its inner workings, as is quite clear by the above exchange.

And, if the topic of dual mono or ((( stereo ))) digital filters or dual mono analog filters with a 4-Voice layered and hard panned workaround configuration to achieve (((( stereo ))) analog filters, comes up again... take a long deep breath (or 3), reach for that jar of chill pills, oh frustrated, tired, irritated (and annoyed?) Moderator and Waldorf hired hand, stick you head in some Quantum wavetables and related preset development tasks, and relax dude.

Sir Postalot, didn't you know that it is standard practice in synth forums to send anyone who posts a long enough post off in search of a Sherman Filterbank or two?

Standard Operating Procedure, has been since 1999.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Nut
I still need to try using the audio send/return of the Quantum with this beast :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_P View Post
Kinda expensive for what it does though...wish it had more inputs, so you can plugged more than 1 synth into it...
Not expensive at all, just look for alternative or these functions seperate and you see.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Sir Postalot, didn't you know that it is standard practice in synth forums to send anyone who posts a long enough post off in search of a Sherman Filterbank or two?

Standard Operating Procedure, has been since 1999.
Sir Overlly-Devensive-Cross-Site-Poster-On-All-Things-Roland-Who-Can't-Keep-It-Real,

Er, my original post wasn't long at all.

And, quoting (another) long post, that was in response the "Filter Bank" link post that was specifically addressed to me, just so you can make a snarky, personal troll-quip to the OG short-poster, out of context, is surely not standard operating procedure, as it...

JUST CLOGS UP THE THREAD WITH ANOTHER USELESS SNARK-TROLL POST.

CONGRATS, Overlly-Devensive-Cross-Site-Poster-On-All-Things-Roland-Who-Can't-Keep-It-Real!
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sir Overlly-Devensive-Cross-Site-Poster-On-All-Things-Roland-Who-Can't-Keep-It-Real,

Er, my original post wasn't long at all.

And, quoting (another) long post, that was in response the "Filter Bank" link post that was specifically addressed to me, just so you can make a snarky, personal troll-quip to the OG short-poster, out of context, is surely not standard operating procedure, as it...

JUST CLOGS UP THE THREAD WITH ANOTHER USELESS SNARK-TROLL POST.

CONGRATS, Overlly-Devensive-Cross-Site-Poster-On-All-Things-Roland-Who-Can't-Keep-It-Real!
Thanks for the belly laugh!

We make a great pair sometimes!

My drink of choice tonight is good old Jack Daniels; yours?
Old 24th November 2019
So . . . any more Quantum + Analog Heat + magic sauce testimonials?
Old 24th November 2019
Quote:
Quantum's filters are mono. It has been said dozens of times in this thread. There is no work around. For every single change on the left channel, same change in parameters would have to be applied to the other channel which via knobs is impossible, because knobs do not control both layers at the same time. The term "work around" is correct but is missing the other part of the sentience. Full sentience is: Work around the clock. For every change, save the patch, load into layer 2 and good luck applying 50-60 changes to your patch that way, saving and loading those. Because any difference between the layers means bad stereo image, phase issues during mono summing = false image in the subwoofer, etc. Only the modulation wheel, AT, pitch bend and mod pad affect both layers. Not even sure why am i typing when all this is clearly written in the user manual: https://support.waldorfmusic.com/fil..._Manual_EN.pdf
Old 24th November 2019
Quote:
. . . For every single change on the left channel, same change in parameters would have to be applied to the other channel which via knobs is impossible, because knobs do not control both layers at the same time [emphasis added] . . .
Hmmm . . . yeah, I was wondering exactly that.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
<Deleted by Moderator>
Seems like the internet has an unhealthy hold on your mood. It's pretty chill in here.

Last edited by Synth Guru; 27th November 2019 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Moan
Old 26th November 2019
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophei View Post
Seems like the internet has an unhealthy hold on your mood. It's pretty chill in here.
I thought the comment from Solaris was pretty negative and set the tone of the posts following. I can understand the sentiment of sting6theory.

I don't own a Quantum, but I like to check in every now and then, if there are some demos appearing or if all the talk about sample rate or length is still in full swing. But it is not much better on the Prophet-X thread. No wonder the old samplers are still so much in demand!
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
<Deleted by Moderator>
this thread is about a civil as it gets

so ds got a fraction salty,

nothing to flounce about

besides flouncing with long explanations
are, i have to say, lame.

Last edited by Synth Guru; 27th November 2019 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Moan
Old 26th November 2019
Quote:
This Quantum thread and its MAIN participants are WAY TOO UPTIGHT AND HIGH-STRUNG for my taste.
This thread is just fine, you can inspect it anytime. But sorry, your comment looked like you were trolling. Everyone here knows Quantum has mono filters and PX stereo. Prophei knows it as well. He said several times he had enough interactions with PX to make his assessment. Ok maybe you were just pulling his leg. Or maybe you weren't - maybe you think the guy is plain ignorant. I don't know any of these things when i'm reading your post. But i do know the methods of interaction on the board are limited not just by the use of our primitive language, but by the lack of facial expressions and emotions. You should always keep in mind that someone else might read your comment in some other light. Pro tip: add a smiley or our diddly_doo thingie when you are joking, or having fun. And the less people around you will be too-uptight and high-strung.

Offtopic chatter has been moved here: Waldorf Quantum offtopic
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
This thread is just fine, you can inspect it anytime.
Offtopic chatter has been moved here: Waldorf Quantum offtopic
I disagree with you Don, I think there has a been an unhealthy shift over the last month or so to more heavy handed moderation/content shaping, and the new thread you've created so you can unilaterally hive off posts you deem unworthy is a step too far imo.

I know I can leave at any point, but that would deprive me of a valuable part of the quantum ownership experience given Rolf's participation here.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I removed the posts which start with my own quoted post about Sherman filter. It is offtopic, no one called them unworthy they are still here on the forum. They didn't contribute to the Quantum topic, they discuss operation of Sherman and Elektron stereo filters. They don't belong in here. I also removed my response to string6theory because i think i gave him hard time - maybe he was just teasing Prophei, i don't know, still better safe than sorry.

-- I am not exactly sure what you are implying with "heavy handed content shaping" during last month. Are you implying some sort of a censorship in favor of a Waldorf company? Because i just glanced over the posts during last 6 weeks. We had a new OS update, me posting a Tetris screenshot, MarkoDarko showing interest in getting a Quantum and a Kawai wavetable announcement. Those are the topics from the last 6 weeks in this thread. I would appreciate you be a little bit more specific. Thanks.

@raffor
I have noticed you approved Paul's previous post so i suspect you also noticed some heavy-handed content shaping in here during the last month. If you think there is some sort of a hidden agenda going on in favor of Quantum during last month, i would appreciate please point to concrete examples. Or if you had your post edited or deleted, and know the date, tell me and i will investigate who deleted / edited the post. There is a system log that track all the data. Because i know it wasn't me. During last two months i barely had time to check all reported posts, let alone have time to build some secret Kabbalah that would carefully monitor and shift the Quantum topic as soon as potentially dangerous information was posted in. That's just ridiculous. I work 8 hours in the office, i go home, check mail, go to gym or go run 10-14 km and in the evening do some work on sound design. If someone deleted your post, or censored you, or deliberately shifted your point to push his/her agenda during the last two month in this thread, please point to those specific posts.
as youve now deleted more posts, including the flounce directed at you
and have been accused of 'meddling' by others
and are involved with the Qu profesionally
there IS a conflict of interest

you should recuse yourself from moderating this thread.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I removed the posts which start with my own quoted post about Sherman filter. It is offtopic, no one called them unworthy they are still here on the forum. They didn't contribute to the Quantum topic, they discuss operation of Sherman and Elektron stereo filters. They don't belong in here. I also removed my response to string6theory because i think i gave him hard time - maybe he was just teasing Prophei, i don't know, still better safe than sorry.

-- I am not exactly sure what you are implying with "heavy handed content shaping" during last month. Are you implying some sort of a censorship in favor of a Waldorf company? Because i just glanced over the posts during last 6 weeks. We had a new OS update, me posting a Tetris screenshot, MarkoDarko showing interest in getting a Quantum and a Kawai wavetable announcement. Those are the topics from the last 6 weeks in this thread. I would appreciate you be a little bit more specific. Thanks.
To be clear to anyone reading this, you've resurrected a post I deleted and, if I'm not mistaken, you deleted your post that I quoted from.

I'm not talking about pro-quantum censorship, I was talking about you telling us what is and isn't okay to discuss in this thread eg

Quote:
As you said, you deleted that post too.

The combination of that and the new off-topic thread prompted my post.

Point being, this is not a forum, it's a *massive* single thread, and new owners are coming along all the time and if someone wants to discuss filters again, why not? If it irritates you, surely you can just skip over it - but the discussion may have value for other owners. Isn't that what it's all about?

The new offtopic thread may well still be "on the forum", but this is *the* thread for quantum discussion and you are now acting as gatekeeper for what is and isn't okay to discuss in context, where people are likely to read it. It sets a precedent that doesn't sit well with me at all.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

From my perspective, around the time Rolf came here, Don became extremely eager to see the thread be constructive and productive in ways he imagined would be helpful for all concerned. As it happens I think Don was sometimes a little too eager, and some counterproductive things resulted at times. I didnt think it was a big deal at the time so I didnt say anything, and I would describe things that happened in this category as happening only sporadically. But since something happened that has annoyed more people, I thought I may as well say something now.

A desire to save Rolf from having to routinely wade through 'the worst that messageboards have to offer' is more than understandable, but not if the medicine causes more problems than the disease! And this thread is usually pretty good, it really doesnt need much moderation, a very light touch is appropriate most of the time.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgam View Post
The Quantum is my first hardware synth with wavetable synthesis, so I'm looking for ways to generate interesting wavetables. For those who have Ableton, I found this: http://metafunction.co.uk/wave-weld/

This looks interesting too: https://bgc.github.io/waveformgenerator/#/
These are great, thanks!

Though I know it allows addition of user wavetables, I must say I have years of sonic fun ahead just with the included wavetables, and the ability to generate my own from any sampled sound in the synth.

The complicated efforts described in this thread have more to do with recreating specific wavetables/sets from the past; Prophet VS and Ensoniq.

But I'm quite content already with what's on-hand. These utilities are just gravy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search