The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Confirmation bias or just lying
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Confirmation bias or just lying

To all of those people who claim something sound like a VST, I wonder if this is confirmation bias, or simply outright lying?
Old 22nd November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
To all of those people who claim something sound like a VST, I wonder if this is confirmation bias, or simply outright lying?
Those, of course, are not the only possibilities in such a scenario.

If someone says, such-and-such-a-sound sounds to me like a VST, who is to say they are not telling the truth as they hear it, whatever the source actually is?
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

It's just talk. In most cases I see, it's a way of dissing something you don't like ("It doesn't sound analogue/pleasing/special/good"). The "to me" qualifier is seldom, if ever, used.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

^ Agreed.

Remember when Tools' Vicarious got released and everyone was saying how they hated it because it was quantised? Then Joe Baresi came in and dispelled that pretty quick? Yeah, me too.
Old 2nd December 2019
Sounds like a Virtual Studio Technology?
Old 2nd December 2019
Old 2nd December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
It's just talk. In most cases I see, it's a way of dissing something you don't like ("It doesn't sound analogue/pleasing/special/good"). The "to me" qualifier is seldom, if ever, used.
Many people think using such a qualifier 'weakens' their statement, despite the fact that the people they're arguing with probably already assume they don't know what they're talking about anyway, opinion or facts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Many people think using such a qualifier 'weakens' their statement, despite the fact that the people they're arguing with probably already assume they don't know what they're talking about anyway, opinion or facts.
It makes it more accurate, at least to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
It makes it more accurate, at least to me.
It's like frequency response figures...

One guy will try to sell you a piece of gear with just a 20 Hz - 20k Hz spec.

While someone else will put the same piece up with a considerably more informative, 20 Hz - 20k Hz +/- 10 dB spec.

I don't think I'm buying that item, but you can bet I won't even look twice again at anything from the first guy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search