The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves - What an arrogance - V11 - Bug fixes for a fee
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Nut
While I am still quite sore about having to pay Waves to upgrade 2 plugins - Rhapsody and |Electric 88, for a memory overuse/leak bug, which I was probably the 1st person to highlight and bring Waves attention to this (who knows!!), some point in time I will bite the bullet and move these from V9 to V11 - licenses and also upgrade software to V11.

I was in touch with Waves, and they have cleverly not explicitly stated that this bug fix was included in V11, IMHO to avoid being legally required to give this upgrade away for free.

By not admitting anywhere that the bug has now been fixed, they do not admit, by implication that there was ever an issue.

I absolutely understand the rational for Waves to be a profitable business, but this leaves a very bad taste in the money mouth (wallet).. Unfortunately Waves has us over a barrel. These are two of the very best sampled instruments of their kind, and run with legendary reliability (with the exception of the now fixed bug in the older versions). And there really is no competition, excellent sounding instruments for more than a fair price - approx $30 per instrument, for sounds that once cost well over $200 each, so I'll just accept it is what it is.

Until some other plugin manufacturer promises an even fairer deal on how they treat their customers and can beat/equal the quality of Waves plugins.

In fairness Waves are definitely one of the most reliable plugins in my tool kit, with consistently excellent documentation, and a uniform general workflow across their plugins.

Why Waves? Could be nostalgia - from the days when a single Waves plugin cost over $500.... and I simply could never afford to own one, as a hobbyist.

And all those - behind the scenes reviews of popular songs in SoundonSound magazine, which will have at least 1 Waves plugin (usually many more)..

Rant over - about $15 more dollars sacrificed on the altar of the Waves gods, for the privilege to upgrade to V11 for these two plugins (will wait till Black Friday to see if I get any discounted price for the upgrade)
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

Testpost
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
What? But I was planning to get one of the servers. What the…
Support will be coming for SoundGrid, if it's not here already. It's more ideal to have as many people switch to V11 as possible. It will be easier for them to maintain and offer support.

They've just introduced new boxes too, so they suddenly won't make them compatible, it would be a really, bad business decision if they did. I anything, the new boxes guarantees that Waves is still invested in their SoundGrid platform.

V11 support will come.
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear
I just updated my eligible plug-ins to 11, hoping I can license my 10 install with them.
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just updated my eligible plug-ins to 11, hoping I can license my 10 install with them.
You can. I ran my V10 plugins with the V11 license for a bit before upgrading the plugins.
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes, it's even better than that. The new WAVES Central allows for some pretty clever combos.

ie. I have Mercury, but I also depend on Studiorack/Soundgrid (which is not 64bit...yet. V 9.2.0).
So, as part of the upgrade to V11, Infected Mushroom Pusher was added to Mercury.

So, if you go into the "Install Products tab and choose "All Products", then click on "Infected Mushroom Pusher" it allows you to install the individual plugin (V11). It won't work in StudioRack...yet, but it will work in nearly everything else.

So, anything I need to use in StudioRack, I simply leave at V 10.

Also, if you go into the Settings tab of WAVES Central, you have options for cleaning up various versions of plugins too.
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Yes, it's even better than that. The new WAVES Central allows for some pretty clever combos.

ie. I have Mercury, but I also depend on Studiorack/Soundgrid (which is not 64bit...yet. V 9.2.0).
So, as part of the upgrade to V11, Infected Mushroom Pusher was added to Mercury.

So, if you go into the "Install Products tab and choose "All Products", then click on "Infected Mushroom Pusher" it allows you to install the individual plugin (V11). It won't work in StudioRack...yet, but it will work in nearly everything else.

Also, if you go into the Settings tab of WAVES Central, you have options for cleaning up various versions of plugins too.
This is a great new feature, and Waves Central makes it easier than ever. I do find the UI slightly confusing, I'm hoping they make it even more seamless.

The other issue is there's no way (at least from what I saw while looking around), to uninstall individual plugins or bundles once they're installed. The uninstallation option under 'Settings' only allows you to uninstall all of V10 or all of V11. So if you accidentally install V11 for something you wanna keep in V10, you're gonna have to uninstall all V11 plugs, reinstall version 10, and then carefully upgrade exactly what you want to be V11 over again.

This may be by design; trying to make it harder for people to keep different versions of things running side by side so they continue upgrading. But maybe they'll embrace this and make it easier for us.
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
You can. I ran my V10 plugins with the V11 license for a bit before upgrading the plugins.
Thanks for sharing, @ MattyJoe . It worked out fine just moving the new licenses and leaving my 10 install intact.
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Good info @ mattrixx , thanks for sharing. I might want to investigate if I can update to the latest 10 versions with this new Waves Central.
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Good info @ mattrixx , thanks for sharing. I might want to investigate if I can update to the latest 10 versions with this new Waves Central.
That is definitely possible, as WAVES Central will show the latest of both V10 and V11 in the "all products" list. Just highlight the V10 version and click install.

Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is definitely possible, as WAVES Central will show the latest of both V10 and V11 in the "all products" list. Just highlight the V10 version and click install.

The search function should make it more easy to quickly find what you want too.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Nut
Reluctantly. Most Reluctantly, did the WUP update to V11 for my beloved Rhapsody and Electric 88 - about $13 for both of them, when done at the same time.

Updating them individually would have been been $24. i.e $12 each, so some consolation/savings.

The lesson is the WUP has some kind of discounts for doing more than 1 product at the same time, not sure exactly what the algorithm for the discounts is...
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear
@ mattrixx and @ simon.billington , again thanks for sharing.

However, I found the current Waves Central wouldn't support handling v10 updates and the web site points me to an offline installer, much like how v9 mandated when v10 had arrived.

Last edited by Mikael B; 29th November 2019 at 07:41 AM..
Old 29th November 2019
Gear Nut
Please get the new Bezerk plugin from Waves, asap.

It is free at this time.

kinda compensates for having to pay for V11 upgrade...

Superb creative distortion plugin.....

Youtube demo below

https://youtu.be/cKmYxqvtk3g
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK1 View Post
Please get the new Bezerk plugin from Waves, asap.

It is free at this time.

kinda compensates for having to pay for V11 upgrade...

Superb creative distortion plugin.....

Youtube demo below

https://youtu.be/cKmYxqvtk3g
This is actually pretty cool. One of the more creative dist plugs to see the light of day in recent times.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ mattrixx and @ simon.billington , again thanks for sharing.

However, I found the current Waves Central wouldn't support handling v10 updates and the web site points me to an offline installer, much like how v9 mandated when v10 had arrived.
Actually that makes sense as V10 is no longer supported by Waves in the sense that it is no longer receiving maintenance updates.

But at least it still offers you a relatively straight forward way to install V10.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search