The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb loses a customer
Old 31st October 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
Reverb loses a customer

I have had mostly good experiences on reverb.com but their support is not good. For the last four weeks I have been trying to get a refund on a piece of gear that was sold in a condition different from what was stated in the listing.

The 2nd level support people are completely unresponsive, and I mean no responses, no updates, no communication.

So I removed my remaining 2000 usd of listings, and even though I am sure the grass is not greener, I will only use ebay until a better solution comes along.
Old 31st October 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I have had mostly good experiences on reverb.com but their support is not good. For the last four weeks I have been trying to get a refund on a piece of gear that was sold in a condition different from what was stated in the listing.

The 2nd level support people are completely unresponsive, and I mean no responses, no updates, no communication.

So I removed my remaining 2000 usd of listings, and even though I am sure the grass is not greener, I will only use ebay until a better solution comes along.
eBay is worse in my experience
Old 31st October 2019
  #3
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
eBay is worse in my experience
I am sure it is but I haven't yet had any bad experiences with them and in fact they did help me with an unresponsive seller, a lot better than reverb so far.
Old 31st October 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
seamonkey's Avatar
Wasn't Reverb recently bought by Reddit?
Old 31st October 2019
  #5
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Wasn't Reverb recently bought by Reddit?
Close - etsy
Old 31st October 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
seamonkey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Close - etsy
ah yes, that's it! thank you.
Old 31st October 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
 
kwaping's Avatar
Try using social media like tweeting at them. Public shaming works wonders for getting a quick response.
Old 31st October 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
When buying anything on Reverb always choose PayPal as your payment method, never choose Reverb's payment system. Also use a credit card for PayPal

That way you can just file a dispute with PayPal which will be much more responsive than Reverb, and if that doesn't work you can file one with your credit card company
Old 31st October 2019
  #9
Gear Addict
I got my refund to suddenly appear by talking about civil legal action, and politely explaining that I was spreading the word about my experience.
Old 31st October 2019
  #10
Gear Addict
Some innovation needs to happen to make scamming by counterparties and predatory and customer unfriendly practices less attractive. These platforms like airbnb ebay uber reverb etsy etc etc bring convenience, to a point and the possibility of lower costs but there are a lot of ingrained incentives to game the system that dont exist when you are dealing with a merchant one on one.

Here is an article I stumbled on this morning that is germane, regarding airbnb

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...scam-on-airbnb
Old 31st October 2019
  #11
My experience after buying a "perfectly working" MaxiKorg that turned out to be fraught with failed features was dismal. Nobody at Reverb ever got back to me at all not counting automatically generated e-mail containing links to help topics that when clicked half came up 404.

I've bought tons of motorcycle parts on Ebay in the past year including fron Chinese sellers and most of my issues got resolved. One Chinese seller even sent a replacement headlight lens to replace one cracked in shipping.
At the very least I think sellers on Ebay are more concerned about possible negative feedback than on Reverb. Reverb has some very sheisty sellers IMO. It's as bad as Craigslist if not worse.

Having said that I have had the most luck with selling things on Reverb than anyplace else.
Old 31st October 2019
  #12
Gear Head
 

Had the same experience lately. It took several attempts to get a seller to refund an item that was sold privately after I had purchased. Only in the last few months have I seen sellers not abide by Reverb rules of sale (late shipping, no communication, etc). Don't get me wrong, prefer Reverb to Ebay.
Old 31st October 2019
  #13
Gear Addict
 

I had a similar experience a while ago, but simply kept hammering at the scammy seller and (initially) seemingly uninterested staff at Reverb.

Got my money back, including the return shipping, in the end. Months later. It’s as well I desperately needed neither an item such as was returned, nor said money, in the short term.

Other than that, my dealings have been good, so for now at least, I’ll continue to consider more purchases there.
Old 31st October 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Any of you selling on eBay? I am not trying to sell music stuff. Just stuff that I'd otherwise throw away. I've read nightmare stories about buyers screwing over sellers with returning different items, claiming something is defective a billion years after purchase or taking out parts of whatever it is and then returning it.
Old 31st October 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Some innovation needs to happen to make scamming by counterparties and predatory and customer unfriendly practices less attractive. These platforms like airbnb ebay uber reverb etsy etc etc bring convenience, to a point and the possibility of lower costs but there are a lot of ingrained incentives to game the system that dont exist when you are dealing with a merchant one on one.

Here is an article I stumbled on this morning that is germane, regarding airbnb

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...scam-on-airbnb
Airbnb screwed me out of €250
Charged my card for a booking I didn't make. I asked them to show me the booking and they said they weren't allowed to unless instructed by the authorities!? They also said it was authorised so nothing they can do. PayPal said the same.
I had no bookings. €250 for nothing.
Whatever, none of my family will use them again and I tell everyone not to book through them, not that they care.
Its the problem when you just get a call centre and contact form.
Awful company and many are the same these days.
Old 31st October 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Any of you selling on eBay? I am not trying to sell music stuff. Just stuff that I'd otherwise throw away. I've read nightmare stories about buyers screwing over sellers with returning different items, claiming something is defective a billion years after purchase or taking out parts of whatever it is and then returning it.
i've been selling on ebay for 15+ years. old video games and computers, guitars, synths, fx, all sorts of things. thousands of dollars in the past few years alone. never would have been possible without ebay.

somehow i've had pretty much zero problems, nothing that comes to mind. never any sort of "buyer scams" that people talk about, never a refund/return that i can think of. 100% positive feedback pretty much the whole time.
Old 31st October 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 

It's not as bad as that time echo lost a customer

Then they lost another one

Then they lost another one

Bad feedback apparently
Old 31st October 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
donato's Avatar
How is it that hard not to get screwed by AirBnB? I read the article, but just choose places that have a LOT of positive and obviously real and recent reviews. And who are these people spending thousands of dollars on an Airbnb rental? Half the reason I use it is because it’s so cheap!

But yeah the PayPal charge listed above is disturbing.
Old 31st October 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Nigel99's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Airbnb screwed me out of €250
Charged my card for a booking I didn't make. I asked them to show me the booking and they said they weren't allowed to unless instructed by the authorities!? They also said it was authorised so nothing they can do. PayPal said the same.
I had no bookings. €250 for nothing.
Whatever, none of my family will use them again and I tell everyone not to book through them, not that they care.
Its the problem when you just get a call centre and contact form.
Awful company and many are the same these days.
You need to phone Paypal in the US and sort it out.

I had an eBay seller charge me $400 for shipping a $4 part (don’t ask how I fell for that) but after many calls it was sorted out.
Old 31st October 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Not audio related but awesome info here on everything that could go wrong buying online.

The first 10 or so posts have excellent info:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/to...all-vids-guide
Old 31st October 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i've been selling on ebay for 15+ years. old video games and computers, guitars, synths, fx, all sorts of things. thousands of dollars in the past few years alone. never would have been possible without ebay.

somehow i've had pretty much zero problems, nothing that comes to mind. never any sort of "buyer scams" that people talk about, never a refund/return that i can think of. 100% positive feedback pretty much the whole time.
Sounds good. Doesn't PayPal have this long window to demand a refund? Do you have to wait for half a year before you can rest easy

For example I wouldn't want to get refunds demanded in February for stuff sold now.
Old 31st October 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Sounds good. Doesn't PayPal have this long window to demand a refund? Do you have to wait for half a year before you can rest easy

For example I wouldn't want to get refunds demanded in February for stuff sold now.
i've honestly never worried about anything like that, ever ...though i'm probably a perfect example of a seller that really should. most of what i sell are vintage computer items from the early-mid 80s. any of this stuff could just die at any moment. i've rarely ever heard back from anyone after a sale, and never weeks/months after the fact.

knock on wood? i don't know, maybe it's different with certain markets (synths, etc). i have more complaints over the years as a buyer on ebay than i do as a seller.
Old 31st October 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
pr0gr4m's Avatar
It's the model that is messed up.
3rd party companies that want to make money off of what should be 2 party transactions and they really can't manage the system fairly.
It's the people that are messed up.
Unscrupulous people abound.
"Mint" means different things to different people.
People (sellers/buyers) can be lazy, uncaring and most importantly are NOT educated in the ways of customer service and support.
Don't forget how often they change their minds.
It's the expectations that are messed up.
Knowing the two things above, its almost a given that things will not always go smoothly.
It's like air travel, enough of it goes right that the bad things are barely a blip on the radar, so why would the 3rd party really care?

Anyway, I found it interesting that you said you've had "mostly good experiences" but you are going to stop using it. Is that like 2 out of 3 or maybe 16 out of 21? What's the threshold when the mostly good is not good enough to keep using Reverb? Just curious.
Old 31st October 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
When buying anything on Reverb always choose PayPal as your payment method, never choose Reverb's payment system. Also use a credit card for PayPal

That way you can just file a dispute with PayPal which will be much more responsive than Reverb, and if that doesn't work you can file one with your credit card company
This x1000. Saved me twice in the last month alone. Once with Stock X (sneakers - a VILE company indeed) and once with Reverb.
Old 31st October 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
Anyway, I found it interesting that you said you've had "mostly good experiences" but you are going to stop using it. Is that like 2 out of 3 or maybe 16 out of 21? What's the threshold when the mostly good is not good enough to keep using Reverb? Just curious.
1 bad experience, especially if you really get screwed of the CS is terrible, should be enough.
Old 1st November 2019
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
eBay is worse in my experience
My experience with Ebay customer service has been positive over the years.
Sometimes it takes a few days for them to react, but they always did.
No response from a helpdek is just bad.
Hope the OP gets his stuff sourted out.
Old 1st November 2019
  #27
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I have had mostly good experiences on reverb.com but their support is not good. For the last four weeks I have been trying to get a refund on a piece of gear that was sold in a condition different from what was stated in the listing.

The 2nd level support people are completely unresponsive, and I mean no responses, no updates, no communication.

So I removed my remaining 2000 usd of listings, and even though I am sure the grass is not greener, I will only use ebay until a better solution comes along.
What was wrong with the item?
Old 1st November 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
pr0gr4m's Avatar
EBay - never again.
Damned if you do.
Damned if you don't.
Old 1st November 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Close - etsy
Wow it sounds like their service is even worse than it was with Chicago Music Exchange
Old 1st November 2019
  #30
Gear Nut
I’ve sold things on eBay recently, maschine studio , zoom tac 2 , komplete ultimate, years ago I sold a motif , mpc , 01x , mx1 , system 1 , vt3 , tb3 , a few macs some solar gear , and other bits
I’ve had two issues tho , one was when I sold an Xbox and over a year later they tried to claim a refund stating fraudulent activity , PayPal sorted that out , but it was stress .
Then a couple of years back I sold/listed a komplete kontrol , the listing was due to end and the software transfer hadn’t been done by ni , Someone had bid , which stopped me halting the auction until I got the transfer request, so I phoned eBay , they said they couldn’t end the auction, so I’d need to sort it out after it sold , I then got the transfer Request, so I put a note on the listing saying all was good .
Keyboard sold , I went down the post office and shipped it , got home , received an email from eBay saying they’d cancelled the sale and refunded the money, phoned eBay , asked them wtf was going on , they said I must have cancelled it , but I clearly didn’t , they couldn’t give me any proof of this either , so I had to rush back down the post office, to try and get my keyboard back, literally been picked up just before I got there, but the nice lady behind the counter, managed to get the driver to come back , in the meantime, some guy reversed into my car outside the post office facepalm
So i boycotted eBay and I sold the keyboard to a shop , for much less than I would on eBay
I only just started selling on there again and I have only been listing stuff when you get that £1 max selling fees
This month I sold about 800 worth of stuff and paid £3 fees
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump