The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap Client?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Cheap Client?

I have a home studio and recently received a call from a new client.

Unfortunately the person seems to be ultra cheap. The client is recording own tracks of acoustic guitar and vocal at home and had asked me to "Clean up" the final recordings.

To be honest, the recordings do not sound good. You can easily hear the small room that is being picked up by the one mic being used. I was sent one recording and the vocal was not loud enough, so I sent an email and explained that perhaps experimenting with mic position may help.

Starting to feel like this may be a huge time sink. The client thanked me for my input and admitted to being a noob at recording.

So for the short time it takes to clean up the start and end of a file and add some processing I am spending more time giving advice on recording techniques. Perhaps it will get better in time. It sucks in a way to have my studio name added to a recording that has limited hope of sounding good.

Any advice?
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 509ab36
Don't do it? Clock it all and charge accordingly - more money for more of your time? Get a new/better EQ and commence with surgery? It's hard to say without actually hearing the recording. Anyway, you should be upfront with clients about "time is money".. including extended chit chat time. If they'd like to book time, pop in for a show and tell Q&A (either in person or video), whats the harm.. you're getting paid and, assuming you do good work, they'll learn something and most likely be a returning, if not long term customer!
Old 1 week ago
I had a mastering client who would call me up and ask me questions about recording and keep asking me more and more questions and taking up my time. This was happening two to three times a week. I finally told him that my time is billable and if he wanted to have extended conversations it would be at the rate or $45.00 per hour. He stopped calling. He was a one time mastering client and I guess he thought that because of that he could call me repeatedly. I feel the OP's pain. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 509ab36 View Post
Don't do it? Clock it all and charge accordingly - more money for more of your time? Get a new/better EQ and commence with surgery? It's hard to say without actually hearing the recording. Anyway, you should be upfront with clients about "time is money".. including extended chit chat time. If they'd like to book time, pop in for a show and tell Q&A (either in person or video), whats the harm.. you're getting paid and, assuming you do good work, they'll learn something and most likely be a returning, if not long term customer!
I think that you have given good advice here. Thanks. I just started working with this person a few days ago so I can still "nip it in the bud".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I had a mastering client who would call me up and ask me questions about recording and keep asking me more and more questions and taking up my time. This was happening two to three times a week. I finally told him that my time is billable and if he wanted to have extended conversations it would be at the rate or $45.00 per hour. He stopped calling. He was a one time mastering client and I guess he thought that because of that he could call me repeatedly. I feel the OP's pain. FWIW
Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about. Thanks for your input as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search