The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Opinion - A Piece of Gear You Bought Online....
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Nut

Your Opinion - A Piece of Gear You Bought Online....

A Piece of Gear You Bought Online arrives.

It's one you have waited for a long time and it is fairly expensive.

Visually, it looks good. But the Attack and Decay knobs and they are wobbly.

You let the seller know is a courteous way and they state "It wasn't like that when I packed it"

Opinions - Return or ask for partial refund?

---

It was listed in Mint condition

(Mint on this site = Items that are essentially in new condition but have been opened or played)
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Nut

Should add, the seller's solution is for me to tighten the pots.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

If the problem is the pot needs tightened, I'd tighten the pot. If the problem is the knob screw needs tightened, I'd tighten the knob screw.

Gosh, that was easy.
Old 27th October 2019
Quote:
they state "It wasn't like that when I packed it"
The seller is responsible for the item until it arrives to you. This means he is responsible for the packing and shipping of that item. It doesn't matter if he said 'it wasn't like that when i packed it', He is still responsible for that item to arrive to you the way it was pictured and described.

Mint condition means there are no defects and the item is in new working order.

Screw that seller for saying that!! Leave bad feedback and get your $$ back
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
If the problem is the pot needs tightened, I'd tighten the pot. If the problem is the knob screw needs tightened, I'd tighten the knob screw.

Gosh, that was easy.

You kinda of missed the guidelines for Mint and went all country on us.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The seller is responsible for the item until it arrives to you. This means he is responsible for the packing and shipping of that item. It doesn't matter if he said 'it wasn't like that when i packed it', He is still responsible for that item to arrive to you the way it was pictured and described.

Mint condition means there are no defects and the item is in new working order.

Screw that seller for saying that!! Leave bad feedback and get your $$ back
If it says Mint I sometimes ask about scratches for guitars but
not for racked audio gear; especially not pots. (Manley VB, ISA 430 Mk2 etc). Full refunds can be a hassle.

He blamed shipping. Something like "The pots were
not loose when I shipped it" (shipped very well in OEM box with nice packing
-UPS could have thrown it a 99 yards and it would have survived).
I video every unboxing unless it's from a known store. Next time I'll wiggle the pots too.

Anyway, it could have been worse. Sharing as it may help someone else out.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by votive View Post
Anyway, it could have been worse.
it sure could

Quote:
Sharing as it may help someone else out.
Videoing the unboxing is a useful suggestion. But otherwise, we really can't avoid taking a similar risk every time we buy used.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really. I know what "mint" means. I also know that anything removed from the packaging is not mint, regardless of how Reverb lets sellers describe it. In the Venn diagram of condition, used and mint never meet.

Bottomline is if you think it's more worthwhile to send the unit back at your cost than to tighten a screw to make a point about it not being "mint", then send it back. If you don't, tighten the screws. It is really that simple and everything else is internet dick wagging.

And if being "country" means I'd rather tighten the screws and spend $25 I'd waste on shipping on some Oxy so I can fvck my sister guilt free, then goldarn, I guess I'm country.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

I bought a used synth on Reverb that was listed a 'mint' not too long ago. It was far from it - dirty, scratched up, and smelling of smoke. Functionally, it was fine, and I was able to clean it up for the most part. Annoying, but not worth losing sleep over.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
I bought a used synth on Reverb that was listed a 'mint' not too long ago. It was far from it - dirty, scratched up, and smelling of smoke. Functionally, it was fine, and I was able to clean it up for the most part. Annoying, but not worth losing sleep over.
True.

Like take 60 seconds to wipe it down before boxing it.

No one wants your dust in the studio. And, if it's not new/mint, list in Excellent condition. Mint and Excellent -those actually do not interchange.
Old 28th October 2019
I ordered a computer monitor mount from the Amazon Warehouse. it was suppose to be in "like new" condition. When it arrived the outside box was in perfect shape. The inside box was torn open, all the mounting screws were missing and the mount itself looked like someone had tossed it down a flight of stairs. Not exactly in "like new" condition. I sent it back for a full refund. Seems like some people's ideas of "like new" are varied. FWIW
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Seems like some people's ideas of "like new" are varied. FWIW
I'm endlessly surprised by this -

I was just looking at a Lexicon 300 on Reverb listed in "Very Good" condition. The unit had a gouge on the faceplate with the paint missing, a button missing, and one rack ear was pulling away from the unit.
Old 31st October 2019
Deleted 509ab36
Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search