The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb loses a customer
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 509ab36
Quote:
Vice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
How is it that hard not to get screwed by AirBnB? I read the article, but just choose places that have a LOT of positive and obviously real and recent reviews. And who are these people spending thousands of dollars on an Airbnb rental? Half the reason I use it is because it’s so cheap!
Vice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
EBay - never again.
Damned if you do.
Damned if you don't.
Yep, they are seriously confused about the relationship with members. They treat people like children and act like theyre service is doing people a favor. When they froze my account simply for logging in while on vacation, no amount of phone calls, emails etc., yielded a simple solution. **** passwords and any number of backup safeguards, they wanted all sorts of data, personal document photocopies faxed, etc so on and so forth. I mean I get it, security and all, but come on, people travel ya know? Whatever. Had I been in the middle of a transaction god only knows what kind of malarkey wouldve taken place. I gave up. **** em.. i just left it like that, frozen in time fooooooooooooorever
Old 1 week ago
It is too bad that Reverb went from a GREAT place to sell equipment to what the OP is describing. I guess they got caught up in the "money game". One of the original people who started Reverb use to call me and chat once in a while but once Reverb got going the phone calls stopped. We still see a few things on Reverb but not as many as when they started. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
It is too bad that Reverb went from a GREAT place to sell equipment to what the OP is describing. I guess they got caught up in the "money game". One of the original people who started Reverb use to call me and chat once in a while but once Reverb got going the phone calls stopped. We still see a few things on Reverb but not as many as when they started. FWIW
I'm guessing the sale to Etsy had something to do with that.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...d-by-etsy.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 View Post
You need to phone Paypal in the US and sort it out.

I had an eBay seller charge me $400 for shipping a $4 part (don’t ask how I fell for that) but after many calls it was sorted out.
I'm in europe and no can do! But I will persevere somehow
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
It's the model that is messed up.
3rd party companies that want to make money off of what should be 2 party transactions and they really can't manage the system fairly.
It's the people that are messed up.
Unscrupulous people abound.
"Mint" means different things to different people.
People (sellers/buyers) can be lazy, uncaring and most importantly are NOT educated in the ways of customer service and support.
Don't forget how often they change their minds.
It's the expectations that are messed up.
Knowing the two things above, its almost a given that things will not always go smoothly.
It's like air travel, enough of it goes right that the bad things are barely a blip on the radar, so why would the 3rd party really care?

Anyway, I found it interesting that you said you've had "mostly good experiences" but you are going to stop using it. Is that like 2 out of 3 or maybe 16 out of 21? What's the threshold when the mostly good is not good enough to keep using Reverb? Just curious.
As you said the negatives are like the product of the negatives of the platform x users. I expect users who are not merchants to make mistakes and to exhibit venality. But when the marketplace company screws me over or tries to bend the law or overcharge me, or allow another user to scam me, then I have to draw the line.
So I am not just being picky. I have had better selling experiences on reverb than buying. So far selling on ebay sucks. I already had someone "buy" a synth and then never pay for it but keep asking for more pics. That user is brand new so has probably already been banned by Ebay before, so now I have a piece of gear that is in limbo and is "sold" but no money and I have to begin a claim process against the buyer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
... So far selling on ebay sucks. I already had someone "buy" a synth and then never pay for it but keep asking for more pics. That user is brand new so has probably already been banned by Ebay before, so now I have a piece of gear that is in limbo and is "sold" but no money and I have to begin a claim process against the buyer.
i always sell using 'Buy It Now' which allows you to require immediate payment from the buyer. didn't have too many problems with this before that (most buyers paid just after the sale anyway), but it's nice not having to wait at all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Reverb has some very sheisty sellers IMO. It's as bad as Craigslist if not worse.
This has kind of surprised me since I thought reverb was the place that was for people who "know" selling to people who "know". Kind of a profession related ebay. If anything I would assume it's even harder to pass off busted equipment on Reverb than anywhere else but people try.

I bought an expensive EQ only to have it show up with LEDs not functioning and one pot loose and clacky! "It wasn't like that when I sent it!" I did get a refund and sent it back to him.

I bought a Brute II compressor that clearly had issues - in stereo mode with sides linked and set equally, the left side compressed 12 dB more than the right! The seller's response, "Oh, I didn't realize. I've never used it in stereo".

I got a refund as well.

I bought a Roland MKS20 from someone who claimed it was fully working only to have it arrive with the outputs suffering from horrible distortion.

"Oh, I only tested the headphone output".
I got the seller to pay for the repair at least.

In reverb's defense I have had a lot of big ticket purchases that have gone off without a hitch but I do try to find local sellers who offer local pickup if possible - I find those people to be the most honest.

It's hilarious what people consider "Excellent" and "Mint" condition. I've seen units missing buttons, with scratches, and rusted screws listed as "excellent" condition.

Oh yeah, for some of you out there - would it kill you to give the gear a once over with a damp rag before you list it? Nothing is more of a buzzkill than to see gear covered in dust with some dried on brown gloops on the faceplate.
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

Move to selling with PayPal only on Reverb. Their own payment settlement system takes too big a percentage of your total.

Also if you use their system, they charge too much to transfer your money to your bank account.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search