The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Bugs on new releases.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Behringer Bugs on new releases.

I am no Behringer hater.
I am very happy they are releasing new old synths and their own designs.
But it seems all their recent releases have major bugs on release.

Are the buyers the real beta testers?
Why aren't the issues addressed when sent out to people to test them? Are they sending them to the wrong people?

I saw the RD-8 has a trigger issue. If that was non fixable in a firmware release, I would pass on it for the 909 release or 999 - both of which I am interested in.

I am now hesitant to purchase anything until bugs are addressed.

Apart from that (and that products don't drop worldwide at around the same time) I like them and Uli for posting here for us.
Old 7th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
I am no Behringer hater.

Why aren't the issues addressed when sent out to people to test them? Are they sending them to the wrong people?

I saw the RD-8 has a trigger issue. If that was non fixable in a firmware release, I would pass on it for the 909 release or 999 - both of which I am interested in.

Apart from that (and that products don't drop worldwide at around the same time) I like them and Uli for posting here for us.
We are beta testers for everything released...especially in the budget end of the market. Everything is rushed and we as consumers are to blame too. Look at folks baying for releases in speculation threads and constant complaining when availability dates are pushed back.

I've had five of their synths and reported bugs aside Ive found them all completely usable out of the box...my Prologue wasnt.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

I would personally like them to take a breather, slow down their release pace, and get their polys like the Ub-XA just right. Or at least as much as possible prior to deployment. It's bad for their brand to have these bugs and it just adds credence to their critics that call their product line "cheap knock off junk." Their teams worked really hard to get the reputation of Behringer synthesizers to a respectable status, would be a shame to undo that by being hasty. Having said that, at least they try to fix things in a timely fashion, relative to some of the competition anyways. I'm in no way dissuaded to buy more of their stuff because as Kcearl pointed out, their instruments have been perfectly usable enough (for me) out of the box.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe should have bought a Moog One or Prologue or MPC Live or Pro Force if you wanted something bug free at launch.

Being totally serious though, I would never suggest being the early adopter on this stuff, by any manufacturer. Obviously for firmware headaches, but also because you can get a better deal. And no preorder games.

In fact, this works well in other life purchases as well.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

I would agree that it’s common, not just a Behringer issue. Just don’t be a first adopter, let the eager people work through the headaches. With some gear waiting a year to buy also means a better price.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Maniac

LOL - I've been a "beta tester" for Moog, DSI and Novation as well. Hardly just a Behringer problem.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am no Behringer hater.

Its simple: People do preorders because they love to be beta testers and be the first to discover some nasty bugs.
Old 7th November 2019
I remember beta testing Spark...and Im a lazy beat tester but I did notice that steps 16-32 weren't showing on the hardware...so thats all I reported, constantly, and they released it with 16-32 not showing on the hardware...and my name on the credits/thanks on the software

Im an MPC Live early adopter, love it to bits, but theres bugs in there that have been reported for years...yet constantly we're asking for features and kept promises.

Youve got to remember apart from being new to this part of the game its must be hard to keep up with all these different groups producing synths then getting it all here to the US to be assembled!

Old 7th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I would personally like them to take a breather, slow down their release pace, and get their polys like the Ub-XA just right. Or at least as much as possible prior to deployment. It's bad for their brand to have these bugs and it just adds credence to their critics that call their product line "cheap knock off junk." Their teams worked really hard to get the reputation of Behringer synthesizers to a respectable status, would be a shame to undo that by being hasty. Having said that, at least they try to fix things in a timely fashion, relative to some of the competition anyways. I'm in no way dissuaded to buy more of their stuff because as Kcearl pointed out, their instruments have been perfectly usable enough (for me) out of the box.
well said

It's not as if the market isn't chocka with affordable gear...what I find acceptable flaw/bug on a $150-300 desktop mono may not be on their bigger, more expensive, polys.

They need to chill and get these right from the start or it'll only be the already converted that'll buy them.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Nut

Not worried in the slightest. All Behringer products come with a nice long and hassle free warranty. Firmware bugs usually get squashed very quickly after release. Oh, and there’s never been such a thing of a synth released without bugs.

A little patience and less scare-mongering is what is needed here.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am no Behringer hater.

you can say that about anything now..ive bought software (Cubase..etc)which is buggy as hell and in the case of massive x it was released unfinished and it took months for it too be updated to a standard you could class as 90% + finished.

and hardware wise companys are the same they put out gear just too get it on the shelfs that's down to the throw away nature we have now..
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

The bugs will get sorted then no-one will GAF.

Korg's inability to reproduce E,F,G seems but a distant dream..
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace
Korg's inability to reproduce E,F,G seems but a distant dream..
You can make perfect music with just A, B, C and D. The level of corksniffing is staggering these days.

[back to exploring happy accidents with gate bugs...]

Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arder View Post
You can make perfect music with just A, B, C and D. The level of corksniffing is staggering these days.

[back to exploring happy accidents with gate bugs...]

I know, on all the original TB-303s not all the E,F and Gs were the same man, my new Italochinacorp TB-303 sounds different too so it must be the same right??
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Well, Having dealt with DSI and Elektron i dont think Behringer is worse imo.
For now on i wont buy anything at release day.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
Well, Having dealt with DSI and Elektron i dont think Behringer is worse imo.
For now on i wont buy anything at release day.
I actually think the worst is Arturia - they don't even fix the bugs!
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Guru

Synth heads use their gear in all sorts of ways with hundreds of different bits of gear attached etc, the beta testers in the factories aren't doing what most synth heads would do and things are slipping by, that's my opinion could be wildly wrong, but the Crave stuff and 101 bugs seemed like they'd be picked up pretty quick smart by any regular synth head so i'm curious how these things are slipping through.
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
I actually think the worst is Arturia - they don't even fix the bugs!
Pioneer: hold my beer
Old 8th November 2019
arturia are great...release the BeatStepPro and it cant sequence because its drunk
Old 8th November 2019
Deleted 25df962
It's very common.
Many brands do it.
This not to justify. They are all assholes. They save money this way, they don't care about selling broken devices that will be fixed slowly and almost unpredictable.
It's a wrong way.
Shame on all of them.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Elektron digitakt midi was a mess on launch.
Malekko manther was sold on quite quickly.
I didn’t go near various mfb boxes.

Bad QA, test plans , lack of experience , lack of investment.
I tend to expect some hard to find quirky things might get through but it seems increasingly that products are coming out with easy to find problems that seem to treat the customer with no respect.
Sending a box to influencers, sound creators or reviewers is not QA.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Fwiw, on thing Behringer does better than most is service after the sale and they have fantastic warranties.

For example I am AMAZED at how they have supported and upgraded the X32 platform over the past 7 years.

The X32 as it ships today is WAY deeper than it was at launch. Most companies would be on a version 2 or 3 by this point and 1st year buyers would be S.O.L. and shelling out big bucks for a new one.

Instead they gave away all the new features for free as firmware updates.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

"Major Bugs" is a large overstatement.

And this phenomenon affects far far more companies than B in most every industry.

If everyone would just chill TF out and not act like crack addicts who are friending for the new shiny, and wait, hell, a month or so, the vast majority would never even notice some relase bugs.

But no, that won't do. And so it goes.
Old 13th November 2019
< moderating message - I'm allowing this thread. Please keep the discussion informative? Thank you! >
Old 13th November 2019
Gear Nut

I think they should check their process model again. Testing is one of the most important things to do at this scale.

Last edited by Nightmara; 13th November 2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: heat
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

If you're wondering who the test team is, it's you.

Old 13th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Youve got to remember apart from being new to this part of the game its must be hard to keep up with all these different groups producing synths then getting it all here to the US to be assembled!

Holy crap, I am losing it from that picture.
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

With the MS-101 I really did feel like a beta tester as the initial firmware was corrupted but it was all resolved in a few days and it's been fine since. The rest of they synths I have from them, Deepmind, D, Neutron and Pro 1 have all been great out of the box. They synth tool they have put out is pretty good and I always make sure the firmware is on the current version.
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post

I've had five of their synths and reported bugs aside Ive found them all completely usable out of the box...my Prologue wasnt.
The Moog One wasn’t usable out of the box for me.
Old 14th November 2019
Lives for gear

Waldorf blofeld
Alesis fusion
Both buggy as hell

Most hardware has at least some bugs when first released, this is not just a behringer issue but an industry wide issue.
The 2 listed above are what i have personal experience with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search